mtbr member
    May 2014

2015 Horsethief models announced... including carbon!

Check it out.

I'm excited that Salsa is adding more options... now if only they made an XXL for me.

mtbr member
    Looks quite nice. Getting pricey though at close to 7K for the top of the line bike. Wondering when the Spearfish will be released. I am guessing a well equipped fish will weigh 21-22 in carbon?

Salsa Cycles

Quote Originally Posted by asollie View Post
    Check it out.

I'm excited that Salsa is adding more options... now if only they made an XXL for me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Re: 2015 Horsethief models announced... including carbon!

Holy smokes! Yall know this means a carbon bucksaw is next! The only question is how many braze ons can you put on a carbon frame....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newking View Post
    I am guessing a well equipped fish will weigh 21-22 in carbon?
    By well equipped are you talking about a bike with no pedals from a weight weenie standpoint?

That number seems too low to represent a real build I'd ever be riding on. Granted, I ride a L frame, but even with nice, lightweight component, my Horsethief is north of 29 lbs. with pedals as a 2x10. I know 1x could drop a lot of weight I'm not willing to drop, but I just don't see how even a 1x carbon Spearfish ends up in the 21-22 lbs. range.
    2014 Horsethief, 2013 Karakoram, NB-AT3, 2006 Giant XtC

mtbr member
    What I am interested to know about these new carbon frames is what Salsa's warranty looks like for their carbon frames.

Right now, the homepage reads as follows:
    Five Year Warranty
    Steel frames for original owner
    Titanium frames for original owner
    Carbon frames for original owner

Three Year Warranty
    Aluminum frames for original owner
    All other Salsa bicycle forks, parts and components

This warranty applies to 2014 and newer model bicycles and covers only Salsa Cycles branded product.
    In theory, that sounds very good. It goes on to list, among all the normal caveats, damage to carbon fiber caused by any carbon assembly paste. I'm hoping the new frames are very tough, and that warranty issues are both few and far between and that Salsa customers are taken care of if anything does happen.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by peteer01 View Post
    That number seems too low to represent a real build I'd ever be riding on. Granted, I ride a L frame, but even with nice, lightweight component, my Horsethief is north of 29 lbs. with pedals as a 2x10. I know 1x could drop a lot of weight I'm not willing to drop, but I just don't see how even a 1x carbon Spearfish ends up in the 21-22 lbs. range.
    The 2014 Spearfish XX1 Large weighed 24.21 lbs, so you're probably right. I doubt they could get another two pounds off that weight.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by asollie View Post
    The 2014 Spearfish XX1 Large weighed 24.21 lbs, so you're probably right. I doubt they could get another two pounds off that weight.
    I believe the published weights are without pedals, right? It sounds like a Large carbon Spearfish with pedals will probably be between 24 and 25 lbs., which is still very, very impressive.

Getting caught up on trying to shed that extra pound or two isn't worth it in my mind. But that should be obvious based on the fact that I'm running a 2x setup.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Very cool. Was considering a Horsethief, but the lack of carbon had me staying away (currently have a carbon 26", and want to stay with carbon). Now this changes everything. Horsethief, Santa Cruz TB LTc, or Niner RIP9 RDO??? Must evaluate and pull the trigger.

I don't recall seeing any availability dates in the pressers. Anyone know? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I saw this announcement in my email a few days ago. I was excited and disappointed simultaneously. Carbon is cool but too freakin expensive. The lowest cost option for a Horsethief is now $3400. Not too long ago the Big Mama was a sweet new bike with MSRP of $2200. Salsa has lost some mojo in the last few years, sure they make cool bikes but geez who can't make a cool bike for 3 or 7 thousand dollars. Even the El Mariachi single speed is like $500 overpriced, a steel frame and fork with one gear for $1,400? Just a couple years ago that price got you a Reba fork and 3x9 speed drivetrain.

I love Salsa bikes, great company with great guys running the show and awesome customer service. But they have priced themselves out of my range and I doubt I will be able to buy another Salsa because of it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Anyone know if this new 2015 carbon horsethief will be available as a frame only?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I just placed an order for a Horsethief Carbon 1! Super excited! It's going to be a few weeks before it shows up, unfortunately, and I wont get much time on it before the snow falls here in MN.