mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Ala Carte Titanium 650b

So after loving riding my El Mariachi Titanium 29er more and more, and riding the 26" Ala Carte Ti less and less (apart from racing) I decided to go with the trend and fit some 650b wheels to it. I did a lot of measuring, research and reading and it appeared the wheels would fit. I removed and sold my old DT XRC forks and picked up a fantastic price on the Fox. They really do look as if the frame was designed for 650b - even the chain stay tubing bends are all in the right place.

First ride is tomorrow, first race Sunday... Fingers crossed... I think the bars might get dropped a touch compared to the 26" wheels. Problem is, I'll have to do this with the spacers as I only have the one set of 650b tyres at the moment. Hopefully in 2013 Schwalbe will bring out a 2.25 Rocket Ron in 650b.

mtbr member
    NICE NICE NICE

just some guy
    sweet!

mtbr member
    Killer Diller!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Wow!!! That's nice!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    nice, but can we see the tire clearance in the rear?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Well after the first race and a total of 2hrs use, the rear tyre has a very worn sideall. Dalby killed it! Now I remember why I usually use snakeskin ones... Apart from the ruined tyre, the bike was great. Bars were too high for sure and so I've inverted the stem to see if that makes it better.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    In a break from tradition (I usually do Enduro6) I did the Gorrick 100 at Swinley Forest today - a 7 lap 70mile mtb race. *In the days leading up to the event I got a stinking cold and my head felt like it was going to explode. *Felt a bit better this morning, dosed up on the Lemsip and hit the race...

I rode with Ben Thomas for the first 5 1/2 laps which was a real surprise - I felt ok and the legs finally had some energy! *I think I overtrained a bit in March when it was sunny and have had a couple of easier lower volume weeks to recover and it seems to have worked. *After about 55 miles Ben took off and I had nothing left for a response - in the end he won by about 4-5mins I think. *

The ti Ala Carte felt fantastic with the 650b wheels - I really rate this size for racing as it feels so much quicker to accelerate and turn than the 29er, and as there were loads of brake/turn/sprint sections I think it was a good choice. *Horses for courses... *I've finally got the position spot on too. *Given the recent rain, the course was in fantastic condition. *There was about 20yards of bog in a 10mile lap - the rest was hardpack or firm loam. *Numbers seemed a bit down on normal - I guess people were put off by the weather but they made the wrong call!!

A brilliant day out and, realistically, I'm never going to beat Ben so I was extremely happy with 2nd.

GB

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Gee2 View Post
    Well after the first race and a total of 2hrs use, the rear tyre has a very worn sideall. Dalby killed it! Now I remember why I usually use snakeskin ones... Apart from the ruined tyre, the bike was great. Bars were too high for sure and so I've inverted the stem to see if that makes it better.

Awesome shots.
    Wanted: WTB rollercams and brake bridges

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Finally got some close ups of clearance uploaded...

The top 3 are my ti Ala Carte with 650b wheels fitted with 2.25 Ralphs (it was designed for 26")

Fox F100 2012:

Seatstays:

Chainstays:

These 2 are from my ti El Mariachi 29er with the same 2.25 Ralphs for comparison - clearances are all but identical:

mtbr member
    Very cool. Does anyone know if 650B will fit the old black Moto Rapido and the 26" Cromoto fork?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by limba View Post
    Very cool. Does anyone know if 650B will fit the old black Moto Rapido and the 26" Cromoto fork?
    I can say with 100% certainty that it does clear the fork. I had a Neo Moto in there. I don't know about the frame though.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the fork feedback.
    Hmmm, it looks like it would fit the frame. If anyone has tried it please let me know. I don't think I know anyone locally with 650B wheels...

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I'm not sure the Rapido would fit. The carbon stays are a pretty close fit around the wheel.

mtbr member
    I did some searching and my question was answered in 2009. It does work. Well, sort of. Some tires fit, some would rub. They said the front derailleur might rub some tires too.