sam575

What fork for ETSX Team?

I'm currently running a 2007 Fox Float RLC 140mm. Great fork, but just doesn't feel right. I think it's too tall. Thinking 130mm would better suited to marathon racing, which is what I mostly do.

So what's the best 130mm fork... DT Swiss XMC? RS Revelation? Manitou Minute?

OR am I on the wrong bike altogether? Should I be riding an Element for endurance events? I notice that most people I race with are on 100mm travel bikes ie Epics, Sparks, Anthems or carbon hartails.

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    I guess it depends what you mean by "endurance events". My last race I rode on an 100mm front and rear full suspension bike, but that was a 5 person team relay event with sub 1 hour laps, plus the course was not terribly technical. If I was doing something truly endurance and with more technical terrain like the Transrockies I'd definitely appreciate more travel. For the ETSX I have to say I really like the 2007+ Talas II forks with 100-120-140mm travel which seems to match up well with the selectable rear travel of the ETSX.
    Last edited by kwarwick; 08-19-2008 at 05:17 PM.

ups and downs
    From a reliability point of view the Fox TALAS is likely the best bet for actual marathon racing. My 2007 ETSX Team came with a Marz XC700 that was a lemon, I tried a 2008 Marz XC700 ATA and that worked much better but is quite slow to change travel, and it's not as easy to setup as the TALAS.

The DT Swiss XMC-130 is an unusually tall fork, 509mm A2C so it is the same as the 510mm A2C of a 140mm Fox Float or TALAS, so that wouldn't change the way your bike feels (although the carbon fork lowers would match up with the carbon swingarm nicely).

What travel do you run the rear at?

sam575
    I ride 100km point to point marathon events. Race duration of approx 6-8 hours depending on terrain.

Yeah those carbon lowers do look nice on the DT forks! I like the ETA style travel reduction mode, however the advantage of the TALAS is you still get the use of whatever travel is set, whereas the DT forks will return to 130mm when you hit a bump.

For the majority of the time I run the full 5" of travel on the rear. I see you ride your ETSX set at 4". How come? What difference does this make? Does it change the head angle so much so that you need to drop the travel of your fork as well?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I rode a 2007 etsx (LBS loaner bike) with a marzo eta and now ride my 2008 etsx with a TALAS rlc. Both are nice, I prefer the versatilty of the FOX. My rear travel is set to 4" for most of the local trail riding (I used to ride a HT around here so 4" is pure luxury) but I use the higher settings when it gets more extreme.

ups and downs
    The BB on the ETSX is fairly high so 4" of rear travel works for most of the rides I take my ETSX on (but I have the luxury of having a Slayer SXC for gnarlier trails that call for more travel). With 4" on the rear and a TALAS or XC700 on the front I find I can slacken out the head angle for more technical descents by extending the fork. I'm currently running the ETSX as a nice light fixed 4" travel bike (removed the shock QR too), as that's how it gets used 90% of the time.

sam575
    Think I might try the 09 RS Revelaton with remote lockout (handy for racing). Still has an adjustable lockout threshold like the TALAS, 110mm-140mm travel adjust, but misses out on what is probably a way more advanced dampening system as Fox are always one step a head in R&D.
    I had an 06 revelation and enjoyed its stiffness and linear feel. New 09 graphics will suit the RM Team paint as well...

Ride the dream
    Since its not on your list....

Take a look at the Magura Laurin - excellent (and very stiff) 130mm fork - with adjuster to let you pick 100 onthefly.

Not a weight weenie choice but a damn good fork. That against a revelation would be my pick on a 130, but I would go with the magura in the end probably.

Bonus feature - you can get custom coloured leg lowers, which ofcourse matters