Doesntplaywellwithmorons!

10 months to the day from when I brought home my spearfish frameset....

to finishing it, and this is how I've finished it so far. I hadn't even planned to own a spearfish really since my Dos Niner did all I needed it to do really for a 29er and I much prefer 650Bs to 29s (HEAR THAT SALSA EXECS !!!) and had my girlfriend NOT surprised me with a spearfish frameset last christmas day, I wouldn't have had this to assemble. It got its first off-road ride last night, under a full moon, in +19C weather (thank you hurricane sandy blowing warm air north to canada) and there were no gremlins but I do think I need to break the bushings/seals in a bit more, and experiment with shock pressures because I didn't hit full travel out of either the frame or the fork even though I got some jumps in. Also I clipped one tree with the handlebar end, I'm not used to riding with bars over 635mm in width.

Here's the parts break down...

Frame : 2011 Salsa Spearfish, large size
    Fork : Rockshox Reba RLT, 100mm 9QR dropouts
    Headset : stock canecreek tapered that came with frameset
    Bottom bracket : Parlee PF30 to 24mm external bearing
    Crankset : Deore LX 175mm external with 22/32 rings and raceface bash guard, Alloy ring bolts
    Pedals : Shimano M535 SPD
    Front Derailleur : Suntour XC-Pro microdrive 34.9 bottom pull
    Rear Derailleur : Shimano Ultegra 6700 GS-cage
    Shifters : Shimano BS7700 DuraAce with paul's thumbies mounts
    Cassette : SRAM X0 9speed 11-34 green alloy carrier
    Chain : KMC Z9200 9speed
    Brakeset : Hygia SLP with mix of stainless and titanium bolt hardware, 160/180mm Alligator Aeries rotors with green centers, titanium rotor bolts
    Hubset : WTB laserdisc lite, 32H front & back, Tranz-X spring-lock CrMo QR skewers
    Spokes : 3X lacing mix of DT Revolution 1.8/1.5 & DT Competition 1.8/1.6 double butted with alloy nipples
    Rims : DT Swiss X470 32H
    Tubes : Notubes rubber rimstrip conversion kit, 4ounces of sealant in back, 3 ounces in front
    Tires : Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.4s, evolution casing (NOT snakeskin, TL-ready or any other)
    Handlebar : Easton EC70 wide flat, 685mm width
    Stem : Scott USA / ARS system, 110mm x 7 degree
    Grips : Velo locking with gel-tape
    Seatpost : Aerus AL 31.6 x 350mm
    Saddle : Velo with titanium rails
    Accessories : Ringlé green annodized bottlecage, Incredibell
    Total weight as pictured : 26.8 pounds

Now when I was building it, I had already decided to run the rear brake line along the toptube as I hate the Salsa routing down the downtube and under the BB shell and along the chainstay. It wouldn't be so bad if the caliper was on the chainstay also, but for a seatstay position mount, it puts the brake hose through some ugly bends, not to mention that it requires a longer (HEAVIER) hose. Also unless you got an OEM maximum length brake line, or enjoy bleeding brakes and want to custom fit a line, its a ridiculously stupid way to go when you're selling framesets. Could Salsa NOT have simply added extra open guids along the toptube for those of us who want to run lines that way? We already need to zip-tie in a line if we want to run a remote dropper seatpost... put the guide there already guys !! I also ran into a problem where my front hose almost wasn't long enough, but after setting my stem position for the bar height I run, it worked out to be just enough front hose (did I mention I hate cutting hoses/bleeding disc brakes yet?).

I would have preferred the black paul's thumbies mounts and not silver but the distributor was out at the time I ordered so this is what the bike got. If I get some more black ones in the future I'll switch them. Also the grips aren't final as I will probably go with some ESI silicones or maybe some cork/rubber grips instead. I usually only run locking grips as a temporary until I find a grip I like to glue in place on the bar. The grip change is going to save me at least a couple ounces of weight as well. Likewise the seatpost is temporary as I just needed something that fit and will be replaced by something lighter, probably in carbon fiber. The crankset may get changed as well as I would have much preferred black crank arms to the silvery ones. Also if Hygia offered their Elite brakes in a green annodized version, I definitely would change the brakeset. I would have preferred to have minimal other annodized colours other than greens on the bike. At some stage also once I'm sure the stem/bar position works, I will switched to another stem with carbon spacers and cop the excess length off the fork steerer tube. Overall I should be able to keep the bike under 26.8 pounds even with adding a knog wireless computer to it.

I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    looks good. interesting drive-train combo. what was the reasoning for ultegra?

Quote Originally Posted by Hudnut View Post
    looks good. interesting drive-train combo. what was the reasoning for ultegra?
    Its lighter and it works perfectly fine with a 34T cog. I'm putting a dura-ace GS cage onto my Dos Niner when I get around to building the new wheelset for it (it donated its wheels to put the spearfish together).
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Nice unique build. Props on the old school cage too.

mtbr member
    How tight is that RR 2.4 in the rear? I have a Bonty 2.3 on mine and its pretty close.
    Nice looking bike

No tighter than a RR 2.25 is in a Dos Niner.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    So Dee - do you like riding the Spearfish. How does it feel. How does it compare with what you've previously ridden?

1.5 hours in and its ok so far. I've ridden several hundred bikes and personally owned easily a hundred though, so I'm going to need more time on it. I also need to sell off a couple more bikes from my collection as I have way too many that I'm hardly ever riding, taking up precious storage space.