mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Spokes get loose on altitude 750 MSL '13

Hey there,
    Here in El Paso, Texas we have really rocky gnarly terrain and the spokes of my rear tire like to get loose. I think it is because they are not twisted when they meet the hub nor are they screwed in they're just sitting there and can rotate around themselves. I don't know what to do, I would like to get another wheelset but currently don't have the money for a decent one. I thought of just putting some drops of superglue at the top of the spokes. Or is this a super stupid idea?

What do you think? I already lost 2 spokes and now I check them before every ride (just how they sound, and if too deep I will tighten them up a little) still stupid tho because this doesn't keep the wheel trued. Luckily they guy from my LBS is awesome and lets me true my wheels for free. But I want to get a more permanent solution that is cheaper than a new wheelset. By the way: any recommendations on wheelsets that are on sale right now?

Sent from my LT26w using Forum Fiend v1.0.1.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Can you post a picture? I can't visualize what you've got and, believe it or not, I haven't memorized the spec of every bike in every catalog.

Sounds to me like your spoke tension may be too low in general. Try making the whole wheel tighter. Compare to a hand-built wheel with a similar spoke count for a reference.

Don't use super glue. If it works, you may not be able to maintain the wheel anymore. If it doesn't work, it was a waste of time. The weakest loc-tite is okay, but you really shouldn't need it if everything else is correct.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

ups and downs
    Definitely a properly tensioned wheel shouldn't come loose. The LBS should do a proper wheel tune as part of their normal customer support/warranty service (one would hope).

BTW, if you have actually broken spokes or they have come loose enough to back out completely, the whole wheel will likely want a rebuild with proper spoke tensioning and stress relieving, otherwise you're likely to break the surviving spokes.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Spokes get loose on altitude 750 MSL '13

I ordered the bike via Jensonusa and all my lbs are not rocky Mountain retailer.
    So I won't get free warranty service.
    Hm maybe all spokes should be tensioned a little more. When you "break" a spoke how does this look like?
    Or maybe it is the nipples fault?

Sent from my LT26w using Forum Fiend v1.0.1.

ups and downs
    Two standard places to break a spoke, at or inside the nipple or at the J bend. J bend breaks are usually due to over-tension or collision with sticks. Breaking spokes in the nipples is more common from running the wheel with under tension as that allows the spoke to flex at or near the threads in the nipple. If your local shop has a spoke tension meter get them to tune and true the wheel with proper spoke tension.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Take the wheel in when the tech can show you how he trues it. You pay but you can learn good info.
    Ask for 120kgf on the drive side and you should get 85+ on the disk side to get the proper dish and true the wheel.
    If he lets you true for free, use his tension meter to get 120 on the drive side, in stages if you are below that a lot.
    Stress relieve the wheel and check it again before you finish.
    If you are a real heavy rider you may need another solution.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I thought Jenson was supposed to be pretty good at customer service?

Give them a call. See if they offer you a resolution you like.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx