Thread: 27.5 +? not

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

27.5 +? not

Is there any reason why we can't use 27.5 + wheelset on a 2014/15 Mukluk.

beer thief
    Why not? I'm planning to do it on my Bucksaw.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    One concern is bb height. Look at the diameter of the tires you intend to use compared to the fatty tires. I think you'll be a little lower, until they come out with a wider range of tires and some slightly chubbier ones.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by idinomac View Post
    Is there any reason why we can't use 27.5 + wheelset on a 2014/15 Mukluk.
    I guess no, but it might be easier when more tires are available in this size

Saludos,
    Federico
    Soon to be bikepacking South America making & printing family portraits for those who've NONE. www.theironlyportrait.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I kind of got the idea from the Bucksaw and the new Pivot fat bike. Pivot uses a rear dropouts that have an ark to it to bring the bike up as well as a thicker bottom headset cup. I have already contacted Salsa about how easy this could be done on the Mukluk a thicker bottom headset cup and a little longer alternator on the rear of the bike.. But then I got to thinking that I heard 27.5 + is about the same as 29er.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    And yeah, the none availability of the 650B/27.5 + size tires is the killjoy to this idea. I live in northern MN. But I'm staying in Florida till the ice is off the lakes. I'm riding lots of single track on my Mukluk it beats the crap out of me hitting all the roots & I miss my Spearfish some but I sold it to help pay for my wifes Mukluk. The good in that is she loves her new bike and wants to ride more than ever.

I have a few ideas rolling around in my head like get rid of my Mukluk frame and get a Bucksaw frame but that's a big bike that I would want for the dirt mostly and so I would want the 27.5 + wheels and tires 99% of the time or go with a Horsethief.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

27.5 +? not

I'm not sure about the 27.5+, but a lot of people are building 29+ wheels for their mukluks, if my income could keep up with my bike addiction Id build up a set of velocity dually 29er wheels for mine.

Harmonius Wrench

Overall Wheel Diameter

Mukluk with 3.8" tires on stock rims = (approx) overall wheel diameter of a Mukluk with 3.0 27.5+ tires on ISO584 rims (27.5" rims).

In other words, a fairly direct swap from your standard fatty wheels to 27.5+ with little to no geometry changes. It isn't an "exact swap in terms of the numbers, but it is very close. Both wheel sizes are approximately 29".

29+ is approximately 31" in diameter, so when you swap to those wheels in a Mukluk, you are changing the geo significantly.

A better candidate for a 29+ swap in a fat bike is any fat bike that was designed around 4.8" tires, like the Blackborow. 4.8" tires and Clown Shoes are approximately 31" in diameter, much like a 50mm wide rim/Knard 3.0 combo (29+)
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted View Post
    Mukluk with 3.8" tires on stock rims = (approx) overall wheel diameter of a Mukluk with 3.0 27.5+ tires on ISO584 rims (27.5" rims).

In other words, a fairly direct swap from your standard fatty wheels to 27.5+ with little to no geometry changes. It isn't an "exact swap in terms of the numbers, but it is very close. Both wheel sizes are approximately 29".

29+ is approximately 31" in diameter, so when you swap to those wheels in a Mukluk, you are changing the geo significantly.

A better candidate for a 29+ swap in a fat bike is any fat bike that was designed around 4.8" tires, like the Blackborow. 4.8" tires and Clown Shoes are approximately 31" in diameter, much like a 50mm wide rim/Knard 3.0 combo (29+)
    I've got a friend who ran 29+ in his Muk last summer, and didn't like the change in handling on the bike. I agree that a b+ setup would be pretty close to a direct swap with a 26x3.8 setup, just a little bit lighter.