mtbr member
    May 2009

2014 Horsetheif Shock compatibility

I'm thinking of replacing my stock Fox float on my Horsetheif 1.

It looks like the 2015 version comes with a RS Monarch. Does this come with the Debonair can? Will the Debonair can fit in the frame?

Does anyone have any experiences with changing the shock, or with the Cane Creek DB Inline?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I have ordered a DB Inline and hope to have it on the bike in a week or so. Hopeful that it is as good as advertised.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Curious as to why you are looking at a new shock. I find the climb mode in the HT 1 way too soft, but the trail/descend work great. Also looking into new shock.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I ordered the DB Inline as well, should be in next week. My LBS said that there were some fit issues on anything but the XL Horsetheif frames (what I have). Something to do with the mounting hardware, not the shock itself. Not really sure about any details

Why was I looking for a new shock? The Fox Float stopped working after 6 months, the same experience I had with another bike and the same shock. It seemed that the DB inline looks like the best shock available for more aggressive riding. I think I am going to enjoy tweaking the tune to perfection.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    So how are those DB inlines performing on your horsethieves?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I've got probably 70 miles on the shock so far . . . .

Its awesome. It feels like a completely different bike, in a good way. I've made a few adjustments off the standard base tune and its great. It feels much more linear than the stock shock and feels like it has way more travel.

It could still use some more adjustments, but I haven't dedicated the time to nerding out on the settings, but I can only imagine that it will make it that much better. The climbing traction is amazing, and the climb switch feels way better when riding on pavement or dirt roads.

If you are looking for a huge performance upgrade, this is it. Salsa could have a beefy spec version of this bike. Something with beefy wheels, tires and suspension, wider bars shorter stem for more aggressive riding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    First ride last night with the Cane Creek DB Inline installed (2014 Horsethief). With no detailed set up info available I started at the base line settings and tweaked it a bit. Will need a lot more time to get it dialed in but the initial feeling is very positive. The CS (climbing switch) works really well but dialing in a little firmer pedaling platform is needed while the switch is open. The performance in a few higher speed and/or rougher sections was noticeably better already. Looking forward to having the shock fully dialed in.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Any fitting issues? Is the Cane Creek DB Inline mounted with the sleeve pointing downwards/rearwards (opposite to how that Fox shock is mounted) ?

Got a photo of what it looks like?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    2014 Horsetheif Shock compatibility-img-20150121-00572.jpg2014 Horsetheif Shock compatibility-img-20150121-00574.jpg