mtbr member
    Jun 2012

XXL Element 950 seatpost Thompson

Looking to move my saddle back a little bit.

available in 30.9x 367 or 410 mm. Which one do you guys recommend?

Tx

ups and downs
    Keep in mind that you're quite limited in how far you can drop a Thomson seat post because of that weird kink in the middle of it. That's about 100mm down from the saddle clamp.

You need at least 100mm of seatpost inside the frame, so the best thing to do is mark how far the current seatpost is inside the frame and then take it out and measure the overall length to get an idea of how much exposed seatpost you have and how long the current post is.

Setback is available on other seatposts that wouldn't have the kink in the middle. Race Face Next or Turbine posts have a 13mm offset.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member

RE: XXL Element 950 seatpost Thompson

What RU says for measuring, that's what I did. But if you are after max setback the Thomson will offer a greater effective setback than most other posts.
    Sent from my Lumia 920 using Board Express

ups and downs
    The Thomson is only 16mm of setback for all its kinkiness, just 3mm more than the RF, something like the Enve offers a full 25mm of setback.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member

RE: XXL Element 950 seatpost Thompson

The Enve seatpost is relatively new. And a 25mm offset is the exception not the rule. If a sp model even offers an offset 12.5mm or 1/2" is the most common. If one is desperate for offset 16 is still better than 12.5. Anyways that's the excuse I used to spend the extra dough on a Thomson. Plus I thought the kink completed the sxc top tube kink nicely. But remember I'm not shallow, it had more offset!!!
    Sent from my Lumia 920 using Board Express

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Ritchey has several options at 30.9x400mm with significant setback, up to 25mm.

I'm running a WCS carbon Trail post which works great. I've had good luck with Thomson setback posts too, but the Ritchey is lighter and has been just as reliable (ie. I never think about it, once installed correctly).

Another aspect to consider when selecting a seatpost is rail compatibility. Thomson, some Ritcheys, Enve are compatible with 7x9mm carbon rails. RaceFace and several others are not. I've become a fan of carbon railed Fizik saddles (for me they hold up better than Kr and Ti rails), so always choose a post that supports that option.

mtbr member
    Good to know about Ritchey @ 25mm. For the 950 I'm starting to look around for a dropper post and there are so many more headaches when going that direction!