mtbr member
    May 2011

60 cm Vaya big enough for me?

Hi, I've never purchased a bike with a sloping top tube, so the Vaya (my dream bike for touring and dirt roads) has me a bit nervous. I'm 6'4" with a pretty long inseam of 35". I comfortably ride my older Trek 970 22" that has a pretty level top tube. The seat post is out to near the max, but it works well. My road bike (level top tube) comes in at 24.5".

The Vaya geometry page (http://salsacycles.com/bikes/vaya/) lists the 60's seat tube length as 22.44". The Vaya's head tube is very generous at 8.46", so I'm fairly sure that the effective seat tube length would be good enough. I don't want to be bent over too much (handlebar needs to be almost to height of seat). Any thoughts? Not a lot of Salsa dealers in my area, and if so, they probably wouldn't stock that size.

PS: I'm also thinking of a Surly Crosscheck in 62 cm. I like the drive train and disc wheels on the Salsa when compared to the stock Surly. Thanks.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    personal preference...and while i am definitely not a fan of large frames and always default to the lower size if in question, i would not want larger than my 57 that i own - I am 6'2" with about a 34.5" inseam and love it for what its worth but again, personal preference

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I'm 6'2" with a 33" inseam and I'm riding a 57 also. I built it with a 400mm seatpost, but I probably didn't need it that long. I can't imagine the 60 wouldn't fit you.

rth009
    May 2010
    I'm 6'2" with a 34 inch inseam and wear 34-35" sleeve shirts and on a 60 cm vaya. I went with 60 because I like to be stretched out and have fit well on XL bikes (as well as Large) in the past. Im thinking about getting a shorter stem, but Im pretty dang comfortable with the seat pushed most of the way forward, but Im not too scientific about this stuff. Anyway, Im on the small side for this 60, but at 6'4", I bet you will be perfect. Its a great bike.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks for your replies. I emailed a guy (Dave) who posted some pics of his Vaya. He's the same size as me and says it fits him perfectly. Now if I can find one!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I'm 6'5" with a 34" pants inseam on a 60cm Chili Con Cross and it fits perfectly. Same ETT length as a 60cm Vaya. I also have a 62cm Traveler's Check. It fits just fine too. I think the Salsa actually fits a little better, even with the slightly shorter ETT.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    i would definitely get the biggest one. Especially if you want the bars high. I am only 6' tall and i still had to run a ton of spacers to get my bars high enough. My frame is a 58cm.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Guys,

Instead of me asking what size I should get, what do you think is the maximum height/inseam a 60cm frame can properly accommodate?

The reason I ask is because I'm virtually certain I'd need a 60cm but if it ends up looking like this 60cm bike, I'll be disappointed. In my non-expert opinion, this Vaya looks too small for its owner. That seems like a lot of seat post showing, and a lot of spacers needed to get the bars level...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 60 cm Vaya big enough for me?-60cmvaya.jpg  

Ugly Finn
    Mar 2009
    I'd like to hear some expert opinion on this too. Anyone? I have a 37"-38" inseam and am looking hard at getting a Vaya.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Being 6'4, 51 years old and prone to a sore back, I've found the biggest issue on most bikes I've had is trouble getting the bars high enough. Sounds like your 6'7" or 6'8". You'd probably be able to get the seat high enough, but you'll have to fool with the front end quite a bit. I wish these companies would make a few bigger frames. My son is 6'9 and would like to get into riding. Not a lot of affordable choices for guys his size, although modifying usually works pretty well.

My shop couldn't get me a Vaya this summer, but he found a good deal on a 2010 Trek Portland 63 cm. It's a great bike that I got for about $500 off the regular price. It fits very well, and would probably fit someone a little taller than me. I also put a Salsa Woodchipper bar. It's the most comfortable handlebar I've ever owned.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 60 cm Vaya big enough for me?-new-bike.jpg