mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Vertex RSL 70 flex

I am curious if anyone experience this on their Vertex carbon frame and is this is normal.
    I am holding the down tube near the BB and squeeze it hard and the down tube gives. It's like holding an unopen can of coke/pepsi and squeeze it real hard. You can see and feel the can give but when you let go the can resume a normal shape. Is this normal on my Vertex RSL??? Thanks

ups and downs
    Yep, very normal, you could feel the same thing on the scandium Vertex Team frames in spots too.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Not noticed that but then again I don;t spend my evenings squeezing my frame

Will have to check mine tomorrow. I like CF, it's an amazing material - I always used to like watching my rowing blades bend an incredible degree and then straighten up to return the enrgy stored in them through the stroke..
    Rocky Mountain 2003 Hammer, 2009 Vertex 70 RSL, 2012 Element 970
    2012 Wilier Triestina Gran Turismo

mtbr member
    I did that on a Kuota cross frame. I squeezed the tube and it moved. It felt like I would have been able to crush it with my hand if I wanted. I thought that was scary/odd. I walked away from the bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by marmoset
    Not noticed that but then again I don;t spend my evenings squeezing my frame

Will have to check mine tomorrow. I like CF, it's an amazing material - I always used to like watching my rowing blades bend an incredible degree and then straighten up to return the enrgy stored in them through the stroke..
    funny! I was a little hesitant at first but bought the frame anyway. Hopefully it won't break when the pebbles hit the down tube.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill
    Yep, very normal, you could feel the same thing on the scandium Vertex Team frames in spots too.
    Thanks, it's good to know this is normal.

ups and downs
    The Vertex Team RSL frame is even thinner, especially in the middle of the downtube.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by snellvilleGAbiker
    funny! I was a little hesitant at first but bought the frame anyway. Hopefully it won't break when the pebbles hit the down tube.
    I've had plenty of stone strikes on mine and not even a paint chip as yet.
    Rocky Mountain 2003 Hammer, 2009 Vertex 70 RSL, 2012 Element 970
    2012 Wilier Triestina Gran Turismo

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by marmoset
    I've had plenty of stone strikes on mine and not even a paint chip as yet.
    That's good to know. However, do you guys think it's a good idea to put a thin M3 clear film over the down tube? I am just paranoid. Never have a carbon frame before. Thanks

ups and downs
    I've got a strip of the heavy 2mm thick clear protector on the chainstay on the drive side but I haven't wanted to add the weight of the frame protector film on the downtube. I can feel some roughness in the clearcoat, but that's just the paint finish, not the carbon material.Usually I have coating of mud on the downtube to absorb rock impacts.

One of the best upgrades I did on my Vertex was the Gore Ride-On cables. Half the effort at the shift levers and never a change in the wet and muck.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vertex RSL 70 flex-2010_0612new0023-1.jpg  

Subject to Whimsy
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by snellvilleGAbiker
    That's good to know. However, do you guys think it's a good idea to put a thin M3 clear film over the down tube? I am just paranoid. Never have a carbon frame before. Thanks
    If you ride in rocky terrain, I recommend some kind of down tube/bb area protection. I took a chunk out of my Altitude awhile back - thread here:I Wacked My Altitude - and I have since gone to some pains to try and protect those areas. Unfortunately there's not much you can do with rocks the size of a cat jumping up at you.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

bought it anyway

Eventhough i was hesitant about the "feel" on the down tube. Here is a picture

ups and downs
    Singlespeed with magic ratio or half link?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Singlespeed with magic ratio or half link?
    SS magic gear for this frame is 34/20

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Any chance RM make the vertex RSL in 29er?

ups and downs
    If the Vertex 29er continues to grow in popularity there's always a chance of that. The mould costs for carbon frames are really pricey, and they need a large enough forecast for sales to make that worth the investment (in several sizes). Rocky is still a small company compared to Specialized and Giant, so they can't do a Costner "build it and they will come" approach to those carbon frame moulds.

With the reviews that the Altitude 29 is getting in Europe, I'd lay odds that they have a carbon Altitude 29 before a carbon Vertex 29.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    If the Vertex 29er continues to grow in popularity there's always a chance of that. The mould costs for carbon frames are really pricey, and they need a large enough forecast for sales to make that worth the investment (in several sizes). Rocky is still a small company compared to Specialized and Giant, so they can't do a Costner "build it and they will come" approach to those carbon frame moulds.

With the reviews that the Altitude 29 is getting in Europe, I'd lay odds that they have a carbon Altitude 29 before a carbon Vertex 29.
    Thanks, you're probably right. I love the geo of this frame alot. I know there's an aluminum vertex 29er. I hope i'll have a chance to demo it one day.