Mtbr's 2016 Winter Biking GearReviews and Roundups

FAT BIKES

WINTER APPAREL

TRAINERS

mtbr member
    Jan 2016

Weight of Alloy vertex 950 frame?

Just wondering if anyone happens to know the weight of the alloy vertex frame? Just bought a 2015 Vertex 950, haven't even taken delivery yet as my shop is trying to get some 170mm crank arms.
    Weighed it while there and a bit surprised to see it's 27 lbs, seems a bit high for a decent hardtail with all xt components, is the weight in the frame? Any well known lead lumps of components that have to go? I would have though 23-24 lbs... 5 lbs is a lot to shed when the components are half decent already....

Thanks.

ups and downs
    Likely in the 4 pound range for a Large 29" alloy frame. The spec weight for the Vertex 950 is 26.6 pounds without pedals in Medium.

The Shimano MT-15 wheels are 2188gms, so those are chunky. The Race Face Evolve cranks are about 900gms compared to 725gms for Turbines.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    4 lbs eh? Hm. Did frames get heavier the last 20 years? Thanks for the info, I was wondering about the wheels. Close to half lb for the crank too? That's something. But man, I don't think it's worth the money to try to get this under 25 lbs. A bit disappointing.
    That being said, my last lightweight sub 25 lb bike in the 90s practically bent sideways during a sprint!

Cheers

ups and downs
    The 26" Large alloy frames were around 3.6-3.8 pounds, the Easton scandium 26" frames were around 3.2 pounds, and the longer seat and chainstays of the 29" frames add some weight.

The 950 RSL is where the big weight savings are, the carbon frame is around 1kg/2.2 pounds.
    Last edited by rockyuphill; 1 Week Ago at 04:49 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Thanks Rocky! I appreciate it.
    Since I didn't take delivery of the 950 yet (It was being PPI'd) I cancelled it and bought an RSL 990.

No, seriously. I actually did.

22.8 Lbs with tubes and steel shaft pedals! That's more like it!

Here's the thing, the shop I got it from (New old stock, 2 years old) is hours away and I'm not bringing it back in. Enough driving today. But I have a small issue-

The lockout on the RS SID 29 XX is sticky- as in the cable won't retract on it's own, I need to turn the nubbin on the shock to retract it. This just a matter of cleaning or is the collar overtightened? (It hung from the ceiling for 2 years)

I also have to do the unthinkable and add about 20mm to the stem. It's a short bike. Other than that, I can't wait to give er!

ups and downs
    The carbon frame RSL version is well worth it. And it's not like you get any interest on money you leave in a savings account these days.

If the remote cable is released from the lockout knob entirely, does the knob move easily, or is it gummy and sticky in movement? It might need some disassembly and cleaning. Maybe some lube on the remote lever if there was cable lube that has dried out and turned to goo. But then again, with the SID dual air setup, I've found it is usually pretty easy to get a fork setup that doesn't need the lockout for most riding conditions.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Yeah, I figured why always feel like I wanted to get something lighter and better, or just do it and keep it for the foreseeable future!

The knob move easily enough, but isn't it supposed to be spring loaded a bit? If I pull a bit on the residual cable end at the knob while activating the click/release it works just fine.

ups and downs
    The last SID WC fork I had was equipped with the hydraulic remote, so I haven't tinkered with the RS cable remote.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Cable was binding in the pulley area on the fork . Fixed. Thanks.

ups and downs
    Good that it was something simple.