mtbr member
    Jan 2011

2014 Horsetheif 1

Hopefully someone from Salsa can address this. I have heard from a Salsa dealer that 2014 Horsethief 1's are effectively soldout. Is this true?

mtbr member
    That is what my rep told me in September. unfortunate but true.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Seems like this happens every year.

mtbr member
    I know, one of the bad things about this company in particular. I had to really push to get the HT1 last winter.......

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    man, I'm waiting to try one of these bikes. I'm so confident that I'll like the bike that I plan to bring my wallet (full). The local shop told me October, then November, now its "try again mid December". Well, at least they have one or two on order - I'm hoping they'll call me and give me first dibs cause I keep asking and harassing them...

mtbr member
    Stay on top of them, have them bother their Salsa Rep if necessary.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Anyone have an idea on the ETA for this bike in country (USA)? Need to know when to start pestering dealers for a large.

mtbr member
    No dates listed on the dealer site. Start pestering now. Seriously.

Mikey

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    from Salsa customer service from Friday 12/6:

"We are expecting to begin shipping these bikes to dealers within the next 6 weeks or so. It is difficult to give a definitive answer because of when the dealer placed their order. If you can have the two shops you talked with work with their Account Manager at QBP they will be able to give them a better idea of arrival date."

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Had a talk with Salsa Rep yesterday and ordered a Horsethief 1 and he thought I should have it by mid to late Jan. '14. Not going to hold my breath but encouraging to hear.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Word is that Salsa will begin shipping 2014 Horsethief and Spearfish in 2 weeks.

mtbr member
    A LBS in Austin, Tx has one medium Horse Thief 1, in stock on the sales floor. Sales staff said they have started to see the new 2014 bikes trickle in last week.
    I don't always listen to slayer, but when I do so do the neighbors.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    According to my LBS my Horsetheif 1 will be delivered tomorrow. I'll believe it when I see it. FYI, I'll have Wheelset, brakes and Fork for sale in the Classified section soon.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Horsethief 1 arrived yesterday, Large 20" complete as delivered- 26.90lbs. Lighter wheelset and other goodies I am hoping for 26.50lbs with pedals. If interested check the Classifieds- Brand New Take Off- Wheelset/tires and Fox Fork available.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I have been able to ride my new 2014 Horsethief 1. In short, I am very impressed. The new rear suspension seems to live up to the hype. This is my first "longer" travel bike so I was concerned how efficiently the bike would pedal. I am happy to say the rear suspension was very active over smaller obstacles, felt bottomless thru the faster/larger rock sections with no pedal induced motion at all. I had made some changes to the stock build before the first ride, replacing the wheelset, brakes and crankset. While I was impressed with the smoothness and damping adjustments of the Fox Fork. I am looking forward to putting the Rock Shox Pike on it for the added stiffness and control it reportedly offers.

I can not wait to get the fit dialed and get to some really fast and technical trails.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I test rode the 2014 Horsethief II yesterday at my LBS in the city. Mostly crusty, lumpy old snow covered sidewalks and up/down concrete stairs but regardless I was able to get a feel for the bike. It could practically climb 5' of stairs starting from a standstill at the bottom, then descending was very stable and easy to get behind the seat, the bike did this very well and I never felt like I was going to take a header like other bikes I've recently tested. It was easy to get comfortable on the bike. It bunny hopped very well for a fully. Weaving around the streets, the front seems a little slow (expected, this isn't a twitchy CC rig). Standing up and sprinting I did not notice suspension bob, the acceleration wasn't exactly rocket like with the HS II probably due to its extra weight, so I would have loved to see what the lighter builds felt like. Also the 32mm stanchioned fork with the thru axle with tapered steerer felt sufficiently rigid for the testing I did. Amazing bike for the $3300.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Dambala View Post
    I have been able to ride my new 2014 Horsethief 1. In short, I am very impressed. The new rear suspension seems to live up to the hype. This is my first "longer" travel bike so I was concerned how efficiently the bike would pedal. I am happy to say the rear suspension was very active over smaller obstacles, felt bottomless thru the faster/larger rock sections with no pedal induced motion at all. I had made some changes to the stock build before the first ride, replacing the wheelset, brakes and crankset. While I was impressed with the smoothness and damping adjustments of the Fox Fork. I am looking forward to putting the Rock Shox Pike on it for the added stiffness and control it reportedly offers.

I can not wait to get the fit dialed and get to some really fast and technical trails.
    What size did you get and how tall are you? I hear they run kinda big.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Hi all , do these 2014 HT have Internal routing for a stealth dropper post ??

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Yes, internal routing for dropper post.