mtbr member
    Dec 2005

vertex rsl cabling issues

Hi,

I own a vertex rsl frame (29er) with the internal cabling.
    I have some issues with shiftquality , and having a XTR shadowplus does not help probably.
    I have audible cablerub at the entry of the rear shift cable near the headtube. Anyone can share experiences ? I'm using brandnew lubed XTR shiftcables (no liner).
    Front derailleur (XTR) works like a charm.
    I run straight cables within the downtube and cross cables under the bottom bracket.

any pointers or experiences to share ?

as a workaround I'm currently running direct full cable housing on the outside of the frame (piggy backing on the hydro-cable for the rear brake). shift performance is perfect now.
    but need to decide if I keep this and clean it up a bit or go back "through the mines of Moria" :-)

cheers

ups and downs
    Worth every penny to use a set of SRAM/Gore fully sealed shift cables with the internal cable routing. I used them on my Instinct 999 frame, and even with the extra loops and twists around the BB for the suspension, it cut lever effort at the XTR shifter by half. On a hardtail you'll likely never need to touch your cables again. I put a set of Gore sealed cables on my 26" Vertex RSL in 2009 and have never needed to touch them again, after the initial stretch, they have never needed adjustment. They are fussy and time consuming to install, but you just need to follow the instructions and you only have to do it once.

Universal Cycles -- Sram Pro Shift Gore Cable System
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    I found it worked better for me crossing internally as it then running straighter to the rear mech from the exit point.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    thanks for the suggestions

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Rocky Vertex Shift Cable drag

Quote Originally Posted by slashy View Post
    Hi,

I own a vertex rsl frame (29er) with the internal cabling.
    I have some issues with shiftquality , and having a XTR shadowplus does not help probably.
    I have audible cablerub at the entry of the rear shift cable near the headtube. Anyone can share experiences ? I'm using brandnew lubed XTR shiftcables (no liner).
    Front derailleur (XTR) works like a charm.
    I run straight cables within the downtube and cross cables under the bottom bracket.

any pointers or experiences to share ?

as a workaround I'm currently running direct full cable housing on the outside of the frame (piggy backing on the hydro-cable for the rear brake). shift performance is perfect now.
    but need to decide if I keep this and clean it up a bit or go back "through the mines of Moria" :-)

cheers
    I have the Vertex and an Element.Both internal routed cables and went to Gore sealed system which helped a bunch ,also be sure your cables are not crossed in the frame as they will rub and wear out plus shifting will be effected.Its time for cables again and I think I'm going outside for the rear one like you did to avoid the internal rubbing of the frame tube.Only problem i have had with these great bikes.Ride On

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I discovered afterwards I had a broken chainstay (crack hidden under the chainstay protector). tension of the cable held the broken chainstay together but gave the bad shifting.
    Rocky gave me a new frame , but I paid extra and got an Element frame. using the good old SIS41 for now and so far smoooooth action.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    How was rocky to deal with? Did you have to go through a dealer or were you able to contact them directly? Cannondale is pretty tight about not going through a dealer and this meant driving 6 hours to the nearest.

Ready to get a vertex but no dealers in my area have any clearouts (new 990 out of my range)
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    went via dealer. good service. no issues whatsoever.