Thread: XX1 on element

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

XX1 on element

Hi,
    I'm looking for some help. I have an alloy element 50 (26"), and want to change the drivetrain to the SRAM XX1. Could anybody let me know what configuration I need please.

Also, are the carbon seat stays compatible with the alloy chain stays ( and can I buy them anywhere). I've damaged my stays slightly and was hoping to upgrade to the harder carbon ones.

Thanks in advance
    Medz

ups and downs
    The carbon seat stays won't be harder than the alloy stays, they might be stiffer and lighter, but the surface won't be harder or more damage resistant.

For the XX1 drivetrain, the crankset is really the only critical variable in your choices of: wide and narrow Q, and the GXP or BB30 bottom bracket. The Q168 wide version would be a safer fit, the Q156 narrow version would only have a few millimetres clearance to the chainstays. That is likely to be cutting it too close. And you'd need a GXP press-in BB-92 bottom bracket, not the BB-30.

Then you need a rear wheel with a hub that can be converted to XX1 freehub body, so something like a DT Swiss 240S or 350 rear hub.

Then you'll need the XX1 derailleur, the cassette and trigger shifter or grip shifter, depending on your preference.

The XX1 cranks all come with a 32T chainring, so you might as well try that, as you have to buy separate XX1 chainrings if you wanted to change that to a 28, 30, 34, 36 or 38 tooth chainring.

The nice thing is you won't need a front chainguide, the XX1 chairnings should keep the chain on the chainring.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks Rocky, that's super helpful.
    Medz

Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    The carbon seat stays won't be harder than the alloy stays, they might be stiffer and lighter, but the surface won't be harder or more damage resistant.

For the XX1 drivetrain, the crankset is really the only critical variable in your choices of: wide and narrow Q, and the GXP or BB30 bottom bracket. The Q168 wide version would be a safer fit, the Q156 narrow version would only have a few millimetres clearance to the chainstays. That is likely to be cutting it too close. And you'd need a GXP press-in BB-92 bottom bracket, not the BB-30.

Then you need a rear wheel with a hub that can be converted to XX1 freehub body, so something like a DT Swiss 240S or 350 rear hub.

Then you'll need the XX1 derailleur, the cassette and trigger shifter or grip shifter, depending on your preference.

The XX1 cranks all come with a 32T chainring, so you might as well try that, as you have to buy separate XX1 chainrings if you wanted to change that to a 28, 30, 34, 36 or 38 tooth chainring.

The nice thing is you won't need a front chainguide, the XX1 chairnings should keep the chain on the chainring.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Hey Rocky,
    Do you know if I Rocky Mountain would sell a set of carbon seat stays? I quite fancy having that extra stiffness - just like my 2010 element 70!
    I was wondering if the stock RP2 shock is worth upgrading to the new CTD. Does anyone have any experience of both these shocks? Would I need it custom valved?
    Big thanks
    Medz

ups and downs
    Rocky would likely be able to supply the carbon seat stays as replacement parts.

I'm not sure that CTD would be a big advantage on the 26" Element, I quite like the OEM tuned RP3 on my Element 70 MSL compared to the CTD on my Instinct 970.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada