mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Which wheelset to keep?

Hi guys

I just bought a 2013 Rocky Mountain Slayer 70 as my do it all bike to replace a Trance X1 and Glory DH1.

I had recently upgraded the wheelset on my Trance to cope with my weight (100kg) and riding preferences to hope pro2 evo hubs and stans flow rims.

The new rig has come with dt swiss e1.6 rims and hubs. I can't seem to find much info on them. I only want to hold on to one wheelset as I live in an apartment and got a do it all to save space and clutter. The dt swiss wheels seem a bit slow to engage but very solid. I had dt swiss on my trance for 5 years and they performed flawlessly so I can't fault the brand.

I've only used the hopes for a 24hr race and they spun up exceptionally well and by all accounts are very strong.

Resale on the hopes would prob be better to recover some money on the new rig but I am leaning towards keeping them.

Which wheelset do you guys think I should sell and which should I keep?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I'd keep your custom hope wheels, they're a known quantity compared to the DT wheels, and although the DTs might be okay, you had your hopes built for you, whereas a factory wheelset are built for the average....
    Rocky Mountain 2003 Hammer, 2009 Vertex 70 RSL, 2012 Element 970
    2012 Wilier Triestina Gran Turismo

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Something to consider.... Whats the internal rim width on those DT's?

The DT wheels say they are star ratchet on the rocky website which should mean you can upgrade the star ratchet from 18 to 36 POE easily to quicken the engagement. I believe the Hopes are 24.

If they feel solid like you say I'd be inclined to stick with them (DT makes good hubs...)... But rim width matters to me. I like a wider rim so that would play into the decision.

mtbr member
    I would definitely use the hope wheel set. My 2012 Slayer came with crap hubs compared to the ProII's I was using on my last bike. The new ones LOOK cooler but function nowhere as nice as the Hopes. A new wheel set is first on my list of upgrades this year (likely I9's with Stan's rims).

I like DT rims for what it's worth.
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.