mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Thoughts on Rocky Mountain Element 10

I am new to the whole mountain biking scene as of a few months ago and I dont really know one Brand from another. I have raced motocross most of my life and I am finding myself adapting pretty quickly. I went out and purchase a specialized hardrock and now realize this probably wasnt the bike that I wanted. Just to get an idea of what I was missing out on I went and rode a $2500 dollar bike and was amazed at the difference. I went the the LBS and they directed me to the Rocky Mountain Element 10. They were willing to cut me a deal on it and put it in my price range. I heard the whole sales pitch but is this bike the best bang for my buck? Is it everything he said it is?

ups and downs
    Well there's a big difference between the Element 10 and a $2500 bike, the Element 10 lists for about $1500. The 10 is not a bad entry level FS bike, but the Element 50 is about $2500 and is a platform that is worthy of upgrades, but doesn't need many upgrades out of the box. The 50 uses better frame tubes, fork and shock, and has better brakes and drivetrain.

If you think this is something that you'll get hooked on, the 50 is a bargain, as you couldn't upgrade the 10 to the 50 level for the $1000 price difference. It sounds like you're at the first serious purchase level where you have an idea of what you don't like in your current bike

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I hate low end Rocky Mountains. They have the worst components, which make them look bad, and for the price paid, are crap. Go for the 50, you wont regret it. See if you can pay the Bike Shop in parts.
    Last edited by Garlock; 08-26-2008 at 06:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I would love to have the best of the best but $2500 is just gonna be more than I want to spend right now. I can probably swing bout $1500. Are there other brands I should look at? At this poing I think anything is going to be better than the Hard Rock that I have now.

ups and downs
    $1500 gets you a nice hardtail but generally pretty low end FS bikes. Even Giant's Trance 1 vs Trance 2 is about the same price jump between the Element 10 and 50, and in components and suspension.

Something like an Ibex Asta flips the formula around and you get really decent components on a cheap frame. This frame is a bit heavier than an Element, has longer chainstays and slightly slacker angles so it will be slower handling.

chukarhntr1
    Nov 2007
    I had about the same budget as you last spring. I was looking at a Cannondale Rush and Prophet, and the Element 10. The Rush and Prophet both had better forks and similar drivetrain for about $1700. I went with the Element because it fit better. The shocks work well enough for me, and the fit just made the decision for me. Depending on how long of a top tube you need, you might want to look at some of the Cannondales.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I am quite happy with my E10, it is a great trail bike for the $. yes, there are better bikes out there if you want to spend more dinero, but it is about as solid ride you can get for the $. IMHO it is much better then the specialized for the same $. I found mine on sale at the end of last season and it was a bargain.

29 pounds is a bit heavy so I plan on upgrading wheels and drivetrain as I wear things out (or go on clearance) to make it a bit lighter. You can get the bike down a few pounds for little money if you are willing to be patient with ebay and online sales. (then you have spare parts too)

Also many of us are hard on equipment and dont really need to worry about damaging carbon seatstays.
    Rocky Mountain Element
    Orbea Lobular CX