mtbr member
    Oct 2013

2014 Fargo Frames

Hey there,

I'm looking to build a winter/rain bike for recreational use this winter (I'll ride when the roads are wet or it's lightly raining or snowing, but I won't do heavy rain or snow, roads must be clear, and I usually only ride in temperatures down to about 10F so the roads don't freeze up). Last year I rode my LHT all winter but this year I'd like to get something with disc brakes as the rim brakes left a lot to be desired. Also due to fit issues I'd prefer something with a sloping downtube this time around.

My number one choice right now is a Salsa Fargo, I think. I'm looking at either the Blue Titanium frame or the Yellow steel frame. Problem is I have no idea what either cost. Anyone know the prices of these frames? I'm a heavy rider (weight-wise) so I need to get custom wheels and I have a specific gearing in mind so I won't be ordering the full kits.

Also, I'm still not 100% sold on the Fargo; I'm also considering a 2014 Specialized AWOL as an alternative. I know it's not out yet, but does anyone know how the geometry of that differs from the Fargo? I see them classed together a lot so I figure they're similar, but I'd like an educated opinion about what exactly will set them apart, and whether the Fargo would be a better choice.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2010

2014 Fargo Frames

I'm torn between a complete Fargo ti or just a frame. I have a gen 1 Fargo and could use most of the parts and build up something cool and different or just go with the stock build... Oh the choices.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Harmonius Wrench
    The "frame only" option is either titanium or the Bomb \Pop Blue steel one. The yellow is the Fargo 3 and is not available as a frame only option.

mtbr member
    May 2010

2014 Fargo Frames

Is the ti frame-only the half-paint version?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Yes. Ti frames are now the awful half painted scheme.

CO 2013
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rallyrcr View Post
    Is the ti frame-only the half-paint version?
    Yes, for whatever reason, Salsa is insisting on that half-painted/half metal design for all of their Ti bikes this year. I'm hoping they come to their senses before the 2015 models come out...

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Should have kept it all natural Ti , and used paint only in the logo and that would be cool in stencil.

Rider down under
    Quote Originally Posted by Special eyes View Post
    Should have kept it all natural Ti , and used paint only in the logo and that would be cool in stencil.
    I'm also not keen on any of these half painted frames this year in any model.
    I wonder what they would look like with a few stone chips in the downtube? my bet is really awful!

Salsa frames have always looked so much better in the flesh than on their websites. That's the only consolation I can think of.

There is no shop in my area that has them on the floor to look at so id have to give a 50% deposit to get it in. Its not a gamble I'm willing to take unfortunately.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    The half-painted frames do look really nice in person. My local shop received one of the Ti Mukluks and the paint and finish on it were very nice. It felt like the ti portions of the frame have been clear coated. I was initially disappointed with the paint as well, but it's starting to grow on me a bit.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Are the Frame only with steel fork? Or will we have to buy the fork separate?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Frame only is really just the Frame. Titanium or the Blue steel frame-- yellow from the Fargo 3 is only available with a complete bike. You will be able to buy the carbon fork separately at some point (not up on the website), and I'd guess you'd also be able to buy the longer 100mm susp-corrected steel fork as well (also not up on the web).

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks Clint, I planning to build a Fargo SS but it looks like it's going to take some time to get the frame and steel fork. I will pay my local dealer a visit and see what they can do. I really wanted the yellow frame and fork.