mtbr member
    Oct 2011

2012 Spearfish Rear Shock Install?

Does a diagram exist for where the rear swingarm, bottom shock bushing, and shock travel guide wishbone (I don't know what that part would be called...) all meet? I took my shock off last week and now am having trouble remembering the placement of all parts. It seemed straightforward enough I didn't take a picture, but now when I put it back together and torque one side, (with the other not bolted at all) there's no freedom for it to swing freely as I would expect.

Where does the shock swing? Inside the bushings?

Here's a diagram because I'm explaining this poorly. This is how I have the "bottom" bushing bolted on. Does this look right?

Last edited by brdpkns; 02-04-2014 at 09:28 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Your diagram looks right, but double check the attached. The bushing in the shock is a tight fit and doesn't move without some friction until it is well worn in.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012 Spearfish Rear Shock Install?-img_20140203_212635.jpg  

2012 Spearfish Rear Shock Install?-img_20140203_212652.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by car_nut View Post
    Your diagram looks right, but double check the attached. The bushing in the shock is a tight fit and doesn't move without some friction until it is well worn in.
    Exactly what I needed. I just didn't know that the actual pivot happens in the bushing. Thank you!

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Hi, new to this forum. I just picked up a new to me Spearfish which I've loved on the three rides out so far. But a mate who wees on my chips on everything picked it up and says i've not got a bargain because the bearings are shot!!

Anyway; I had it apart last night to track down the play which he in fairness found. None of the suspension pivots are knocking, all are tight and turning properly. Eventually, I found a bit of play on the shock mount instead. The front (shock body end - it's a Monarch btw) is fine if I unbolt the rear fixing and try and play the shock. Do the opposite, and unbolt the front and twiddle against the rear / shaft end pivot, and there's noticeable play.

So now I've had the rear mount apart and it's all correctly installed as per the diagrams above, so it isn't that. The 'top hat' type bushings are still a good tight fit in the shock eye, so it isn't that. Finally by elimination, it's actually the pivot bolt inside the top hat bushings, which when demounted you can feel obvious ly that there is a difference in the ID of the bushings to the OD of the pivot bolt.

But, and here's the question (well done for sticking this far). There's no obvious wear on the shaft bolt, and the play is the same right along the shaft, so it's not wear there. It could be wear to the top hat bushing. Or it could be for some reason that this isn't supposed to be a tight fit, in which case is this slight play normal?

Anyone know? If you unbolt the front of your shock leaving the rear in place is there any play in yours? Failing all that and if the bushing is worn, is that dimension above (22.2 x 8) correct?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    When you bolt the entire assembly together, the slop in the fastener diameter won't matter. At that point, what's rotating is the black shaft that is pressed into the shock eyelet. If you look at the last picture in my post above, you can see the black spacers on either side of the shock. If you remove them, you'll have a black shaft left in the shock eyelet. If you remove that, you'll see an orange/red plastic bushing that it spins in. This is what usually wears out. Its cheap but you'll need a $20 tool to remove/replace it. Or you can just take the shock to a local shop and have them do it.
    These are the bushings:Universal Cycles -- Rock Shox Rear Shock Eyelet Bushing

mtbr member
    Has anyone tried these needle bearing replacements for the shock bushings? RWC does not list any Salsa bikes in the compatibility chart but with some effort it should be able to be figured out.

RWC SHOCK EYE NEEDLE BEARING KITS

2012 Spearfish Rear Shock Install?-dgc_monarch2_700.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Thanks, I think you got it.