mtbr member

Used 2008 Rocky Mountain ETSX 70?

I want to pick up a used full suspension bike. I need to get something on the less expensive side. I found what looks to be a lightly used 2008 Rocky Mountain ETSX 70, for a price I can afford. I have been researching and came upon possible frame issues. Do you think that this is something to worry about.

A little about how the bike will be used.
    I started mountain biking about 27 years ago
    Haven't been riding much the last few years
    Have been riding dual sport motos instead
    I'm fat(about 200 #'s) and out of shape
    Started really getting back (for me) into mountain biking this year
    I ride mostly XC with some bike park riding(no big hucking of the bike)
    Riding the front range of Colorado, probably the west slope, and Moab
    I put in about 35 miles last week, and trying to ride as much as possible
    Currently riding a 1999 Schwinn Hardtail Homegrown

One more question Is it easy to get pivot bearings/ bushings and rebuild kits for forks/ shocks??

Thanks for any input
    Last edited by ironbrewer; 01-29-2013 at 03:19 PM.

ups and downs
    I had a 2004 and a 2007 ETSX. The ETSX70's after 2007 had mostly sorted out the seat tube cracking issues when they began using a externally butted lower seat tube. The 2008 ETSX70 also had the carbon rear swingarm which is important when you're in that 200 pound range, much less flexy than the alloy rear swingarm. It has quite a high bottom bracket compared to a hardtail and compared to the most current crop of full suspension bikes. It's not really a bike for grabbing air, especially for bigger guys, but it is a solid XC endurance ride FS bike that pedals efficiently.

You can still get factory and aftermarket bearing kits and the shock and fork are standard Fox bits, so all serviceable.

All that said, the newer 2012 Element 50 is a more balanced all 'rounder bike if you could find one in your price point.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    I had a 2004 and a 2007 ETSX. The ETSX70's after 2007 had mostly sorted out the seat tube cracking issues when they began using a externally butted lower seat tube. The 2008 ETSX70 also had the carbon rear swingarm which is important when you're in that 200 pound range, much less flexy than the alloy rear swingarm. It has quite a high bottom bracket compared to a hardtail and compared to the most current crop of full suspension bikes. It's not really a bike for grabbing air, especially for bigger guys, but it is a solid XC endurance ride FS bike that pedals efficiently.

You can still get factory and aftermarket bearing kits and the shock and fork are standard Fox bits, so all serviceable.

All that said, the newer 2012 Element 50 is a more balanced all 'rounder bike if you could find one in your price point.
    After your post and researching more, I'm not sure what year this is. Here is a picture for your enjoyment.

Since it doesn't have a carbon rear triangle I guess it couldn't be a 2008. It must be earlier. Just wondering If you can tell what year it is and if you think it would be good for a few years if its in good condition for well under a grand.

Thanks in advance for any info.

ups and downs
    I'd say from the paint scheme that's likely a very late 2008 ETS-X70 and they likely ran out of carbon rear swingarms. 2008 was the last year of production and this was one of the last of the Canadian made frames, so they were able to continue building the alloy rear swingarm for production bikes.

BikePedia - 2008 Rocky Mountain ETSX 70 Complete Bicycle

Even the 2007 ETS-X70 had the carbon rear swingarm...

BikePedia - 2007 Rocky Mountain ETSX 70 Complete Bicycle

Under $1000 is a good deal as you can't get much of anything beyond entry level for that kind of money. Even if you had to spend a couple of hundred bucks on fork/shock rebuild in the first few months that's still a bargain. The frame only price was about $2400.

mtbr member
    Is there a way to tell what year the bike is? Any easy to see frame details, or serial # list?? The reason I thought it was a 2008 was the paint scheme as well. Just trying to make sure.

ups and downs
    The serial number should have an "08" in it, and the serial number will run side to side across the bottom of the shell. Earlier serial numbers would have started with the year like this serial number from my 2004 ETS-X70. Later serial numbers may have started RMB08

This was my 2007 ETS-X70 with the carbon rear swingarm.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Used 2008 Rocky Mountain ETSX 70?-2007_0320dissy0002.jpg  

Used 2008 Rocky Mountain ETSX 70?-2007_etsx70.jpg  

Last edited by rockyuphill; 01-31-2013 at 10:22 AM.

mtbr member
    Just got an e-mail from the owner. The frame was replaced under warrantee 3-4 years ago. The bike was a 2006 or 2007. I'm guessing that means the frame is an 08 with an older (probably 06 swingarm)??

ups and downs
    That's a definite possibility, 2005 and later used the same style of alloy swingarm and the longer shock and suspension link. The newer front triangles were much less prone to cracking (nothing on a bike is indestructible). If you are able to look at it in person, the places that cracks happened tended to be around the pivots where they were welded to the seat tube, and they are usually very visible as cracks through the paint.

For reference I weigh abut the same as you, I tend to keep all my wheels on the ground and my ETS-X70's all survived nicely, I sold them and finally bought the carbon Element MSL 70.

mtbr member
    Is that a picture of your 2004 or 2007?? I only ask because it starts with 2004. I just found out that the guy selling it is a friend of mine. Its kind of weird how small the world is. I know he won't yank my chain. I'm going to look at it tonight.

Thanks again for all the info.

ups and downs
    The white BB is the 2004, the grey/black is the 2007, the images aren't all displaying properly

mtbr member
    Well I picked it up. From looking at the serial # it looks like the main triangle is an 2008. The bike looked to be in good condition except for a ding near the top of the downtube. Its a weird place for a ding. The shock and forks look to be in good condition, no cracks in frame, wheels are true, Thompson elite seat post, Easton carbon bars. The pivot bearings seem good. I'm going to tear it down and lube everything. Probably rebuild the forks and shock.

Here are some pics.

It looks like its been ridden, but taken care of.

Got it for less than 700 USD

ups and downs
    Wow, $700 is less than the cost of the Fox fork and rear shock, everything else is free. Is the ding on the underside of the downtube or on the top side of the downtube? Might line up with the fork knob if it's on the underside of the downtube. Heckuva deal at that price.

mtbr member
    its on the top leftside at about 10:30. Yeah I thought it was a good deal.