mtbr member

2013 Horsethief 1 vs. 2?

Looking into buying my first FS 29er, ant the 13 HT looks to be a great value. I realize its the old model but I'm okay with that.

I was pretty much set on the HT2, but due to recent price drops on both I'm considering the 1 as well. I can pick up the 2 for 1799, and the 1 for 2399.

2 has X7/X9 with White Loop fork.

1 had X9/X0 with Fox float 34, with kashima coat f&r, along with a reverb post.

I'd buy a reverb anyway, so subtracting 250 for that, is the 1 worth the 350 over the 2?

I actually like the color on the 2 better, blue is my favorite car. The black & gold 1 looks a bit pimped out.

Thanks for any info!
    '13 Salsa Horsethief 2
    '12 Trek 6000
    '11 Ridley X-Ride

mtbr member
    I am on the 2013 HT 1 and absolutely love it. It rocks anything you can throw at it! I am a Salsa dealer and usually change bikes yearly, but I am running this bike again for another year. the Fox 34 is a HUGE step up in performance over a 32. Any other questions, just ask.
    That is a great price for a bike that in person is a lot less pimpy. (I actually added a gold handlebar to compliment the rest of the bike.)

Mikey

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info! What kind of terrain do you ride? Here is mostly tight single track with lots of rocks and roots. Not too many long climbs or descents.

How's the rest of the spec on the bike? Are the Stans Flows/ DT Swiss 350 hubs a good wheel set that won't need an upgrade? And are the X9 shifters much better than the X7?

And what's the big advantage of the 34 Fox?

Sorry for the noobish questions but I havent purchased a MTB in a long time and this is both my first 29 and first FS bike. I'm also trying to justify to myself going over my 2k budget.

And got any pics with the gold bars? That sounds pretty cool. I was thinking I could put some Bruins decals on it to go with the black & gold, lol.
    '13 Salsa Horsethief 2
    '12 Trek 6000
    '11 Ridley X-Ride

mtbr member
    Sorry i took so long to return a reply. My terrain varies from flowy high desert singletrack to high alpine back country fun. Occasionally a trip to Moab-Sedona-Phoenix chunkiness. It does best in the desert. I am building some "Idaho" wheels to make it a bit lighter for climbing without losing any of the downhill goodness that it offers.
    My wheels have seen 1000+ miles of serious terrain and every time I put them on the truing stand, they haven't budged. Truly impressive wheelset. My next pair will be the same builders at QBP-the Handspun guys.
    Spec was good, I am a Shimano guy so I changed everything over, but have no issues with the similar Sram group on my Beargrease.
    The Fox 34 has a huge flex free advantage. Where you point it, it goes. I tried a friends bike out and loved it, but the front end wandered all over with a 32. After going to the larger diameter tubes, I can't go back, weight penalty or not.
    Sorry for the FB link, I don't do online photo uploads.

Mikey

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info Mike. The bike sounds great, I think its the way to go. incidentally, the price has dropped 100 bucks on both since I originally posted.

Im a Shimano guy too. I really like the shifters with the push/pull. Maybe I'm just used to them, but shimano seems more intuitive to use. I rode a X5 bike a few weeks ago and had to ask the bike store guy how to shift. The Deore shifters on my trek work both ways, its nice to have a choice.

I'll.have to learn to like the SRAM as I won't have the coin to switch over. The bike would be perfect if it were XTor even SLX.

That's one reason I really like the Scott Genius and Spark I rode...full SLX/XT groups.

How are the avid brakes? Should I start looking for deals on XT brakes?

Anyway thanks again. Bike seems like a good value too, at that price its like getting the frame for free it seems.

Great pics, BTW. Looks like a beautiful place to ride, I love the desert. Much different than trails in New England!
    '13 Salsa Horsethief 2
    '12 Trek 6000
    '11 Ridley X-Ride

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by StuntmanMike View Post
    Thanks for the info Mike. The bike sounds great, I think its the way to go. incidentally, the price has dropped 100 bucks on both since I originally posted.

Im a Shimano guy too. I really like the shifters with the push/pull. Maybe I'm just used to them, but shimano seems more intuitive to use. I rode a X5 bike a few weeks ago and had to ask the bike store guy how to shift. The Deore shifters on my trek work both ways, its nice to have a choice.

I'll.have to learn to like the SRAM as I won't have the coin to switch over. The bike would be perfect if it were XTor even SLX.

That's one reason I really like the Scott Genius and Spark I rode...full SLX/XT groups.

How are the avid brakes? Should I start looking for deals on XT brakes?

Anyway thanks again. Bike seems like a good value too, at that price its like getting the frame for free it seems.

Great pics, BTW. Looks like a beautiful place to ride, I love the desert. Much different than trails in New England!
    Jump on that bike. That is an awesome price for it. As far as the SRAM shifting goes, it's good, just not quite as light or versatile as Shimano, but just fine. Brakes are a personal choice, I prefer the Shimano's over anything else, but just bought XO Trail brakes for my fat bike, so pay no attention to me!
    I love the mountain backcountry, but the desert is more my style and this is the bike for everything.
    If you get it, let me know what you think.

Mikey

mtbr member
    Cool, thanks for the info. I think I'm gonna pull the trigger soon. I'll see howcthexSram stuff goes, if I don't like it I'll upgrade as funds allow or try to trade for XT stuff. I like the SRAM stuff on my CX bike so maybe I should give the MTB stuff the benefit of the doubt. The color scheme has won me over too after looking at more pics. Knda reminds me of a Bandit Trans Am, which is awesome.
    '13 Salsa Horsethief 2
    '12 Trek 6000
    '11 Ridley X-Ride

mtbr member

Mikey