mtbr member
    May 2009

120mm fork on Big Mama..good..bad?

Anyone running a 120mm fork on a Big Mama? Let me know your thoughts please.
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

Harmonius Wrench
    I've done that and ridden it a lot with a 120mm fork. The BB gets real high though. I'd recommend a dropper post, and using it every time you get off the bike.

But on a serious note, it does okay, with exception of the way high BB. I think static height with a Manitou 120mm fork was 13 plus inches!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Good....it does slow handling slightly, as anticipated. And as Guitar Ted mentions, it raises the bb. But it does fine on the endless rocks of central Pa singletrack. No issues at all.

I'm going to drop it to 100mm just to see what there is to see. I'm guessing that experiment doesn't last too long. If the handling sharpens up a bit and I enjoy the responsiveness, perhaps it'll stay but I like setting the fork soft and using much of that extra 20mm as sag. So it's not really that high as I ride it.

Who knows where I settle with it but overall, it works fine with 120mm.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I've been riding riding my Big Mama with a 120mm Reba Team, 20mm Maxle, for a little over a year. I think the bike handles great. I had a 100mm Reba on for a while and the rear suspension just seemed much plusher than the front. Once you go to 120mm of travel it is hard to go back, the 20mm thru axle helped as well! -- (frame and fork are for sale in the the classified ;-) as I'm loving my S.I.R. 9) Will miss the Big Mama though, probably the best descending bike I have ever owned.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thanks guys. I went with the Reba 120, my local shop hooked me up (thanks Fred at ZION CYCLES!) and I'm gonna try her out.

I wanted more the maxle than the extra 20mm of travel. Since its easy to adjust the for to 100mm if i don't like it I see little down side.

Thanks for the info.
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I've been riding my BM with a 20mm Maxle REBA U-Turn, so I've had a chance to try out both 120mm and 100mm. Personally, I prefer the handling and plushness of 120mm, especially on descents and bumps/jumps.
    Can't say that the higher BB hasn't been a major issue for my style of riding (which is pretty amateurish). On climbs though, the front end does get a bit light, but not enough for me to drop down to 100mm.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    had 100mm reba at first, as said above the rear suspension felt too much for this fork. went to 120mm minute and the suspension was much better balanced. have finally settled on a 100mm minute. i also put a slightly shorter stem on (90 down to 75) and prefer the sharper handling. in 100mm length the minute feels a better match for the rear than the reba ever did.

mtbr member
    Great !!! If you step up and ride it harder. I love mine with 120 on it .

CQ

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Been riding mine with a 5" Minute thru axle and loving it. Dont notice a high bb, but here in CT high is a plus. It climbs great also because of the longer stays I'm guessing, no lift or wandering in the front at all. I'm making climbs that I couldnt do on my Yeti 575.

Tom