mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Vertex - Inferno 23 Tubeless

I just ordered my first Rocky Mountain a Vertex 950 RSL. In the future I'd like to upgrade the wheel set, but for now I am going to be riding the Inferno 23 rims and Race King tires that come on the bike. I searched the forums but didn't find a lot of information on setting them up tubeless (outside of Cannondale shipping them with valves and yellow tape installed and people having problems seating the tires). Since they're specced on a few RM bikes this year I thought I'd ask a few questions here:

Do they seat well using the ghetto gorilla tape method?
    Has anybody tried the ghetto split tube method on them?
    I saw one post mentioning the 19mm Bontrager strip fits will, which seemed odd since they're 18.2mm. Does this in fact work?
    Am I stuck buying the Stan$$$ strips?

I am 165lbs and easy on equipment. I do not want to run tubes if at all possible. Thank you for your help.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I have infernos on my cannondale, I have been running them tubless for the last year with no problems. I dont go any lower then 24psi as they are NOT a tubless ready rim. I am 175 with out gear and ride lots of rocks/roots.

I am using gorilla tape. Stans also worked.

Also add that I can only seat with compressor.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Thanks for the information. I am going to try to use Bontrager TLR strips if I can find a set that fit. A few friends have used them in non-Bontrager rims successfully. If the 19mm strip doesn't fit I'll probably go the Gorilla Tape route too. Thanks for the assurance that some people have it working.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I have run this wheel set-up tubeless and it works well with 2 layers of Stan's tape.
    A couple of tips if the set-up does not seat immediately. I used the first step but not the second on this wheelset with Maxxis Ikon tires.

Install the tire with a tube, remove 1 side of the bead, add sealant, valve and then inflate. Since the bead only needs to seat on one side it works easier. If you are still having an issue then remove the valve core, inflate, take off the pump head and really, really quickly get the valve core back in. With the added volume of air that gets in the tire it seats very well. It is tricky getting the valve core back in though, but I have successfully done it.
    Inside Sales
    Rocky Mountain Bicycles
    My current rides
    2012 Vertex 990 RSL
    2013 Element 999 RSL
    2012 Proto Solo CXR Disc

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I didn't want to start a new thread, but I did want to know if anybody had received their '13 Vertex RSL. My LBS said they thought mine would arrive in the next couple of weeks but didn't seem certain on this. If somebody has a pic of their bike that would be great to help me get my fix.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Hi, a side question - anyone here run into quality issues with your inferno wheels? I bought a vertex 950 a few weeks back and have been riding it tubeless at 27psi front and rear. After a few rides the rear Inferno 23 wheel just started to disintegrate, with multiple spokes becoming loose at once. Then a few rides after wheel re-trueing 2 more spokes came loose on a ride. I don't remember such issues in any wheel I had over the last ten years. Wonder if it's an issue with Wheeltech inferno 23 wheels in general or if I just got a bad apple...

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Funny you say that. I've had some issues with spokes loosening, but I didn't think much of it. Yesterday I did a team 12 hour and got about 4 hours of riding in. I lost 2 spokes over the course of those 4 hours. I'm pretty disappointed in the wheels.