mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Thunderbolts are arriving

This is the sweet spot for me, 120mm travel 650b. Shimano SLX build.

2014 Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt 750

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Carbon Frames are being introduced when???

wheelie king
    I demo'd a Thunderbolt 770. It was a lot of fun. I'm looking for more travel though, so I went with the Altitude.

mtbr member
    I really wanted to check these out when I bought my Giant a couple months ago but I just couldn't wait, anyone ridden one yet?
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Where are the best deals on Rocky Mountains within the US?? I don't have a dealer anywhere near me, so I will have to buy over the phone no matter what anyhow. I am looking at the Thunderbolt 750.

mtbr member
    Jenson is a dealer but don't stock Thunderbolts as of yet.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Anyone know of a shop that has a large Thunderbolt 750 in stock?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Jenson will not be carrying Rocky Mountain anymore. They are the last of the online retailers to have them. From now on, they will be strictly sold through the retail bike shops.

mtbr member
    I ordered one today and was told it will ship mid January. Going to be a long wait

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ptkevin View Post
    Jenson will not be carrying Rocky Mountain anymore. They are the last of the online retailers to have them. From now on, they will be strictly sold through the retail bike shops.
    That's good. I know a few retailers who stopped carrying them due to competing with on-line dealers.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Yeah, I would agree now since I got my Vertex Carbon hardtail on closeout at the end of last year online. Woulda been nice to pick up an altitude for 30% off though! Good for local bike shops though!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Actually , being from the Midwest having an online retailer is nice. I'm trying to find a thunderbolt, and am not having any luck. Rocky Mountain is going to lose a sale to Giant because I can't find a bike. If Jenson was a dealer, Rocky would have sold a bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I'm waiting for the carbon Thunderbolt and then eventually hoping to find a closeout (when the time comes), probably from a Canadien dealer hawking the goods on eBay with cheap US shipping. Jenson's prices were great and I understand the local dealers' plight, but paying 30% more + tax is not my cup of tea.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    @westin I'm with you. If you have some tools, knowledge, a computer and internet, you're burning your cash by walking into a bike shop in Canada for RM.
    C'mon Carbon Thunderbolt!!!

American Made!
    Thought I would share some Thunder Bolt love!

Had mine now for almost 2 weeks, so glad as the wait was worth it!!!

27 1/2 lbs as it sits for a size Large and the stock build weighed in at just over 30 lbs.

Build kit -
    Works Components 1 degree angle set
    Race Face Turbine Stem, 70 mm
    Enve DH bars, 800mm
    ESI Green Chunky grips
    SLX Brakes -the only stock item lol
    XO Rear shifter
    Race Face Next SL crankset, 32T ring
    XX 11-36 cassette
    KMC Gold chain
    HT Blue AE01 Pedals
    XO Short cage type 2 RD
    Reverb Stealth post, 125mm drop
    Phenom saddle
    Hope Pro 2 hubs in Blue
    Halo Vapour Rims in Blue, set up tubeless
    Hans Dampf front tire and Maxxis Minion DHR rear tire

Some glamour shots from one o my favorite local trails -

Thunderbolts are arriving-thunder-2.jpg

Thunderbolts are arriving-thunder-1.jpg

Thunderbolts are arriving-thunder-3.jpg

Thunderbolts are arriving-thunder.jpg
    What is thy bidding, my master.

mtbr member
    That's a pretty bike! Looks like you put lot's of thought into the colour of the components but I have to ask about the pink bottle and cage.

wheelie king
    Nice!

American Made!
    Quote Originally Posted by sand wedge View Post
    That's a pretty bike! Looks like you put lot's of thought into the colour of the components but I have to ask about the pink bottle and cage.
    Had to add a "dash" of pink somewhere on there

It's just the way I have always built up bikes

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    care to offer a review of that bad-arse blue bolt? curious how it may compare to previous or other bikes you've ridden?

American Made!
    Quote Originally Posted by kamper11 View Post
    care to offer a review of that bad-arse blue bolt? curious how it may compare to previous or other bikes you've ridden?
    Most definitely!
    Since last summer within the 650B realm I have spent time on a Giant Trance ADV 1, Intense Carbine, Santa Cruz Solo and the Rocky Altitude 770 MSL.

Giant was a favorite because for the amount of travel - 5.5"- it pedaled up and around hills beautifully. Descending was great but I just always felt a bit tall in the saddle - maybe a bit high bb for me - and would've done the same thing I did to the T-Bolt and made a bunch of modes to it.

Carbine I still have its one that while it may not climb as effortlessly as the Giant it absolutely shines in the twists, turns and down. This bike along with the Altitude was one of my favorites at our local bike park.

Solo is what I had originally ordered last spring but the bike was back ordered forever, or at least it felt that way for me. I spent a few weekends on the LBS demo and it was a blast. May not have that planted feel the Intense and Altitude did but going up its ridiculous...and I realize that 120mm is a bit less then 160mm but still the short chainstays made it a hoot to zoom around.

Altitude was the bike that I used a lot this summer. Anytime the plan was for 4 plus hours with lots of up and some steep, chunky, scary down this was the tool!
    I am on the fence with the Ride9 chip. I like the ability to alter the angles etc but to do that on the trail you really have to make sure you readjust the rear shock pressure and maybe even the levelness of the saddle. Minor I know but I can't see doing that on a long ride plus it had too many "switches" in the handlebars lol!
    But the Rocky blew me away with how well it pedaled with its amount of travel, especially tech up hills. Absolute caterpillar drive and when the trail turned down and got nasty the bike instilled a ton of confidence......

Which led me to the Thunderbolt!
    Out of the box the large felt perfect. I was worried the TT might be too short but once on it with a 70mm stem it gives me a very neutral feel which in turns makes climbing feel like a lot less effort body-wise.
    I have spent over a month now pretty much exclusively on the TBolt and love it!
    With the 1 degree angle set and a 130mm Pike up front I feel very confident in the steeps and diving into corners but what I really dig about this bike is how well it goes uphill. Standing, sitting doesn't matter. I really think Rocky nailed the suspension. I have come up short on a couple gaps and the bike has handled it. Perhaps the Minion DHR set up tubeless helps a bit too!
    I am riding the bike likes it my DH rig on the downs and so far so good.
    Just raced Super D on it last weekend at our local "winter" race series and the little 120mm wrecker placed 5th in 35 plus Expert! Not too bad since I washed out in a corner too lol!
    Taking the bike for 3 days to Hurricane this week so Grafton Mesa and Little Creek should be another great test.
    I am of course excited for when the carbon version of the Tbolt comes out this summer, just hope its a cool color!
    A bit of rambling but hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    That is a great review - not rambling when you have something worth reading!

But now ya done did it - hit on a couple other rides that are on my radar - could bring home a new Rally edition altitude for a ridiculous price, but truly think it could be too much squish - your comment about the 770 kinda alters that view - I just need to swing a leg over it - but trails are snowed/mudded out round here and even tho tempted to just do it - i need to give er a fair shake

which led me to inquire about the thunderbolt - and you did exactly what I'd do - add a bit more fork and travel

my list also contains Sight Carbon, Intense Carbine 275 and Kona Process 134 (expecting a 134 C out sooner v later and pretty much expect if so - it will be mine) but want to give em all a fair good look

thanks again - btw -your carbine the 275?

wheelie king
    I am on the fence with the Ride9 chip. I like the ability to alter the angles etc but to do that on the trail you really have to make sure you readjust the rear shock pressure and maybe even the levelness of the saddle. Minor I know but I can't see doing that on a long ride

I don't think the ride 9 was designed to be switched out on the trail. It not only changes the angles, but the feel of the suspension as well. Get it dialed to feel they way you like according to your riding style and trails and leave it there.

plus it had too many "switches" in the handlebars

Agreed, which is why I got rid of the remote on my Altitude. I sent my shock to Fox and had a standard ctd lever installed.

But the Rocky blew me away with how well it pedaled with its amount of travel, especially tech up hills. Absolute caterpillar drive and when the trail turned down and got nasty the bike instilled a ton of confidence......

Totally agree with this statement. Coming from a 127mm Trance X, I was worried that the 150mm would be too much travel and pedal sloppily. Not so, I'm loving the way it pedals and handles. I spent a little time on the Thuderbolt. It was also a great bike, I just wanted more travel and the versatility of the ride9. If you're looking for less travel, I think the Thunderbolt with a longer travel fork would be awesome.

American Made!
    Quote Originally Posted by kamper11 View Post
    That is a great review - not rambling when you have something worth reading!

But now ya done did it - hit on a couple other rides that are on my radar - could bring home a new Rally edition altitude for a ridiculous price, but truly think it could be too much squish - your comment about the 770 kinda alters that view - I just need to swing a leg over it - but trails are snowed/mudded out round here and even tho tempted to just do it - i need to give er a fair shake

which led me to inquire about the thunderbolt - and you did exactly what I'd do - add a bit more fork and travel

my list also contains Sight Carbon, Intense Carbine 275 and Kona Process 134 (expecting a 134 C out sooner v later and pretty much expect if so - it will be mine) but want to give em all a fair good look

thanks again - btw -your carbine the 275?
    my Carbine is the black and yellow 27.5

And I love the Process 134 - the short chainstays sold me-and Carbon should tweak the ride feel a bit and save some ounces!