Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Ride good on the internet
    Aug 2006

2014 Salsa Split Pivot

Aaaand the blog post that was pulled down earlier is back up!

Salsa & Split Pivot | Salsa Cycles

all the dealers i talked to this winter were pretty excited about these at the preview in feb, so i figured i would start a new thread cause this stuff looks pretty good

I hope they addressed a few things...like chain-stay length.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    The Devinci Atlas uses the Dave Weagle Split Pivot suspension system and many reviews rave about how incredible it is. The chainstay length is 16.9" (just about the shortest there is on 29ers). It will be interesting to see what Salsa does with it on their bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I am torn on this move by Salsa. One of the reasons that I bought the Spearfish was the Flexing Rear Triangle. It was simple and functional. I hope this offers a HUGE improvement as I am sure it will come with some sort of a cost premium.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I'm not against this move at all, with the exception of the price changes with the bikes. Four models of the '14 Spearfish and the cheapest went up by several hundred according to the e-mail I got from Salsa. Granted, there was a bump in spec compared to the 2013 SF 3 model. As a prospective buyer of an entry-level FS closer to the 2k mark, this bike has probably moved out of my price range.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I don't like the change, it costs more, is more to maintain, unnecessary complicated and it costs more. The original Horsethief was around $2,700 and now the cheapest is $3,200. It used to be a bargain, but compared to the new Trek Fuel EX 29ers, Giant Trance 29er and some Special Ed something else 29ers it's no longer a great value. Sorry Salsa you're losing me on this move.

On a plus side, they do have cool new colors!

AOK
    mtbr member

2014 Salsa Split Pivot

Love the ano orange. And the fact that they have 142x12 rear across the line. Also liking the Fox rear shocks. I agree with those who would prefer a threaded BB, although BB92 sounds better to me than the PF30 of previous models.

I am very interested to see the geometry.
    Last edited by AOK; 06-19-2013 at 11:09 AM.

On your left.
    Jan 2004

2014 Salsa Split Pivot

After less than stellar experience with a Mamasita and Spearfish - I swore I'd never buy another Salsa. If this update has short chainstays (and some other needed improvements) I may just eat my words.
    M

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    No geometry changes announced, but alluded to in the details. Guessing the chainstays are going to be shorter b/c the email specs stated max 2x10 gearing as 38t (down from 39t OEM in 12/13). Also noticed that they're specing the forks with 51mm offset vs the "standard" 44-46mm currently

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Hmmm, torn on this one !
    What drew me to the Horsethief in the first place was that whole KISSaura(KeepItSimpleStupid) it had ; no rear pivot , threaded BB,straight tubes(Ok not all of them).
    Im sure this splitpivot thing rides great , but would I notice it in a big way compared to the 2012 Horsethief Ive been on for the last 14-15month ?
    But since you are gonna change it can you a least:
    Keep the threaded BB,
    Shorten the chainstays a little(plenty room for that at the BB area), Increase the mud clearance a little at the seatstay brace and
    Go for a removable front mechclamp(more and more 1x drivetrains in the future !)

Just in case I need a new frame in the coming years :-)

mtbr member
    May 2010

mtbr member
    I love my Spearfish and I got it because it was really high in the price to performance ratio. It was about the highest performance full suspension 29r for the price. I will be really interested to see what this does to the cost of frames.

mtbr member
    Anyone want to sell me a Small, White 2013 Spearfish frame?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I will have a Spearfish 1 large frame for sale as soon as I can get the new version, Frame Only.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Re: 2014 Salsa Split Pivot

Hell, I hope to just have my '13 spearfish 1 frame built up and ridable before you guys start giving ride reviews on the '14's.

Also, with the Turner Czar being released 2 weeks after I decided to buy the SF, I would probably go that route if the 2014 SF frame set is more than $1700 or so, as I'm retiring my old flux and can trade it in for $600 off a new Turner.

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member

2014 Salsa Split Pivot

You guys get so wrapped around the numbers. Split pivot rides wonderfully. Salsa made a great move with getting this tech.
    99% of the problems and questions posted here would be answered if people actually walked into a bicycle shop and asked

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 69erEverything View Post
    You guys get so wrapped around the numbers. Split pivot rides wonderfully. Salsa made a great move with getting this tech.
    Only number I am worried about is $.....I have all the faith in the world that Salsa has done thier homework. I might be a fanboy.

Harmonius Wrench
    Here's a good article with all the geometry, weight, price, and spec details: Salsa Cycles Spearfish And Horsethief ? First Look - BikeRadar

mtbr member
    In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
    Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

AOK
    mtbr member

2014 Salsa Split Pivot

Thanks for the article links. Really liking the geo changes. It sure sounds like Salsa has designed a couple of winners.

On your left.
    Jan 2004

2014 Salsa Split Pivot

Seriously - Salsa seems to really be trying with these 2 bikes and they appear to be worth waiting for - although Fall release might as well be spring 2014 where I live.
    M

mtbr member
    I honestly haven't been this excited about a new bike in a while. I really dug my first Horsethief, and with the geometry changes I think it's going to be a killer ride.

Hmm time to start saving!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Looking at the stats from the Bike Radar article----6lbs (with rear axle added in?) for the Spearfish is a bit on the heavy side for a xc race bike, on the other hand, if you look at the list carefully, the XX1 specked Spearfish bike has just about the EXACT same components as the new Turner Czar Pro build and the price difference is $5499 vs $7033 (for the XX1 bike Czar, not the XTR). The weight of the frame on the carbon Turner Czar is 5.2lbs. That's a nice chunk of change saved for 0.8lbs. It will be interesting to see more of the reviews as they come in. It looks like they have a winner here.

mtbr member
    the orange ano'd Spearfish looks sweet!
    C-DALE FLASH 29 Carbon 2 (19.6 lbs)
    C-DALE BB1

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I like the new frames, but damn I will need to buy a new fork, a new Bottom Bracket and possibly a crankset or bb30 adapter. My 2012 spearfish 1 performs well enough as it is.

mtbr member
    I agree, I'm not anxious to make the switch from the orig sf1. After looking at the dirt rag article there a few things I don't care for. The frame gained 1lb, has a longer wheelbase, the geo is now similiar to a trek Superfly (slack ha and 51mm offset fork) not necessarily bad but not typical Salsa, and the new cable routing looks messy (internal routing would have been much cleaner IMO). None of those are a real deal killer but add in changing the fork and needing an adapter for the crank makes it a tough pill to swallow for those upgrading frames. I like the choice of colored ano'd frames over the paint and the bb area looks like it was beefed up quite a bit. I'm sure it's an overall improvement but when I bought the Spearfish,I was looking for a Dos Niner replacement (a simple short travel,firm suspension). All of this is to say, I hope this means the Dos Niner sabitical is nearing an end.
    C-DALE FLASH 29 Carbon 2 (19.6 lbs)
    C-DALE BB1

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast