mtbr member
    Dec 2006

what size altitude?

Im thinking about soon getting a '14 altitude rally edition. im 5'7 and 3/4, im stuck on wether to get a med or small. current trail bike is a santa cruz butcher, size medium w/ 50mm stem, fits me so well, with a reach that is actually a
    hair shorter than the small altitude. I pedaled around a med altitude at the lbs (they didnt have a small i could try) and it did feel a tad long, but the salesman thought i was nuts to even consider a small. I wouldnt mind running a super short stem (30-35 mm like on my blindside) on a med. i do tend to like short cockpits, but maybe im just so used to santa cruz' sizing. I have back issues so i like a more upright position. Just curious to see if anyone else my height got this frame, and what size they got.
    the salesman also let me check out a kona process (also really nice) if i got that, it would definitely be a small.
    thansk in advance.
    Last edited by dwyooaj; 10-04-2013 at 10:16 PM.
    '14 rocky mountain altitude, rally edition
    '11 transition blindside

ups and downs
    A medium would typically fit 5'-8" to 5'-10" so you're right in between the Small and Medium fit range. The M has a 585mm HTT and the Small has a 565mm HTT, so 20mm shorter. A medium Butcher has a 571mm HTT so it is also between a S and M Altitude. It sounds like you could go with a Small Altitude and a 60mm stem and have the same top tube reach.

The Butcher has a 72deg seat tube angle so your butt is further behind the cranks than it would be on the Altitude with the 73.6-75.3deg seat tube angle range. Where is the saddle positioned on your Butcher now (forward or back on the seat post clamp rails)?

The Reach on the Altitude is variable with the Ride9 from 392mm-410mm. The Reach is the horizontal distance between a vertical line drawn through the crank spindle and the centre of the head tube at the top tube. SC doesn't give a Reach spec for the Butcher but it is likely shorter since the seat angle is only 72deg.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    reach on my med butcher with a 160 mm fork (545 a-c) and -.5 deg angleset is 381.2. I would probably run the alt in the slackest, shortest setting. small reach 387, med reach 405 (for the rally edition, shoulda mentioned that above). Which is why im thinking to get a small. I know all about reach vs TT; i never go by TT just the reach and stack.
    Bikes seem to be running a bit longer these days.
    '14 rocky mountain altitude, rally edition
    '11 transition blindside

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I am 5.6", 135#, but don't have longer legs or longer torso- pretty much regular proportions. Ran a medium in my old 5-spot, but am on a small Altitude, which feels about right. When I demo'ed it, it was in the slackest setting for Ride 9, which made it feel too slack for good climbing. It's in setting #3 right now, which I am liking a lot. Better for climbing, then there are several other settings that can be fiddled with for downhill.