mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Spacing the Fork up to 160mm?

Hey I thought about just doing that on my 2013 altitude 750 msl.
    How big of a change is it and is the climbing efficiency affected by that? Will geometry be like the one of a altitude rally edition? Is it just a spacer that you take out?

I ride in El Paso, Texas area everything from XC to Dh. My altitude is my much loved do-it-all machine. The trails are really rocky and demanding trails lots of climbing and lots of rough descends.
    My concern is wheel uplifting on steep descents. I ride it in the slackest setting.

Sent from my LT26w using Forum Fiend v1.0.1.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    geo will be exactly the same as the rally edition.
    '14 rocky mountain altitude, rally edition
    '11 transition blindside

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Yes? In another thread I read that the rear triangle is different. Does frame size make any difference? I'm on a xl frame.
    I would really like to hear something of people who did it, how did they like it?

ups and downs
    The Altitude carbon and alloy rear triangles are different looking from each other in detail at the shock/swing link area, but all the alloy rear triangles are the same and all the carbon rear triangles are the same.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    all the altitude frames have the same geometry (with equivalent forks) and same suspension characteristics. rally edition is different because of longer fork, (and some different parts). I think i saw somehwre that the carbon rear triangles have a bit more tire clearance.
    Making your fork 10 mm longer will give it the Rally geo. What fork is it, fox 34 float CTD? can its travel be increased to 160?
    '14 rocky mountain altitude, rally edition
    '11 transition blindside

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    yes it is the 34 float that comes in 160mm but was downspaced to 150mm.
    hey anybody who did that can tell me how the difference feels?

ups and downs
    With the Ride9 adjustment, you can help correct for the change in geometry that you get. A 10mm fork travel increase is about 0.5 degree slacker headangle and about a 5mm higher BB. So you can adjust Ride9 to lower the BB again or steepen the head angle.

Here's the real question though, are you using up your 150mm of travel? If not what are you hoping to gain from that 10mm additional travel?
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Well yeah I never bottomed it out if you mean that by using all the travel. Because of the o ring on the fork I can see how much travel I used and I regularly see that I used at least 140mm so 1cm or less travel left I think that is like using all the travel right?
    I just expect a smoother ride but would still like to hear people who did this and since I'm using all the travel it might be useful for me.
    How do I take those spacers out?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

This is how the fork looks like and how much travel I use

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Anybody who did it knows about how it will affect climbing?
    I love technical climbing and if it has a really negative effect on climbing i might reconsider that, even though i do not know if the change from 150mm to 160mm is big enough to affect it much.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    ahhh...the beauty of the ride 9!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    There's a bushing you can buy directly from Fox. If I remember correctly, the part was about $3 and shipping was abou $11. So asside from that feeling a bit imbalanced, $14 bucks shipped for this mod is a great deal.
    Take out air spring, remove existing colored rubber bushing, install new smaller different colored bushing, reassemble fork, ride bike.
    Will be doing it this weekend. I anticipate the bike feeling like a slacker bike with 10mm additional travel. If it doesn't feel good, either the old bushing can be returned or the Ride9 can be tweaked. This is a low commitment modification.