mtbr member
    Nov 2011

38t/26t Double ok for El-Mar?

Hey Salsa Gang!

I've got a pair of TA Specialites chainrings size 38t and 26t and I was considering putting these on my Medium El-Mar Ti when my current triple wears out. However I've got this nagging feeling that I once read that this combination won't work on an El-Mar. Any thoughts on this?

Birthday Collector
    No real reason that the crank/rings should not work, as long as you have the proper BB spacing and spindle set-up on the bike. FWIW, there are new cranks out there with the same/similar size rings available that probably shift a whole lot better and will have a stiffer crank arm, more strength, etc...
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living
    http://www.endlesscyclesonline.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Aren't the current XT cranks were amongst the best then?

mtbr member
    If you've got the rings, give it a try and you'll know right away.
    The only reason a combination would not work is if the rings touch the chainstays with your current spider position but I doubt you would have a problem. I'm running a 26-38 on a Deore crankset on my 29er gravel grinder and shifting between the 2 non-ramped rings is very easy.
    You can also visually assess the leeway you have with your current setup (22/32 I guess) and see if the increased diameter would be an issue.