Thread: 2013 spearfish

mtbr member

2013 spearfish

How many are out there? I ride in south Florida dont need a lot of travel but some would be nice.... Any uglies with this bike I should know about? I found a great deal on a local close out. Are the deals only so great because of redesign or other issues?
    2009 ASPECT 20
    2011 Rockhopper 29er

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Well It could be both redesign or other issues or the other issues might have had something to do with the newer frame design, it had to be something but the redesign is for the better. they are cheaper because they want to move them out for the 2014s the 2013 are going at a very good price and I feel that it hurts people that would want to sell their used Salsa the resale is just such a loss anyways but my god when they (Salsa) allow the shops to sell that cheap it hurts our resale. I have talked to a few guys that got to ride the new SF 1 and one of them has a 2012 Spearfish 1 and I also have one I was going to sell it just to get the new one but changed my mind I'm going to keep it for a bit longer I just got a Mukluk 2 (ordered).

It's no secret that there have been a few of the Spearfish bikes with the 9mm rear drop outs cracking and that is all I know about it, I just heard it here and on the Spearfish Facebook Page.

So if I was looking for or thinking about one of the 2013s I would jump on any of them that have the 12x142 rear axle and not look back however if spending more money isn't a big problem than the 2014 Spearfish 1 is most likely going to be the number 1 FS mtb 29er out there. The 2014 SF and HT bikes are going to make all the 27.5 wheel bikes a waste of money for XC riding IMO of course

mtbr member
    My view after owning a 12 and having it warranty replaced with a 13 is I would get a 14. If you can get one with a 12x42 rear you'r probably safe. But the other frames have problems with rear end flex and a stiff set of wheels only makes that problem worse.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I have a 2012 Spearfish 2 that I purchase in January of 2013 and got a great deal on it. I have been very happy with the bike and have not a single issue.

If you can afford the extra $800ish for a 2014, certainly get a 2014 Spearfish because of the split-pivot rear. If not, a 2013 will serve you exceptionally well. You may even be able to get a Spearfish 1 for the MSRP of a Spearfish 2 which would be a steal.

mtbr member
    I got a SF 2 back in September at a great close-out deal. I am a clydesdalian type rider, but have not noticed any problems with it being too flexy. The only problems I have had are the WTB seat trying to eat a hole in my rear end and having to replace the derailleur hanger after what I thought was a pretty minor crash-type event. I have done a 60 mile race and a 30 mile race on it and another dozen or so fairly long rides and am loving it so far.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Mike I always had 130 to 135mm seats on my bike because that is what they came with and it was ok but then after 8 years off riding it started kicking my ass "really! bad!" and I went in and got my butt measured last year and found that I needed a 143mm to a 145mm saddle.

mtbr member
    It ain't the width that's killing me. It's the fact that the thing is hard as a rock.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Yeah that WTB seat is like riding a brick. Hate it. Actually moved my Vaya saddle over after putting a Brooks on the Vaya.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I upgraded my seat when I bought it to a WTB Pure V and it has been great. Not the lightest saddle, but enough padding for me to actually enjoy riding.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I've got 2 SDG Bel Air Ti seats and I just put them on my current bikes. I replaced one about 18 months back but they're pretty durable. If you want a cheaper seat, the cromo version is fine and here in the U.K. the charge spoon works well.