mtbr member
    Jan 2015

Why choose Rocky Mountain ?

Of all the big names out there, why did you buy Rocky Mountain ?

ups and downs
    I've liked the geometry, finish and the ride of Rocky bikes since the 90's, bought my first Vertex hardtail in 2000 as a frame only, built and painted locally. I've liked the way they ride and the way they look ever since.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    The shop I bought it from gave me a lifetime service plan. Adjustments and such...

Then, Rocky Mountain has done a great job with its finish/colors. That's a big one for me.

The bike is a well known brand, and honestly, the frame is about the only thing that's RM. The rest of the components are same as many other bikes'.

chips & bier
    RM has the right combination of form and function for me. I like their designs in a visual sense (kinda pointless to have an ugly bike if you're spending more than $1000, IMO) and the geometry has always suited me. Top tubes are a bit short for my monkey arms, but the ride quality has been great. I've ridden otherbikes but they hardly if ever put as big a smile on my face while blasting down the trail.

While you'll probably find a couple of disgruntled customers on this forum (as with almost every brand this size), I've always been treated very well by RMB and its distributors to which I am at the mercy of.

I'm pretty sure I will stick with RM for the time to come, either to add to the bike shed if they announce their new DH frame soon, or to replace whichever of the 26ers is worn out first (likely the hardtail).

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    kinda pointless to have an ugly bike if you're spending more than $1000, IMO
    That's what I said. Why make an ugly bike and price it high. Give it some visuals and colors. I look for good parts and all that, but if the color is "blah", I pass.

ups and downs
    I suspect that matte finish neon colours on bike frames will be the bicycle equivalent of shag carpet, it'll scream 2015 the way polyester suits and shag carpet screamed the mid-70's. I walked into my local Rocky dealer a couple of weeks ago to put a deposit on a Thunderbolt and every brand there seemed to have some combination of matte neon and some other matte colour. With the new Rocky bikes plus Giant, Kona, Knolly and Intense taking the same path, it looked like an explosion in a Pantone factory.

Having been there for neon and spatter paint finishes on MTB's in the lates 80's, I know neon will be a passing fad, like purple ano (also back again), I'm just happy to know that repainting a bike frame isn't that big a challenge. :-)
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I'm leaning towards RM ..

Is their entry level Hardtail an ok choice ?

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by gat3keeper View Post
    I'm leaning towards RM ..

Is their entry level Hardtail an ok choice ?
    I got the 2015 RM Soul 27.5. Great bike! RM Vapor is 729, Soul 899, and Fusion 1099. I've looked at all of them and chose the middle one. Vapor is a nice one too. Suntour XCM fork. Now, I haven't experienced the high end forks much, so I'm very happy with mine.