mtbr member
    May 2006

Stans Crest Rims on 2014's...

If the 2014 Vertex 990 RSL and Element 999 RSL both come stock with Stan's Crest Rims that have a Max recommended rider weight limit of 190lbs, should a person at 195 plus some gear look at changing them right away? If so to what?
    Thoughts?

ups and downs
    Depends on how close you want to stay to the weight and what you want to spend. The ZTR is 380gms,

DT Swiss XR 331 in 29" are the same weight and have a 100kg rider+bike weight limit

Mavic X719 disc rims are 460gms but they don't talk about weight limits.

WTB KOM 29" rims are 448gms there's no rider weight limit spec

and of course, at the top of the heap, Enve 29" XC carbon rims at 382gms
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I agree, nice options. But, you have to trade the stock wheels in, have a new set built, or try to sell the stock on Pinkbike...
    Dealers will have to warranty all the dented, bent or outta true ZTR's that they sold on bikes to 'average' guys out there.

ups and downs
    That's always the downside of wanting to buy the weight weenie versions. I know as I'm the same weight as you (in optimum fitness) and 200 pounds in less optimum fitness and possibly heavier than that in the really less optimum condition I'm in now - I had to add 10PSI to my rear shock. The Enve wheels are light and have no practical rider weight limit. Pricey yes, but you can have your cake and eat a few slices too.

chips & bier
    Quote Originally Posted by Kananaskis View Post
    If the 2014 Vertex 990 RSL and Element 999 RSL both come stock with Stan's Crest Rims that have a Max recommended rider weight limit of 190lbs, should a person at 195 plus some gear look at changing them right away? If so to what?
    Thoughts?
    I'd swap out the rear rim for an Arch EX. Providing the ERDs of both rims conform to Stan's spec you can probably get away with using the same spokes.

That said: NoTubes ERDs do tend to vary a little bit, so no guarantees there - it's a try it and find out deal.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I guess I find it strange you have to change out a wheel set on a new bike, right off the floor. I know on road bikes they usually spec. a $250 wheel set on a $8000. bike, but at least you can ride them with out fear of taco'n them if you hit something, LOL!

ups and downs
    There's a basic assumption that high end bikes are most likely going to be used for racing by riders with 8% BMI. The industry average rider weight for MTB's seems to be around 150-175 pounds anyway, no matter what size of frame it is. That's why you can get a big improvement in standard shock and fork tuning if you're outside that weight range if they get Push'd or tuned so the valving is matched to the rider weight range. Obviously tall and skinny riders like Kabush and Kulhavy perpetuate the idea that bigger frames don't need to be factory tuned to heavier riders.