Grip it and rip it.

Bonking ... not feelin' well Took off the rear shock on my Element for a service, now can't get it back on

As the post says, I took off the rear shock on my Element 950 to get it serviced, now I've forgotten how to put it back on.

Anyone got any advice, pictures, or videos that might help???

Thanks!!!
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional"

michaelmblog.wordpress.com

mtbr member
    You're kidding...... right ??

Grip it and rip it.
    No lol, I can't seem to slot the rear part of the shock into where it should go, into the linkage type things.
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional"

michaelmblog.wordpress.com

ups and downs
    Luckily there's an app, errrr... a video for that

Technologies | Services

Here's the exploded diagram (obviously the link actually goes in front of the seat tube)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Took off the rear shock on my Element for a service, now can't get it back on-element-29-diagram.gif  

I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Head's up (for what it might be worth)... my wife had an issue with the monarch on her 950 holding air, so we had that replaced (no problem). A rubber band on my 970 came off (shouldn't have cleaned that area with a bristle brush), so we had to replace the rubber band. Long story short, the wife's swap was no problem, but then my LBS had a b*tch of a time putting my shock back together. Turns out it's much tougher to remount the shock if you try to first mount the top, then do the bottom (rear) vs. the other way around. I might be crazy, but once we gave the other way a try (taking the whole thing off and mountain the rear first), it was no problem.

mtbr member
    I have the same problem (Monarch not holding air). What was changed on your shock?

I also had a bit of a hard time putting the shock back after I took it to the shop (they thought the air leak was from the valve, but it turned out not to be). Do you have to lube the ABC bushings? The were bone dry on my bike.

ups and downs
    No lube on the ABC bushings, that just attracts dirt. Only metal to metal contact points should get grease, like the pivot bolts. The service videos describe the process in detail.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    How are the bushings holding up/performing on your bike? I really like the new Altitude and the instinct and they have the same ABC bushing system. I am debating on getting a new bike this spring and am considering the bikes above. The whole bushing thing has me worried a bit...
    Check out my riding blog:

http://onetrailatatime.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ggilings View Post
    How are the bushings holding up/performing on your bike? I really like the new Altitude and the instinct and they have the same ABC bushing system. I am debating on getting a new bike this spring and am considering the bikes above. The whole bushing thing has me worried a bit...
    No problem on my 970 or wife's 950. Put about 600+ miles on each of them so far.