mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Warranty issue for 2007 Element

Does anyone know what the warranty on a RM frame is that has already been replaced under warranty is? Just found a crack on the seat tube where the linkage bracket is welded to the seat tube. This Element frame was a replacement for a 2007 that had cracked near the bottom bracket two years ago. Does the original warranty of five years still apply to the replacement frame? I called LBS where I purchased the bike and they did not have a definitive answer for me so I'm turning to the experts. Thanks

ups and downs
    The replacement frame warranty continues to the end of the warranty period for the original purchase.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

So let me get this straight

A Rocky Mtn Element purchased in Mar of 2007 is out of warranty, even though the original frame and swingarm have been replaced under that warranty?

ups and downs
    That's the way it has been explained in the past. It's best to talk to RMB directly and find out the details related to your particular situation.

When you think about it, that's the way all time limited warranties work, if you have a 5 year 50,000 mile power train warranty on your car, they'll replace anything and everything for 5 years and then at 5 years and 1 day, you're on your own.It doesn't matter how many miles are on the power train, if you only have 30,000 miles on the car at the end of 5 years, the warranty is still done.
    Last edited by rockyuphill; 11-29-2012 at 08:30 AM.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I'd say you got your monies worth, time to upgrade.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    No doubt I have gotten my money's worth, yet LBS contacted me this afternoon and said that frame will be replaced. Happy for the quick response from Rocky Mtn as well as bike shop for their help. Should be 10-14 days, just need to wait for paint and prep. Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    I'd say you got your monies worth, time to upgrade.
    So I've been rebuilding my 2008 Element as it was making some nasty creaking noises on the ONE one hour ride I used it for last season. Got the main bearings out and decided they need replacing. Before pressing the order button somewhere I decided to give the frame a good once over, this thread was in the back of my mind.

Sure enough, a small crack in the same place as highlife! I took delivery of my Element in the winter of 2008 is it's just barely within the 5 years. The LBS I bought it from, who is no longer an RMB dealer, is going to see what Rocky says this week.

While the bike is 5 years old, it doesn't have a lot of miles on it. The first couple of years I rode it a fair bit. Last few years I've usually only used it for one outing to the Rockies. First frame I've ever had a crack in.