Thread: '13 Mamasita

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

'13 Mamasita

Curious who is riding this bike and how do you like it. I hear it's really quick and fun. Anyone not like there's? Any regrets? Too stiff?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I built a frame up in July with a Krampus fork and P35 wheels. It's super fun and fast! I don't think it's too stiff even set up rigid. I've been riding it almost every day since I built it pulling my 2 yo son around in his trailer. Now that there's snow, I'm riding my Mukluk. The wife got jealous and now I have a small Mamasita frame to build up for her for Christmas. BTW, Treefortbikes.com has frames for $399.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by 10ford View Post
    I built a frame up in July with a Krampus fork and P35 wheels. It's super fun and fast! I don't think it's too stiff even set up rigid. I've been riding it almost every day since I built it pulling my 2 yo son around in his trailer. Now that there's snow, I'm riding my Mukluk. The wife got jealous and now I have a small Mamasita frame to build up for her for Christmas. BTW, Treefortbikes.com has frames for $399.
    Thanks

mtbr member

'13 Mamasita

I built one up for my son last summer with a 100mm Xfusion fork, SLX 10sp drivetrain with a SRAM BB30 2x crankset. It turned out awesome. I rode it a little offroad, and it was really fast and fun. Personally I would prefer a new school geometry w shorter chainstays, and more fork travel for the steep rocky "Play" rides I do, but Salsa's geo is so well balanced and dialed for typical XC / Trail riding. I'm used to 140mm suspension, so of course it felt stiff to me, but nothing some wide rims and fat low pressure tubeless tires wouldn't fix. SCT Honey Badgers worked pretty well and had good volume, decent traction, rolled well....matched the all-rounder nature of the bike well and work well for my son who rides a lot on mixed surfaces and hike and bike trails getting to school.
    This is the 3rd Salsa in my household....always had great experience with them.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    picked one up on closeout this fall. Did great for our local 12-hour race. ~25-26lb for a medium, depending on seat/pedals. Stuck a 700mm Salsa salt flat bar on it.

mtbr member
    Been playing around with the idea of getting one of the complete bikes and converting it to SS with one of the PF30 eccentric adapters on the market.

Any opinion on the stock wheels?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

My hot MamaSSita

Quote Originally Posted by Love Commander View Post
    Been playing around with the idea of getting one of the complete bikes and converting it to SS with one of the PF30 eccentric adapters on the market.

Any opinion on the stock wheels?
    I bought the frame, sourced some old parts, and found some blingy blue new parts and built up a single-speed. Hence, the MamaSSita. I used the problem solver PF30 EBB. Good stuff!

There's more detail and photos on my blog:
    Hot Salsa MamaSSita | natespin

Now that I've had much more time on this bike (been riding it since July '13) I can appreciate how the longer wheelbase makes downhills more "comfortable" compared to my XC race bike (Giant XTC carbon). It's a bit slower on tight switchbacks, but for overall riding, it's a blast.