Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 2013 eta?

Falls-a-Lot

2013 eta?

The hubby recently placed an order on an El Mariachi 3 for me...as a semi-surprise (yeah, he's pretty awesome! ). Not sure when Salsa starts shipping, but our order went in along with our LBS's demo fleet. Any idea when the new model year might start being delivered to shops?
    '11 Cannondale SuperSix 4 Rival
    '11 Redline Conquest Apex
    '13 Salsa El Mariachi 3
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Falls-a-Lot
    Dangit...got word today from our LBS friend that it likely won't be until Oct./Nov. Rats! I was just thinking about maybe buying a friend's entry for the Iceman Cometh race, since she had knee surgery a while back and isn't planning to race, this year. I don't really want to do it on my current bike, since it's a size too small and I start feeling it in my back after a while. This also means I won't likely get to ride the new bike on the closest trails before they close to mountain bikers and hikers at the end of Oct. for hunters to use.
    '13 Salsa El Mariachi 3
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3

They call me Shoogs
    I'm anxiously awaiting the TiElMar

Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

Falls-a-Lot
    Quote Originally Posted by TripleThreat View Post
    It's going to be worth the wait!
    '13 Salsa El Mariachi 3
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TripleThreat View Post
    Snap!

I recall reading somewhere that all dates/prices/specs would be made public at Eurobike - which starts tomorrow!
    Last edited by druidh; 08-28-2012 at 01:30 PM.

Harmonius Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by druidh View Post
    Snap!

I recall reading somewhere that all dates/prices/specs would be made public at Eurobike - which starts tomorrow!

The website is getting updated tomorrow morning as well to reflect all the new product.

Falls-a-Lot
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted View Post
    The website is getting updated tomorrow morning as well to reflect all the new product.
    Now I can REALLY start obsessing and counting down the days!
    '13 Salsa El Mariachi 3
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3

WNC Native
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted View Post
    Sweet!
    "I ride to clear my head, my head is clearer when I'm riding SS. Therefore, I choose to ride SS."~ Fullrange Drew

mtbr member
    15:35 GMT and the site is down for "planned maintenance".....

mtbr member
    ...and we're back!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Considering ordering a 2013 el mar steel frame. Anyone know if the red will be available, or just the green shown on the site?

mtbr member
    Given they've just updated the site, I'd presume it was accurate, so black/green only, unless you buy a complete El Mar 3.

They call me Shoogs
    Hummuhnuh, Hummuhnuh! I haven't seen any dates announced, just yet.

Quick look shows they've increased tire clearance, added alternators, direct mount FD... I'm sure there's more. No weights and a couple of measurements missing...

Pls o pls don't make us weight too long.

Falls-a-Lot
    For a brief moment yesterday I considered going for the 2012 El Mar, since there are still some in stock at Salsa and I could probably have it in a week...but after riding around a bit on a friend's 29er with the exact same Shimano shifters I think I will be happier on the 2013 than the SRAM equipped 2012. I've tried twist shifters and I don't mind them, but I think I prefer triggers. My only issue was the amount of thumb throw and pressure required to shift to a bigger ring on front with the SRAM triggers. It's a much lighter/easier touch on Shimano.

And the 2013 is just a better looking color scheme, which is not a real deciding factor, but kind of a bonus if I wait for the new models to ship.
    '13 Salsa El Mariachi 3
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I've got an XT 10-speed drivechain on mine and I highly reccommend it. Had you thought of getting the 2012 having XT mechs and shifters fitted, and selling the SRAM bits on ebay? There'd be a financial cost but you'd get your perfect bike right away.
    Timmy

Falls-a-Lot
    That's an interesting option...or maybe even seeing what it would cost to buy the 2012 frame (either in green or that snazzy blue--I think the frame-only option was the bomb pop blue) and have it built-up to spec. I'm guessing that would cost more than the 2013, though.
    '13 Salsa El Mariachi 3
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Bomb-pop blue was 2011. The 2012 blue is a lot more subdued. I didn't like it at first, but my LBS has one and it has grown on me. That said, I really want a red El Mar frame and matching rigid fork. Don't know if that's a possibility yet, though.

Falls-a-Lot
    Ahhh...subdued, that's not really me. My road bike is white with blaze orange...cables are royal blue and handlebar tape is royal blue metallic. CX bike is white with metallic royal blue and the bar tape is lime green. I have a friend who is the polar opposite of me...all of her bikes are black or plain Ti. She generally rides in all black and I show up in some random clashing mix of day-glo stuff to make a person's eyes bleed.

I figure no motorist can ever hit me and use that "I didn't see her" crap excuse.
    '13 Salsa El Mariachi 3
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3

gimme friction
    Spoke to the Salsa dealer in SF yesterday. Word is 'October' for the 2013 bikes.

I personally have designs on a Spearfish 2.
    Johnny Ryall rode MTB

Falls-a-Lot
    I like Oct...definitely better than Nov. The first half of Sept. is likely going to be too busy for me to get out much on the trails, anyhow...and Cyclocross will keep me busy until I get my El Mar. My mounts/dismounts still need a crap-ton of work.
    '13 Salsa El Mariachi 3
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I manage a Salsa dealer in Australia and we're expecting late-October, so you guys ought to be a little earlier than that right..?

And what's all this 'get XT and sell your SRAM on eBay' business... We buy parts back into stock all the time and get people rolling on the things they really want... Does it not really work like that in the States?

They call me Shoogs
    Quote Originally Posted by Macbeth View Post
    I manage a Salsa dealer in Australia and we're expecting late-October, so you guys ought to be a little earlier than that right..?

And what's all this 'get XT and sell your SRAM on eBay' business... We buy parts back into stock all the time and get people rolling on the things they really want... Does it not really work like that in the States?
    Works that way at my LBS, for sure.

Hey macbeth, same eta on the Ti ElMar?

Falls-a-Lot
    Quote Originally Posted by Macbeth View Post
    Maybe some bike shops are cooler than others. Our LBS stripped the low-end Shimano off off of my Redline CX bike and swapped with SRAM Apex before I took delivery. They didn't even charge us for the work, but mostly because we're friends with our LBS owner and that's the sort of favors he and his mechanics do for friends. We buy them beer and buy all of our bikes their exclusively in exchange for stuff like that!
    '13 Salsa El Mariachi 3
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3

mtbr member
    Great news!!! I just heard from my dealer that my 2013 Muk 2 will be here in 2 weeks

Falls-a-Lot
    Whoa, a huge butterfly just did a backflip in my tummy! Maybe my bike will be along in 2 weeks or so, too! So exciting!!!
    '13 Salsa El Mariachi 3
    '12 Salsa Mukluk 3

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast