mtbr member
    Dec 2014

2014 Salsa El Mariachi 3

Hi Guys, new to all this. I recently received a Salsa El Mariachi 3 17in(M). I'm wondering if I have the right size. I'm 5ft 8in with 30 inch inseam. I barely touch the top tube. I ll be using it to commute to work and doing some intermediate single track. LBS says because I'm long waisted, I'll have the same situation with a lot of 29ers; even if I go small on the El Mariachi-not much difference. It seems to fit really good when I lean over and ride; just concerned with top tube clearance. Thinking of trying something new; like selling it and getting a Surly Krampus. Any thoughts are welcomed. Thank you.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jomi View Post
    It seems to fit really good when I lean over and ride.
    You probably answered your own question there. Bikes are made to fit an average rider and I would say that stand over, unless completely unmanageable is not a consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by jomi View Post
    Thinking of trying something new; like selling it and getting a Surly Krampus.
    This bike is made to run a 3" tyre and falls between the El Mar and a fat bike. The advantage may be that you could have more than one wheelset, the largest having a 3" tyre. With the El Mar, the largest would be about 2.3".

It seems a shame to sell a bike you just bought, particularly one with a good reputation and if you wanted a bike with a 3" tyre in the first place, I assume you'd have bought it, unless you just saw the Krampus?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I'm the same size as you and ride a 17" mariachi as well. I think it fits great. I've gotten used to not having a ton of room over the top tube-I haven't had any "accidents" yet.

stb
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I have the same "long-wasted" issue (6'/31" inseam). I had searched for a 29" steel hardtail frame that fit me for quite a while. I finally settled on a size large El Mariachi (2015) because it had sufficient stand-over clearance (when wearing my typical riding gear), and it fit me perfectly in all other respects. Coming off of a 26" Santa Cruz, I was worried about losing 2" of stand-over clearance, but after riding the Salsa for three months, and having several bailouts without incident, I'm glad that I bought the larger size.