mtbr member

Vintage RM Equipe

Hoping some of you Rocky aficionados can tell me the year of this bike. And what material/ steel the tubeset is made of? I have the opportunity to purchase this bike. It is in good stock condition with DX components, Wolber wheels and sports the monostay rear frame. The person selling is asking $400.00. Is this a reasonable price to pay, or too much $ ?

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I'm thinking 1989 or 1990 - tubing would be Tange Prestige. Fork would also be Tange Big Fork. Full Deore DX kit with Wolber AT18's I remember.

mtbr member
    Thanks Larry. Yes, you are correct. I cross posted this in the Vintage, Retro, Classic forum and got a pdf file of the RM 1990 catalog and there it was. But I'm wondering if serial # has anything to do with "year", because (91) appears in the body of the numbers. Not only that but the rear drop outs are solid on mine, the 90 had cut outs. And the cable stays are on the side of the frame, not the top as in 1990.

Anyway... I bought it - 350$.

intentionally left blank
    i looked at that 1990 catalogue pdf and i don't think that's the right year.

i had a 1991 catalogue that i wore out paging through it over and over and over again, and i think your bike is a 1991.

the '90 had black seatstays, the '91 had a yellow rear triangle.

nice score by the way!

RMBs of that vintage are so rare - there's a walkup near my house with a Cirrus/Experience on the second floor balcony - it calls to me every time i walk by...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrian
    there's a walkup near my house with a Cirrus/Experience on the second floor balcony - it calls to me every time i walk by...
    Thanks for the I.D. Adrian.

It's funny you should mention a Cirrus. I have a 1990 (18.5") that's in pieces at the moment. As of late I have entertained the thought of selling her... but not quite sure because it's so unique. Not even sure what it would be worth.

Here's a pic of the frame. Very good condition. Decals are missing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by top_ring
    Thanks Larry. Yes, you are correct. I cross posted this in the Vintage, Retro, Classic forum and got a pdf file of the RM 1990 catalog and there it was. But I'm wondering if serial # has anything to do with "year", because (91) appears in the body of the numbers. Not only that but the rear drop outs are solid on mine, the 90 had cut outs. And the cable stays are on the side of the frame, not the top as in 1990.

Anyway... I bought it - 350$.
    ,Hi if the colour scheme is anything to go by then it is a 1990 Equipe. My mate has one in the same colour which he bought new in 1990, and its still going strong.

intentionally left blank
    Quote Originally Posted by top_ring
    Thanks for the I.D. Adrian.

It's funny you should mention a Cirrus. I have a 1990 (18.5") that's in pieces at the moment. As of late I have entertained the thought of selling her... but not quite sure because it's so unique. Not even sure what it would be worth.
    and funny you should have a polished Cirrus - i had a '91 Nimbus that i polished just like that! it may have been the best bike i ever had.

if you are going to sell your cirrus frame, i call dibs. i don't really know what it's worth either, but i'd love to hammer out a price - i've been looking for something like my old Nimbus for a long time.

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    I'm not gonna call dibs because I can't really fit an 18.5" rocky of that era and if I really wanted that style frame, there's still some Top Image Neptunes on ebay for $20 each (made with the same jigs as the cirrus frames were).
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

mtbr member
    It's a 91-92. I still have one. Rocky had paint problems with the Imron paint they used for that era bikes. The paint chipped off which was covered by warranty. The frame is Tange Prestige. Great bike if you can get it. Here it is http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/204930/
    Last edited by Hangtime; 08-30-2006 at 12:21 PM.