Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by pigmode View Post
    Took me less than an hr, for 1x10 geared to SS. That would include switching rear tire to SS wheel, and sliding the grip to remove rt. shifter. My chainrings slide through the driveside crank arm.
    Oh ok, that's not bad......thanks!
    Passionate about Wheelz!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Force Wheelz View Post
    Got the frame in.The orange is amazing..... just in your face... and some!
    I just got mine two weeks ago and love the way it rides, and I love the orange as well. Definitely less red than your pictures look—it just pops!

Can't wait to see yours all built up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Just put my deposit down on the 2014 SS. My LBS just got mine in and put it on layaway for me. Can't wait to ride it.. Pretty sweet bike in person.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Another vote of confidence for Shimano bits. I don't know the brakes cos I have Hope but the SLX drivechain bits work brilliantly. SLX rear mechs in combination with XT shifters work just fine. I definitely reccommend the Shadow Plus mechs for smoother and quieter runnuing.

On my El-Mar Ti 1 x10 I have Works Components Narrow/Wide 32T on XT cranks, XT shifters, and SLX clutch rear mech. It's all working very smoothly indeed. Hope X2-Evo brakes though - Love 'em (sorry Shimano).
    Last edited by Tea@Dimbola; 12-07-2013 at 03:05 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Sounds good..... I'm going to run the X2 in the rear, and the new E4 at the front... just a bit more bite if needed (although this will be more of a fun, do all bike.... if it gets too hilly or bumpy I'll be taking my Salsa Spearfish..... also with Hope brakes by the way.... (sorry Shimano )
    Passionate about Wheelz!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Hope brakes FTW.

DOI: live 15 miles from the factory, and due to financial constraints am recycling X2s off the old bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Force Wheelz- funny you should mention the Spearfish. I've just got myself a 2012 bright orange frame. I'm planning to strip the El-Mar Ti and put the bits on the new Fish frame. I got the El-Mar thinking it would completely replace my Turner Flux. It's been fantstic but I've felt that I still need the Flux sometimes. At the moment I ride the El-Mar about 85-90% of the time and just take the Flux when I'm expecting harsher trails or faster bumpy downhills.
    The plan is to see if Spearfish can replace both bikes. I'll be taking the SF to all those places where the El-Mar is a bit 'twitchy' and where I've thought "I should have brought the Flux instead." The proof of the 'Fish Pie' will be in the eating!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Tea@Dimbola OK, I wonder which one you will chose. I wouldn't want to choose between a Fish and a El-Mar, not for here in Holland anyway.......
    Lot's of flat stuff here, so the El-Mar is perfect for that (and for on the beaches with the wide Schwalbe Super Moto's). But if I go to the south, or even Germany or Belgium, then the Fish just rock's.
    (this being based on my logic of how I THINK the El-Mar will be, seeing as it's not built yet....... final parts coming in next week I hope!!
    Passionate about Wheelz!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I'll put the finished photo's up the weekend!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2014 Salsa El Mariachi-p1010379.jpg  

2014 Salsa El Mariachi-p1010376.jpg  

2014 Salsa El Mariachi-p1010380.jpg  

2014 Salsa El Mariachi-p1010381.jpg  

2014 Salsa El Mariachi-p1010382.jpg  

Passionate about Wheelz!

The Next 100 Miler
    Quote Originally Posted by Force Wheelz View Post
    I'll put the finished photo's up the weekend!
    THAT is going to be a beautiful bike!

mtbr member
    The orange!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by pigmode View Post
    The orange!!!
    It is an amazing orange (called General Lee Orange) and to be truthfull, the photo's don't do it justice.
    I'm going to take it to the beach and the forest tomorrow, so I'll post some stuff tomorrow.
    Passionate about Wheelz!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Very nice.....Orange and Black, work well together.
    Tahoe29er

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Well guys, I took the bike to the woods and beach today.... just for a little photo shoot... be riding next weekend....... Here are just a few photo's to get an idea of the looks of the bike..... I'll put more on my Facebook page (Force Wheelz).
    I'm not a pro photographer, so couldn't do much with the colour..... the ones on the beach beside the concrete blocks give the most "realistic" colour.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2014 Salsa El Mariachi-p1010383.jpg  

2014 Salsa El Mariachi-p1010386.jpg  

2014 Salsa El Mariachi-p1010395.jpg  

2014 Salsa El Mariachi-p1010414.jpg  

2014 Salsa El Mariachi-p1010438.jpg  

2014 Salsa El Mariachi-p1010439.jpg  

2014 Salsa El Mariachi-p1010450.jpg  

2014 Salsa El Mariachi-p1010455.jpg  

2014 Salsa El Mariachi-p1010456.jpg  

2014 Salsa El Mariachi-p1010459.jpg  

2014 Salsa El Mariachi-p1010466.jpg  

Passionate about Wheelz!

mtbr member
    Sweetness.

mtbr member
    Great bike! How do you like the super moto's? I also want to try them on my 2012 elmariachi. What pressure do you use?

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Igoreha View Post
    Great bike! How do you like the super moto's? I also want to try them on my 2012 elmariachi. What pressure do you use?
    Thanks..... Super Moto's are cool for on ther beach or asfalt..... I use, depending where I ride, roughly 1.8bar.
    Passionate about Wheelz!

mtbr member
    Force Wheelz, Did you get the chance to compare specs of the Syncros to the Salsa steel fork?

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    @Pigmode I didn't because this is a "temporary" fork until the Salsa Firestarter will be available in the new year (I have one pre-orderd). It was always the plan to put the Firestarter in (seeing as this was designed with the Fargo and El Mariachi in mind.
    The Syncros was a choice with the future in mind (either a good 2nd hand selling fork, or keep ik for maybe an all carbon rigid racy build). The Syncros has a 7mm smaller rake compaired to the Firestarter. I have this bike clearly for fun, messing about and being able to take it on the beach without risking my expensive suspention en moving parts on my (very much loved) Salsa Spearfish Custom due to salty water etc. So I'm going to get a couple of months riding in, then swich forks and compare the two.
    Also, it will be interesting to see the visual differences between en "suspension looking" Syncros and the Firestarter.
    Passionate about Wheelz!

mtbr member
    Looking forward to your impressions.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    What's the current thinking on stem length for a M El Mar?

Effective TT on current bike 16mm shorter, with 110mm stem & 685mm bars; thinking 80mm stem and 740mm Fatbar Lite, but open to suggestions.

The Next 100 Miler
    Quote Originally Posted by ratherbeintobago View Post
    What's the current thinking on stem length for a M El Mar?

Effective TT on current bike 16mm shorter, with 110mm stem & 685mm bars; thinking 80mm stem and 740mm Fatbar Lite, but open to suggestions.
    I shortened my stem to 90mm and added Ergon grips with bar ends. I like the shorter wider position.

Knocked out 96 miles in a race yesterday on my El Mar single speed. Love it!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Bumping this thread to see if anyone has a frame weight for one of these. Did some searching, but I didn't find anything.

EDIT: Derp, found it on Salsa's website.
    Last edited by cm_mtb; 04-21-2014 at 06:36 AM.

mtbr member
    hello, just ordered my new orange El Mar frame! Thinking to put on a Manitou Tower Pro 80mm stripped from a Karate Monkey that will become my commuter.
    Pretty worried about those 20mm of missing travel...
    Any thought? suggestion?
    Thanks alot

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by madbike View Post
    hello, just ordered my new orange El Mar frame! Thinking to put on a Manitou Tower Pro 80mm stripped from a Karate Monkey that will become my commuter.
    Pretty worried about those 20mm of missing travel...
    Any thought? suggestion?
    Thanks alot
    I don't know about the newest model, but previous El Mars were spec'd for 80mm or 100mm. In reality, 20mm is a little over 3/4 in, so its not a huge difference and impacts on riding geometry are not going to be noticed by the vast majority of riders (myself included)

I have an 80mm on my El Mar. No problems and never bottomed out.

Also, my Reba can be set to 80mm or 100mm. I am not familiar enough with the Manitou Tower Pro to know if that is also an option for this model though. I believe you can do it on the Expert.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast