mtbr member

Well, I bought a Element 970... (not 930 as title)

...and had a play today on my favourite trail - it's rather nice...

So far all I can say is the round the block test confined it felt good on fit etc,which confirmed the sale.

A couple or hours later and a swap of the 115 stem and flat bars for a 70 and a riser, I was away on my favourite trail

Well impressed so far, pics and blurb to follow...
    Last edited by bonesetter2004; 11-01-2012 at 02:20 AM.

mtbr member
    Here are some pics I took today.

The hydroformed tubes are very nice, and well shaped too. I like the TT curve which gives good standover, and the round DT changing to oval at the BB intersection is cool.

The size large fits me like a glove at nearly 6'3" with a 34" rider's inseam. I have swapped the stock 110 stem (I ask you, who uses 110's still?) for a 90 and also fitted wider riser bars

mtbr member
    Awesome man. What stem is that?

mtbr member
    Chhers. It's an X4 Thompson 90x10° I may take out a steerer spacer or two, but fit feels spot on just now

mtbr member
    I recently spotted a 950 in my size at Evans and asked to take it out for a short ride. It looked absolutely stunning, one of the neatest frames around and full of clever ideas. Out riding, it accelerated very quickly, maintained speed with ease and frame stiffness felt excellent. With slightly more than 30% sag there was no unwanted suspension movement, no matter how sloppily I pedalled or hard I sprinted the bike. Minimal travel and all that efficiency made for a firm ride with little small bump compliance. I'm sure that’s how it was intended but not so sure if it’s for me. Still, not much to complain about at the prices Evans are selling Elements for just now.

mtbr member
    Yours is a pretty fair summation of what I found on my short spin round on the 970 from the Evans Bike Shop. Those short impressions are also what have stayed since.

The biggest trail impression to make mention to however is the eagerness of this bike to want to please and move about, really chalk and cheese to a some other similar bikes I tested before buying the RM

MTB B'dos
    Congrats Bones, it looks very sweet indeed, looking forward to your report on it and comparisons to other bikes you've had. What size did you get? From the lack of exposed post I've have to guess at least a Large if not XL. Thinking of getting myself a lightweight XC frame for when a ride doesn't involve our chunkier trails to give a bit of a break over the 33.5lb Prime and all reports on these are very positive. BTW, any idea how much it weighs?
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

mtbr member
    I like this bike – a lot. OK so this is going to be a bit gushy, but Rocky Mountain's Element 970 really is a winner. The feel is one of being compact, agile and alive – great fun

I've been riding 29er's for a fair few years of a fair few flavours – Niner's, Lenz's, Wolfhound, rigid, FS, HT etc. I live in a hilly area with woods so appreciate an efficient pedlar, nimble in technical terrain, and a hoot on the fast descents. I've previously been a fan of short CS length and super slack fronts...

I've had somewhat of an epiphany recently with two bikes – a Wolfhound and a Kona Raijin, both of which are exceptional bikes which I run rigid. The 'hound has very Jones-esque geo with a very slack ST, short reach and not so slack HT. Standing to pedal the short front is most noticeable. The tucked in front wheel goes a long way to making for a very lively agile, fun and involving ride. The Raijin's HTA is ~70 with a Niner rigid fork and this feels a little similar on the front...

The Element reminds me a lot of this tucked in front, agile, alive etc feel. It's the thing I like the best about the Element. You can really move on this bike and the bike seems quite at home doing this, indeed works better the harder you work the bike. It's always moving whatever you're doing.

RM's 970 is a very well thought out and designed bike. Manufacture looks first rate and the hydroformed curved and ovalised tubing looks impressive Complemented with R1 brakeset, X0/X9 drive components which I like, all makes for a synergised combination.

Suspension (RM's 'SmoothLink'):

Every account is of a brilliant climbing platform and sure enough the rear multi-link arrangement doesn't disappoint. On steep climbing it gives just the right amount over obstacles like roots and steps keeping you hooked up and going up. Super step techy climbs are nailed with ease

I've been messing with air in the shock and found I needed 235psi to get 30% sag and this makes for a firm (and forgiving when needed) platform. Using less air tunes down the feel to a more plush feel. The 100mm Reba SID feels well matched and works well with the bike. I was using the lockout a fair bit but found unless standing it wasn't needed

'Active under braking' – how nice does this feel? I've had bikes (single pivots spring to mind) which were prone to 'packing-up' and feeling overwhelmed – not nice. Dropping down off ledges on the brakes is where the rear can be felt doing its thing the most. Makes a big difference to the amount of braking input which can be applied

It soaks up the bumps well on the longer faster down runs. Never feels like it's bottoming out or ramping-up

Fit: I went for a large. I'm a shade under 6'3” with a long body and the large fits like a glove with a 90 stem and riser bars.

Changes I may make – I am planning a lighter wheelset, but the way it is now I don't think I'll bother, it has a nice snappy feel under pedal input.

Gearing - 1x9

mtbr member
    May 2006
    How much do you weigh?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by historeeteacher View Post
    How much do you weigh?
    ~195 kitted up