Thread: Vertex 10 1X9

mtbr member
    May 2009

Vertex 10 1X9

I was wondering if anybody has a vertex 10 converted to 1X9. I am thinking about it and would like to hear some feedback from people who have one. I'm thinking Black Spire big ring, 32T, jump stop and ? Any suggestions? Thanks.

ups and downs
    Or instead of the jump stop one of these Blacksipre inner guides.

What kind of terrain do you ride? 1x9 wouldn't work so well here on a mountainside, but if your terrain works with that sort of gearing there'd be no issue.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Well, i'm trying to figure out what gearing to use. I know I don't use most gears, and nine should be enough. I don't need the lowest gear. When I do climb really steep hills and stay seated, the bike will flip over, and if I stand, the back tire spins out. If I had very aggressive tires it may stop that problem, but I don't want overkill tires. I'm going to try riding for awhile in one gear range before I make a definite decision.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 76er
    Well, i'm trying to figure out what gearing to use. I know I don't use most gears, and nine should be enough. I don't need the lowest gear. When I do climb really steep hills and stay seated, the bike will flip over, and if I stand, the back tire spins out. If I had beginner skills it may stop that problem, but I don't want overkill tires. I'm going to try riding for awhile in one gear range before I make a definite decision.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Ha ha, pretty funny. I was however talking about hills closer to 90 degrees than 45. The ones most people don't even attempt. I see so called "professional mountain bikers" pushing their bikes up much lamer hills. Pussies.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Just read a review for IRC mibro for marathon tires. No wonder i'm spinning out on steep climbs......Guess i'll need much grippier tires to handle my muscular, very strong and beautiful legs. They do corner well though.