mtbr member
    Jul 2009

2013 Spearfish 1 Price Explanation

I know I need to ride all the bikes as fit and feel are personal and important, but I am looking for help on explaining the difference in price given the specs of the following bikes (links to specs included).

2013 Salsa Spearfish 1 - Retails for $3,950 and on sale at my LBS for $2,800.
    2014 Giant Anthem X 29er 1 - $2,875 retail.
    2014 Trek Superfly FS 8 - $2,840 retail.

I planned on waiting until Fall 2014 to buy a new bike, which is why I was looking at the 2014 models for Giant and Trek, but this 2013 Salsa deal seems pretty good. However, looking at the components I don't fully understand where the $1,100 difference in retail prices comes from between the Salsa and the Giant or Trek. I hear mostly bad reviews about Elixir brakes.... So just wondering what your expert opinions are. Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Full disclosure: I have a 2012 Spearfish 2 and I love it. So take that into account.

Although tough to justify the $1,100 difference in MSRP, remember that all technologies get cheaper every year, so 2014 models have some trickle-down tech for a better price. Either way, the Spearfish 1 has a few nice upgrades over the Giant and Trek:

- carbon handle bar (keeps down the weight)
    - thru-axle in the rear (keeps things tighter and less prone to loosening up)
    - DT Swiss hubs (very nice hubs)
    - better wheel set
    - X0 rear derailleur is slightly more high-end than Deore XT
    - slightly better brakes in my opinion (with carbon parts). There is always debate on Shimano vs. Avid - I personally have the Elixir 5 brakes and have been very happy with them and have not had major issues like others.

Just so you know, the 2014 Salsa's have been announced and feature a split pivot rear triangle design that is supposed to make a big difference for breaking and climbing. I haven't yet had the chance to try one out to compare to my 2012. Unfortunately, all of the price points went up by $200 to $300 as well.

That is a very good price on the Spearfish 1 - just a couple hundred more than what I paid for my Spearfish 2.

As with everything, ride all three bikes and choose the one that feels the most comfortable and natural. All three bikes are good bikes and will treat you well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thank you very much for your reply, onpaperwings. Yeah, I started looking at the 2014 Salsa Spearfish 1 and besides liking the new color better, I'm trying to decide whether the new frame design is worth waiting for as I would wait until fall 2014 for another bargain if I don't buy now. I have read nothing but good things about the earlier Spearfish models though... Anyways, thanks again.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Happy to help. You caught me in the afternoon of a rainy day, so I can only think about biking instead of actually biking.

From the people I know that have ridden the new 2014 Split Pivots, they say it is a noticeable improvement. Also, check out this guy's review: 2014 Salsa Spearfish Review | riding against the grain He has a great blog and rides a lot of Salsa bikes.

Most LBS will do a discount around this time of year (Sept-Dec) to clear out for the new model year. I'm guessing that the Split-Pivot bikes will be on a smaller discount since the technology is still new.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    So the bike shop doesn't have the large Spearfish 1 anymore but it has a large Spearfish 2 it is offering me for $1,950 cash out the door including tax ($2,999 MSRP). The one hang up I have is this bike shop does not offer any extended, free service/tune ups after 30 days. I live in Michigan and this lifetime service with the purchase of a new bike is very common - the other 3 bike shops near me offer this but don't sell Salsa. How common is this elsewhere?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    That's a shame. The Spearfish 2 is a great deal at $1,950 cash including tax. I believe I paid around $2,100 or $2,200 for mine last year.

Sorry to hear that the bike shop won't include tune ups with the purchase. I specifically chose my LBS based on their free lifetime tune-ups for the life of the bike.

I would talk with the manager of the store and explain that you are hung-up on the lack of service/tune-up policy and see what can be done.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I just wanted to let you know I ended up getting at as there was only a slight misunderstanding in that the bike shop will do minor adjustments. They real misunderstanding is they thought I meant servicing the fork and shock was included. Besides, I should start learning how to do some of this stuff anyways since I'll have more free time on my hands (I bought the bike because I'll be done with my MBA soon so I'll have time to ride!)

mtbr member
    May 2013
    CardsHockey,

Congrats on the MBA and on the purchase of the Spearfish! I'm sure you will love it.

Glad you got things sorted with the bike shop. I would guess that all bike shops will do small tune-ups, but definitely servicing a shock or rebuilding a shock would incur costs.

Have fun and make sure to post up some photos.