Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ReXTless View Post
    I saw the frame in-person today. It's definitely bright orange. Looked great!
    I saw it today at my LBS. If I had the cash, I may just have bought it. It was that awesome looking!
    2013 Trek Marlin (Black)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ratherbeintobago View Post
    The el Mar SS looks really nice. Pity there's no pics of the geared frames. I wonder if the geometry has changed apart from the shorter chain stays?

Also, looks like the Cromoto Maxle has gone 15mm

Does it? Hope it looks better in person. I'd like to get the 2014 SS so I can convert my 2013 SS to XX1.

mtbr member
    Also, looks like the Cromoto Maxle has gone 15mm
    May I ask where you saw this? I'm having difficulty finding info on it...

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    May I ask where you saw this?
    It's in the PDF catalogue posted above, on the el Mar SS page:

Salsa CroMoto tapered fork with 15mm thru-axle
    druidh suggested the Salsa components preview should be available this week, now Eurobike is behind us.

mtbr member
    It's in the PDF catalogue posted above, on the el Mar SS page:

druidh suggested the Salsa components preview should be available this week, now Eurobike is behind us.
    Ahh, thank you. I missed that. I glanced at the fork and thought it looked like a normal QR nut then moved on.

I'm hoping I can get one of those in black... With a tapered steerer to boot...

ejj
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Rode the 2014 2 tonight. The orange is good. Bike is awesome. Want.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Anyone know what MSRP on the new 3 will be?

And for anyone who's ridden it- what's the ride like now with the shorter chainstays?

ejj
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    Did not ride the 3. They did not have one available. Rode the 2. I'm 6'2" and rode the large with the seat cranked. Loved it. Very snappy. The 2 is 2300. My guess for the 3 is 17-1800. Same frame with some cheaper goodies.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Anybody else had the chance to ride a new El Mar yet?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    UK importer only bringing in the frame & the singlespeed this year. Hmmm.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Anyone know what the design is on the down tube on the El Mar 2&3?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    just ordered an el mar SS, delivery march 2014, europe only gets a few

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Looking at the 2014 El Mar I see a number of component changes from 2013 and am wondering if folks have any experiences with the Shimano components - specifically the SLX brakes and the MT66 wheelset. 2013 El Mar 2’s are now down to $16XX mail ordered which is enticing. But I am intrigued with how these component changes in 2014 stack up. 2013 featured SRAM Elixir 5 brakes and Stan’s ZTR Rapid rims with Salsa 2 Formula hubs.

And the switch from SRAM to Shimano drivetrain? Opinions?

Personally, I love the “General Lee” orange…

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by wahday View Post
    Looking at the 2014 El Mar I see a number of component changes from 2013 and am wondering if folks have any experiences with the Shimano components - specifically the SLX brakes and the MT66 wheelset. 2013 El Mar 2’s are now down to $16XX mail ordered which is enticing. But I am intrigued with how these component changes in 2014 stack up. 2013 featured SRAM Elixir 5 brakes and Stan’s ZTR Rapid rims with Salsa 2 Formula hubs.

And the switch from SRAM to Shimano drivetrain? Opinions?

Personally, I love the “General Lee” orange…
    SLX brakes are awesome. I love Shimano brakes in general, and these feel as good as my XTs (I have both). Can't speak to the wheels.

ejj
    mtbr member
    May 2009
    2014 frame geometry is better. The SLX brakes are awesome. SLX drivetrain is very nice. Can't say much about the wheels. Seemed fine tome when I rode it. The Stan's rims are some lower level OEM only. I don't think either wheel set is remarkable, but for 2200 you aren't going to get remarkable wheels.

The 2014 also comes with a Thompson setback seat post, which is a nice thing for some people. The 2014 Fox forks are better as well.

Plus orange!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Thanks for the great feedback. I am thinking its worth going for the 2014 at this point, though current pricing for the 2013 El Mar 2 at Universal Cycles is a pretty nice deal…

This Shimano MT66 wheelset seems to be fairly new as I have not found much in the way of user reviews. The Rapids got ok reviews – basically Stan’s entry level tubeless XC rims – but not fantastic. But tubeless is what I want and I’ll take my chances. Even with the wheelsets being equivalent, the bump up on the fork and brakes (elixir 5’s seem to get mixed reviews and reveal a potential quality control issue) as well as the shorter chainstay make it very attractive. And though I try not to base m y decisions solely on aesthetics, that orange gets me going…

This would be both my long range (long day rides and bikepacking) and steep descent rider. My other bikes are a 26er Klein Attitude (which is my bikepacker and fast and flat ride) and Raleigh XXIX SS.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ejj View Post
    The SLX brakes are awesome. SLX drivetrain is very nice.
    This. SLX has a very good reputation at the moment. The UK importer isn't bringing in the complete bike, but I plan to have SLX on the frame build.

Fox forks currently 'enjoy' a not-great reputation over here for premature stanchion wear, ridiculously short service intervals and (on the 2013 forks at least) dubious damping tune.

The Next 100 Miler
    LBS has the new SS on the floor in a box. Build up and test ride tomorrow or Sunday. I plan to pull the trigger and add a squishy fork. Excited - first SS.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Ordering a El Mar 2014 General Lee Frame later...... should have it within about three days.
    Really looking forward to building it up....... Thinking 1*10 speed.
    Want to get the Firestarter fork, but's that's only available in jan or feb next year (here in Holland anyway).

Anyone know how quick the “turn around” build time is from geared to SS?
    Last edited by Force Wheelz; 11-22-2013 at 08:51 AM.
    Passionate about Wheelz!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    The 2013 El Mariachi 2 comes with Manitou Tower Expert fork: Shimano SLX drivetrain, Avid Elixir 1 brakes, Salsa Pro Moto 3 cockpit, Continental Trail King tires. If you had $500 to upgrade this bike, what components would you add/change?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyro_t View Post
    If you had $500 to upgrade this bike, what components would you add/change?
    Avid brakes. Powerful but howl like dying dogs and the back one needed bleeding about every two weeks, for no apparent reason (LBS reckoned this was common).

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyro_t View Post
    The 2013 El Mariachi 2 comes with Manitou Tower Expert fork: Shimano SLX drivetrain, Avid Elixir 1 brakes, Salsa Pro Moto 3 cockpit, Continental Trail King tires. If you had $500 to upgrade this bike, what components would you add/change?
    Isn't that the 3 with the Tower Expert, Elixir 1s, etc.? I think the 2 comes with a Reba and Elixir 5s.

I think I'd look at a set of Stans Arch EX wheels (or Crests if you're lighter). Will save you a good amount of weight. The Formula hubs are fairly decent, but quite a bit heavier than the ZTR hubs. My Spearfish came with a Formula hub/Arch wheelset that weighed over 2000g if I remember correctly. So even with the same rims, a set of Arches with ZTR hubs would have saved me over half a pound of rotating weight. Full Crests saved me a pound (which is what I went with). I don't know much about the Sun Inferno rims that come with the 3, but I'm guessing at the pricepoint they're probably not light (wheelset with most likely weigh over 2000g) and not tubeless ready.

Brakes would be my second choice. Check out Blue Sky for some SLX or XTs if that's what you decide. You would have some extra funds to upgrade miscellaneous parts if you went this route.

Overall, that's a really good spec for the price, esp. with the discounts on 2013s. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Thanks ratherbeintobago, and So Cal Rx for those suggestions. Sorry that had meant to say the El Mar 3 and not two, but I guess the suggestions still hold. i like the idea of the Stan's Arches EX wheelset. I am 195#so better not try the Crests. Well, that would take care of the $500 in upgrade in one fell swoop!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Got the frame in.The orange is amazing..... just in your face... and some!

Waiting for the parts to get in, then I'll build it up.
    Probably going to be:

Frame: El Mariachi 2014
    Fork: Now: Syncros FL but am going over to a Salsa Carbon FireStarter in January when it comes in.
    Drivetrain: 1*10 XT with Hope 34t ring and chain guide. KMC chain.
    BB and headset: Hope
    Bars, pens, saddle and skewers: Syncros
    Brakes: Hope Tech 3 (probably E4 or X2 (or mix) can't decide... any ideas?)
    Wheels: I'm gonna build a Ryde Trace Trail rim on to VIA MTB hubs to test them out. Will probably build a set of Hope's on E*Thirteen TRS+ rims in the spring. (my favourite rim ;-))
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2014 Salsa El Mariachi-photo-1.jpg  

2014 Salsa El Mariachi-photo-2.jpg  

2014 Salsa El Mariachi-photo-3.jpg  

Passionate about Wheelz!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Force Wheelz View Post
    Anyone know how quick the “turn around” build time is from geared to SS?

Took me less than an hr, for 1x10 geared to SS. That would include switching rear tire to SS wheel, and sliding the grip to remove rt. shifter. My chainrings slide through the driveside crank arm.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast