mtbr member
    Dec 2007

2012 HorseThief out of the Box Review

My new 2012 Salsa HorseThief that i ordered on closeout from Universal Cycles arrived yesterday so I will give an "Out of the Box" review..

1st - it did come just 1 full week after ordering from Portland to Tampa, Fl so not bad.

2nd - it came very well packed with the frame and most components in one large box and the wheels in 2 smaller separate boxes.

3rd - it did NOT come with s warranty card or even a Salsa bicycle manual, but did come with the Fox book and a general bike maintenance book. No Salsa stickers like that came with my El Mar frame when i ordered it..

4th - I ordered a Large frame and at 20" it is pretty big... after putting it together it really does look kinda monster truckish.. The Conti 2.4 Mountain Kings look HUGE!

5th - I was kinda of disappointed on the bottle cage placement on the frame.. only one and is located on the bottom of the downtube. funny because there was room for one inside the triangle... the gear and brake cables actually interfere with the bottle cage so I had to move them around to install one. looks like it will get very very dirty and not reachable during riding...

6th - overall the bike looks great and was fairly easy to set-up out of the box for someone with a decent amount of bike set-up knowledge... such a great deal for what this bike has on it...

cant wait to ride it soon and see how it performs....

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    How tall are you? I decided to pull the trigger on a HT as well, too great of a price not to!
    I'm just shy of 6'4" 35/36" sleeve, 34" inseam. Debating a L or XL. The only dealer near me has only S,M so nothing to compare.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kingspa09 View Post
    How tall are you? I decided to pull the trigger on a HT as well, too great of a price not to!
    I'm just shy of 6'4" 35/36" sleeve, 34" inseam. Debating a L or XL. The only dealer near me has only S,M so nothing to compare.
    Thanks
    I am right at 6' tall and this will fit me good as I like my frames big.. the large is 20" and they seem to run large....

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Silly to not have a bottle mount with that much room inside the triangle.
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Mine is supposed to be here tomorrow. I was planning on doing some sort of a bolt/band on bottle mount inside the triangle, I figure there is enough room on an XL for that.

mtbr member
    I've had my horsethief for a year and have tried everything for water bottles. I tried a strap on (TWSS) and canned that because it would rub and began to show wear on the paint of the frame. I have now resorted to just installing the cage where the screws are on the bottom of down tube and with many uses I have no problems. Not a big deal to reach down and grab it (TWSS) while riding. Does get dirty but meh, it's mountain biking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD