mtbr member

2014 Salsa Spearfish Sizing

I have been comparing sizing from the 2014 vs 2013 and previous years Spearfish.

Looking at the frame, there was no real difference, the (effective) top tube lengths have remained the same.

However the rear is shortened up quite a bit. I was wondering if anyone has been on both, more importantly how you like the sizing for the new 2014 Fish. Have you been surprised by the sizing or is is just right.

Personally I am 5'10" with a 32" inseam. Salsa thinks I should ride a medium frame see fit here: 2014 Spearfish 1 | Bikes | Salsa Cycles Sitting on the Med felt very tight. Maybe its because I ride a large Stumpy HT frame. I will be racing on the Fish, long distance, Colorado Trail Race, Vapor Trail, 100 Mile rides.

The large also felt tight, but slightly less. Not sure why Salsa didn't go with an offset seatpost, I think this would help. Any and all advices is greatly appreciated. I know both will work, but I'm trying to find the best fit for my riding.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

About your size (5'11") and very happy with size L w/ straight post. Haven't yet been on the '14 but would still go for a large.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vtskibum View Post
    About your size (5'11") and very happy with size L w/ straight post. Haven't yet been on the '14 but would still go for a large.
    Anything that you felt when you first hopped on that you were concerned about, but got used to?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

In the store I swapped the stock 110 for 100mm stem. Later put on wider bars and an 80mm stem where it's stayed.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I am the same size as you - 5' 10", 32 inseam and I have longer arms. I ride a 2012 Spearfish medium because I like a slightly tighter bike. It fits me perfectly.

My friend just bought a 2014 size large (he is a bigger guy than me) and I can easily ride it as well, but I would personally ride a medium 2014. If you are worried about it, just get a size large and get a shorter stem.

mtbr member
    What is his inseam if you know off the top of your head. Yeah, I'm leaning towards the LG just need to ask around, make sure I'm not messing this up. Ha!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I am 6' and picked up a Large 2014 Spearfish.

I had demo'd a 2012 Spearfish Medium and it felt like the perfect size. At the dealer that I picked up my bike they had a Medium and a Large and the Medium felt very cramped compared to the '12 Med SF. I didn't ride them both on actual trails but I did tool around town on both of them.

Hopefully this helps.

-mike

mtbr member
    May 2013
    A funny question to ask my friend, but he has a 32" inseam.

mtbr member
    haha, thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Hey everybody,

I would advise against using an offset post. Not that it will cause your frame to spontaneously explode, but the SplitPivot bikes are design specifically around straight posts. The 437mm chainstay and 51mm offset fork do a lot of great things for the new bikes and how they ride, but if paired with an offset post will put the riders weight too far back which most noticeably can cause the rider to loose the front end sooner on climbs, and also has some other subtle effects on the bikes efficiency under power. Stem length and frame size are a better place to look for fitting (unless you have some type of knee issues that require using an offset post).

-PK@Salsa

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarf View Post
    Hey everybody,

I would advise against using an offset post. Not that it will cause your frame to spontaneously explode, but the SplitPivot bikes are design specifically around straight posts. The 437mm chainstay and 51mm offset fork do a lot of great things for the new bikes and how they ride, but if paired with an offset post will put the riders weight too far back which most noticeably can cause the rider to loose the front end sooner on climbs, and also has some other subtle effects on the bikes efficiency under power. Stem length and frame size are a better place to look for fitting (unless you have some type of knee issues that require using an offset post).

-PK@Salsa
    Interesting, thanks for your feedback. That pretty much made my decision then. Sounds like a large it will be.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    If it helps I just pulled the trigger on a 2014 Spearfish 2 and I am also 5'10" with a 32" inseam. As you mentioned the sizing put me on a medium but I felt much more comfortable on a large and thats what i went with. They had a carry over 2013 in medium that I also rode and I rode the 2014 medium and I would say the "cockpit" felt the same between the 2013 and 2014 medium the ride was a bit different between the two. We are kinda in that size range that we could ride a large or medium it just comes down to preference. For what its worth I moved from an Anthem to the Spearfish and I orginally bought a L in the Anthem then sold it for a M but after a few long rides on the M I was kicking myself and wish i still had the L.....I went with a M just to gain a little more standover clearance.