Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

All the cracked Sperfish make me nervous

3K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  pulser 
#1 ·
I'm really upset about all the cracked spearfish. I wa shopping this bike for last me a few years so I wouldn't have to put money in to a new bike. I don't want the new Spearfish because I would have to replace way to much to make a frame replacement work. And I don't like having to use an offset fork. So I am thinking about selling it at the Veloswap and getting the 2014 Spec. Aluminum Epic. I'm thinking I can get 3k for my fish.

#2 ·
I haven't heard of any "normal" sized riders breaking them. I'm 6'1" and 225 and a very agressive xc rider, though I've only broken one other frame (my only other f/s bike). It was tempting to sell the new replacement frame and move on. But in the end, I really enjoy the fit and ride of the Spearfish. My biggest fear is making a change for the worse..... The only temptation I had was the 2014 SF!

I cant say enough about how Salsa and my LBS handled my claim! From finding the crack to building my new complete frame w/ shock was 10 days. Pretty f-ing awesome if you ask me.

Just out of curiosity, what do you weigh?

#3 ·
I haven't heard of any "normal" sized riders breaking them. I'm 6'1" and 225 and a very agressive xc rider, though I've only broken one other frame (my only other f/s bike). It was tempting to sell the new replacement frame and move on. But in the end, I really enjoy the fit and ride of the Spearfish. My biggest fear is making a change for the worse..... The only temptation I had was the 2014 SF!

I cant say enough about how Salsa and my LBS handled my claim! From finding the crack to building my new complete frame w/ shock was 10 days. Pretty f-ing awesome if you ask me.

Just out of curiosity, what do you weigh?
Right now I am 175 but Im working hard to get back down to 160 or lower for next year. I race and plan on stepping up to Cat1 40+ next season. I'm really afraid of having that derailed mid season with a broken bike.

#6 ·
I'm actually faster on a full suspension. And yes your right I have more then one concern. Well its the same really, I don't like the lateral flex I feel sometimes in the rear and I am afraid that will lead to a failure. I also don't want a carbon bike because right now I can only afford one bike and I don't like having to second guess if I'm going to break my bike or not.

#5 ·
I weigh 240, have a 2011 fish, and ride quite a bit. No issues. If there was a weakness in this bike, I would have found it long ago.

Curious to hear about "all" the cracked spearfish you seem to see.

I think that the amount of people reporting this issue on the internet pale in comparison to the numbers of the bikes on the trail, if you catch my drift.

#7 ·
I weigh 240, have a 2011 fish, and ride quite a bit. No issues. If there was a weakness in this bike, I would have found it long ago.

Curious to hear about "all" the cracked spearfish you seem to see.

I think that the amount of people reporting this issue on the internet pale in comparison to the numbers of the bikes on the trail, if you catch my drift.
I'm 265, and haven't had any issues either. Southern MI trails are pretty mild, but we have our share of roots and rocks.

#13 ·
I wouldn't sweat it. I lived with this bike (2012 Salsa SF 2) in AZ, and now in PA (which is WAY more rocky and rooty, and puts a beating on a bike more than the trails I rode in AZ or CO) and I have yet to have an issue. I ride pretty aggressively, and weigh 180 lbs.

My only consideration is going from a 100mm fork to a 120mm....

#15 ·
"Not too far out". Me too, I can think of two or three instances of putting myself and the bike outside of our intended usage. The one "not too far out" moment that stands out in my mind left my rear Easton Haven out of round. I truly think faulty RT3 shocks are part of it. They have terrible bottoming resistance. I've never heard a clunk, but I have felt it bottom a time or two. Adjusting the pressure to lessen this, results in improper sag and a harsh mid stroke. I kinda wish they would have offered a Horsethief as a replacement....... or a 2014 SF!

#19 ·
At 6' & 200lbs my SF 1 has held up to thousands of miles (1 1/2 yrs old) of hard riding. Live in the rocky mid-west, competed in a couple of Enduros in CO, 3 weeks of CO trail riding along with a couple of days in Moab (Whole Enchilada). So, at least in my case the frame is capable of handling a lot more then its stated purpose.

#21 ·
And now my frame is cracked. The drive side dropout has a hairline crack right in the middle above the hanger running around to the first bolt. I emailed salsa this should be fun. The only other one I know about that cracked there got the claim denied.

#24 ·
Wow, this sucks.. I been keeping an eye on both my 2011 spearfish and 2012 Sita. I can see my SF cracking before my Sita. I ride it pretty hard, but I have a Sita and an SS Elmar that I rotate between with. I'm about 200lbs w/o gear. I like to ride my rear shock with about 210-250 psi.. Does anyone know if a higher pressure vs a lower pressure would cause more stress on the frame? I would think the lower pressure would, since it would allow the frame to flex more. I think if my frame cracks, I may replace with the same model and same gen, but a little newer (of course if I can find a frame on online). Or, a Niner Jet 9 alum. Does anyone know if the Jet 9 has the same riding characteristics as the SF?

#26 ·
Salsa warranted the frame. I didn't want to say any thing till I got the new one. Its sitting at the bike shop now I just have to go get it. Kind of crappy Salsa shipped the new frame with just an RA# and no UPS call tag so I have to pay the ship the broken one back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.