Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

All the cracked Sperfish make me nervous

I'm really upset about all the cracked spearfish. I wa shopping this bike for last me a few years so I wouldn't have to put money in to a new bike. I don't want the new Spearfish because I would have to replace way to much to make a frame replacement work. And I don't like having to use an offset fork. So I am thinking about selling it at the Veloswap and getting the 2014 Spec. Aluminum Epic. I'm thinking I can get 3k for my fish.

mtbr member
    I haven't heard of any "normal" sized riders breaking them. I'm 6'1" and 225 and a very agressive xc rider, though I've only broken one other frame (my only other f/s bike). It was tempting to sell the new replacement frame and move on. But in the end, I really enjoy the fit and ride of the Spearfish. My biggest fear is making a change for the worse..... The only temptation I had was the 2014 SF!

I cant say enough about how Salsa and my LBS handled my claim! From finding the crack to building my new complete frame w/ shock was 10 days. Pretty f-ing awesome if you ask me.

Just out of curiosity, what do you weigh?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CYCLEJCE View Post
    I haven't heard of any "normal" sized riders breaking them. I'm 6'1" and 225 and a very agressive xc rider, though I've only broken one other frame (my only other f/s bike). It was tempting to sell the new replacement frame and move on. But in the end, I really enjoy the fit and ride of the Spearfish. My biggest fear is making a change for the worse..... The only temptation I had was the 2014 SF!

I cant say enough about how Salsa and my LBS handled my claim! From finding the crack to building my new complete frame w/ shock was 10 days. Pretty f-ing awesome if you ask me.

Right now I am 175 but Im working hard to get back down to 160 or lower for next year. I race and plan on stepping up to Cat1 40+ next season. I'm really afraid of having that derailed mid season with a broken bike.

On your left.
    Jan 2004

Seems you've got more than 1 concern/critique regarding your spearfish. Personally, I think a carbon hardtail with a really nice fork would be your best bet for racing Cat1.
    M

Ride good on the internet
    Aug 2006
    I weigh 240, have a 2011 fish, and ride quite a bit. No issues. If there was a weakness in this bike, I would have found it long ago.

Curious to hear about "all" the cracked spearfish you seem to see.

I think that the amount of people reporting this issue on the internet pale in comparison to the numbers of the bikes on the trail, if you catch my drift.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Motivated View Post
    Seems you've got more than 1 concern/critique regarding your spearfish. Personally, I think a carbon hardtail with a really nice fork would be your best bet for racing Cat1.
    I'm actually faster on a full suspension. And yes your right I have more then one concern. Well its the same really, I don't like the lateral flex I feel sometimes in the rear and I am afraid that will lead to a failure. I also don't want a carbon bike because right now I can only afford one bike and I don't like having to second guess if I'm going to break my bike or not.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Pancake Adventure View Post
    I weigh 240, have a 2011 fish, and ride quite a bit. No issues. If there was a weakness in this bike, I would have found it long ago.

Curious to hear about "all" the cracked spearfish you seem to see.

I think that the amount of people reporting this issue on the internet pale in comparison to the numbers of the bikes on the trail, if you catch my drift.
    I'm 265, and haven't had any issues either. Southern MI trails are pretty mild, but we have our share of roots and rocks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by amadkins View Post
    I'm 265, and haven't had any issues either. Southern MI trails are pretty mild, but we have our share of roots and rocks.
    Come out to Colorado trails can be quite interesting at times.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I second this thought. Until recently, I have not heard of any cracked Spearfishes. I have bashed mine around for a year and have had no problems (I weigh 160). I think the number of perfectly good frames to cracked frames is VERY small.

mtbr member
    It looks like its just the QR swing arms. My 12x142 thru axle is stiff don't think it will
    be a problem.

mtbr member
    Been curious about this. Thanks for the heads up!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Re: All the cracked Sperfish make me nervous

Quote Originally Posted by fixgeardan View Post
    It looks like its just the QR swing arms. My 12x142 thru axle is stiff don't think it will
    be a problem.
    I'm running 10x135 with a dt rws, and it's quite sturdy. My only complaint is the pf30 bb creaking.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I wouldn't sweat it. I lived with this bike (2012 Salsa SF 2) in AZ, and now in PA (which is WAY more rocky and rooty, and puts a beating on a bike more than the trails I rode in AZ or CO) and I have yet to have an issue. I ride pretty aggressively, and weigh 180 lbs.

My only consideration is going from a 100mm fork to a 120mm....

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

I'm 5'9", 150lbs and mine broke. Semi aggressive riding in Colorado, but nothing too far outside of what this bike was supposed to do.

mtbr member
    "Not too far out". Me too, I can think of two or three instances of putting myself and the bike outside of our intended usage. The one "not too far out" moment that stands out in my mind left my rear Easton Haven out of round. I truly think faulty RT3 shocks are part of it. They have terrible bottoming resistance. I've never heard a clunk, but I have felt it bottom a time or two. Adjusting the pressure to lessen this, results in improper sag and a harsh mid stroke. I kinda wish they would have offered a Horsethief as a replacement....... or a 2014 SF!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by brdpkns View Post
    I'm 5'9", 150lbs and mine broke. Semi aggressive riding in Colorado, but nothing too far outside of what this bike was supposed to do.
    Well crap... now the idea is in the back of my head too. lol

Somehow you guys managed to make me go 180 degrees from "no way this is a real concern, not at all" to "oh crap my frame's gonna break and I'm gonna die" in a matter of a few hours. Lots of these stories on the Spearfish facebook page too.

Maybe it's time to sell the 'Fish and build a geared Nimble 9. Afterall, I haven't even ridden the 'Fish since I got the Nimble9 single speed I have been playing with lately anyways.

Actually, the poster above might be right that the shock might be a factor... have any SF1 or SF2 frames cracked? All the ones I have seen are the black/green color combo. No bright orange yet????

mtbr member
    Mine was orange.... was.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Mine was orange.... was.
    Crap. :/

There goes that theory. lol

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    At 6' & 200lbs my SF 1 has held up to thousands of miles (1 1/2 yrs old) of hard riding. Live in the rocky mid-west, competed in a couple of Enduros in CO, 3 weeks of CO trail riding along with a couple of days in Moab (Whole Enchilada). So, at least in my case the frame is capable of handling a lot more then its stated purpose.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I'm not worried. If my 13 goes, most of the parts can swap over to a Czar with no issues.

mtbr member
    And now my frame is cracked. The drive side dropout has a hairline crack right in the middle above the hanger running around to the first bolt. I emailed salsa this should be fun. The only other one I know about that cracked there got the claim denied.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Re: All the cracked Sperfish make me nervous

QR rear end or 142x12?

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky View Post
    QR rear end or 142x12?

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2
    QR rear an Orange one.

mtbr member
    Wow, this sucks.. I been keeping an eye on both my 2011 spearfish and 2012 Sita. I can see my SF cracking before my Sita. I ride it pretty hard, but I have a Sita and an SS Elmar that I rotate between with. I'm about 200lbs w/o gear. I like to ride my rear shock with about 210-250 psi.. Does anyone know if a higher pressure vs a lower pressure would cause more stress on the frame? I would think the lower pressure would, since it would allow the frame to flex more. I think if my frame cracks, I may replace with the same model and same gen, but a little newer (of course if I can find a frame on online). Or, a Niner Jet 9 alum. Does anyone know if the Jet 9 has the same riding characteristics as the SF?

Ride good on the internet
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pulser View Post
    And now my frame is cracked. The drive side dropout has a hairline crack right in the middle above the hanger running around to the first bolt. I emailed salsa this should be fun. The only other one I know about that cracked there got the claim denied.
    So what happened?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast