2015 Mukluk Ti
    2014 S Works Epic Egger
    2014 Scott Genius 740

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Dig the paint-jobs.
    They also announced a tandem 29er.

Human Test Subject
    Finally, I can have the feel of riding on lower air pressures without bending all the way over to let air out.

I feel bad for the people who bought the Ti models not knowing they'd be 6% crummier than aluminum
    You change your own flats? Support your LBS and pay them to instead.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    2016?
    There are three kinds of people: those of us that are good at math and those that are not.

Team Captain
    Jan 2004
    If anyone wants to unload their "obsolete" Ti Warbird in a 60cm, I'd much prefer having one of those instead of this new garbage.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I wouldn't call the new stuff garbage, but I too would prefer to have a Ti one. However, I'm riding a 9-year-old cross-check, so who am I to judge.

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Bike Rumor stated there are frame only options, but Salsa seems to have expunged all that from the website. Seems like they are pushing built bikes.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

Team Captain
    Jan 2004
    Makes sense they'd want to go complete, they're pushing an aluminum frame/carbon fork with a 105 build for $2500 bucks. I picked up a Raleigh Willard 2 (aluminum/carbon, 105 build, nearly identical spec) for only $1400 bucks from my LBS.

mtbr member
    Great looking bikes. I do wonder if full carbon makes sense for gravel. That could be a lot of rocks hitting the frame.
    He who dares....wins!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mtroy View Post
    Bike Rumor stated there are frame only options, but Salsa seems to have expunged all that from the website. Seems like they are pushing built bikes.
    I'd wouldn't read too much into what is or isn't on the Salsa website at the moment. These bikes won't be available until summer. Not saying you're wrong, but the frameset options for 2015 bikes were one of the last updates they made to the 2015 specs listed on their website. I remember this because I had to wait quite awhile the get frameset details on the 2015 fargos.

Too busy looking good
    Quote Originally Posted by Volsung View Post
    Finally, I can have the feel of riding on lower air pressures without bending all the way over to let air out.

I feel bad for the people who bought the Ti models not knowing they'd be 6% crummier than aluminum
    Just curious, Volsung, what info are you basing your comparison of the Ti versus Al Warbirds?

Too busy looking good
    Quote Originally Posted by HOser View Post
    Just curious, Volsung, what info are you basing your comparison of the Ti versus Al Warbirds?
    Ah, I answered my own question, you must have been referring to the bikerumor.com article comparing the 2016 Al frame to the 2015 Ti frame:
    All New Salsa Warbird Gravel Racers Take Flight, Plus Powderkeg Mountain Tandem is Ready to Roll

I have a 2015 Ti frame. I'm 6% pissed off.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Also, checkout the Warbird video posted on the Salsa site. They mention that in testing the new frame design both the carbon and AL models were more compliant than the Ti model. That's sorta three strikes against the Ti warbird. More expensive, heavier, and less compliant than the AL model. Maybe that's why they seem to be removing it from their lineup

mtbr member
    The aluminum Warbirds sound too good to be true. I am definitely checking them out when they're available. The orange Tiagra model looks great on the web. I love the new styling
    He who dares....wins!

mtbr member
    Just snagged the Tiagra in green. Tossing on a carbon seatpost, maybe some different tires and will go from there. Looks to be a pretty awesome bike. Currently chomping at the bit to get out and ride...just got 9.5 inches of snow...being closely followed by .5 inches of ice...then rain.

Ick.
    91 Schwinn High Plains
    12 Trek Marlin SS
    14 Trek Crossrip
    14 Surly PugOps
    15 Trek Superfly 7 FS
    16 Salsa Warbird Tiagra

CS2
    mtbr member
    H
    Ah, I answered my own question, you must have been referring to the bikerumor.com article comparing the 2016 Al frame to the 2015 Ti frame:
    All New Salsa Warbird Gravel Racers Take Flight, Plus Powderkeg Mountain Tandem is Ready to Roll

It's pretty hard to quantify vibration on a frame.
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

Harmonius Wrench
    Maybe it is, but the engineer in charge of the Warbird project did use accelerometers to measure vibrations, and that's where the figures came from. Exactly how that was done, I cannot say, but it isn't like they plucked these numbers from thin air.

I happen to trust the guy, because I know him, but I know also that there will be doubters and naysayers. It is the internet after all.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    LOL! Could be worse huh?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I've been racing a cross-check and I love the comfort factor, but would love something lighter/faster... I'm trying to find a reason NOT to order the carbon Warbird.

Too busy looking good
    Quote Originally Posted by el nobody View Post
    LOL! Could be worse huh?
    I could be much worse, very true. Actually I was not even remotely serious, I don't think I'd swap my Ti frame for a new carbon one, even if I could for no cost. I'm very happy with my Warbird and have ridden the hell out of it since I got it 4 months ago. I've always had a liking for Ti after reluctantly retiring an old Moots frame a while back.

I've also dumped my Warbird on ice a couple times, I shudder to think what condition those bowed out carbon seat stays would be in after this kind of treatment.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I've also dumped my Warbird on ice a couple times, I shudder to think what condition those bowed out carbon seat stays would be in after this kind of treatment.
    Yikes, never thought about that!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Anyone know how the Warbird would do in traditional cyclocross race scenarios?

Too busy looking good
    Anyone know how the Warbird would do in traditional cyclocross race scenarios?
    I don't know this from direct experience, but I think the biggest problem you'd have is with the lack of stand over height. It's nice having a high top tube to make room for lots of water bottles and a frame bag, but you'd probably hurt yourself in a CX race if you do a lot of dismounting/running/mounting.

Birthday Collector
    If you look on the "Build Kit" tab on the Salsa page for the Warbird Carbon, they list the Black Frame option - $1999.99 - competitive pricing for a carbon frame/fork. The AL frame set is $999.00, both come with carbon forks.
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living
    http://www.endlesscyclesonline.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I've been racing a cross-check and I love the comfort factor, but would love something lighter/faster... I'm trying to find a reason NOT to order the carbon Warbird.
    My Tamland has been great, but would love something lighter as well.

Any info on frameset weight of the Al version?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast