Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeL
    Lots of people ride 29ers on that terrain. There are lots of reviews on Galbraith and Squamish type terrain. Another review like that .... boooooring. I wouldn't be interested in writing a review like that. What I was interested in was exploring how this bike would do in technical terrain.

I've ridden LOTS of bikes that were billed as XC/AM on the Shore and they did well (eg Norco Fluid, RM Altitude). The 29er did much worse than those bikes in that terrain comparatively speaking. If you can't see the utility of my review then all I can say is that we will have to agree to disagree
    Sure, I understand where you are coming from Lee. I have an '07 Fluid SE that I have tricked out and riding it on the N.Shore and it does handle the terrain well. But, I have a Fox 36 on it now, 70mm stem, 185mm Elixir CR and add all the upgrades to a bike that started with a 68deg head angle, it is competent. But, my Slopestyle kills the terrain and is far more competent performer. But, take the Fluid on a 5 hour ride with a lot of up and down, some technical terrain etc, the Slopestyle isn't in the ball park. Horses for courses, I guess.

It is good that you are listing your biases so that will definitely help people read more into the review.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bog
    I gotta say you lost me early on with this one too Lee. I realize that you did try to qualify your experiences but being disappointed with a bike that's just not meant for this terrain is a bit off.

I can take my Nomad to race the Test of Metal this weekend but I'd expect it to be slow and mushy due to the laid back geometry, short top tube, heavy tires and squishy coil sprung suspension. I definitely wouldn't call these shortcomings of the bike and I wouldn't try to swap XC wheels onto it and expect it to fare much better.

That being said, I don't find either of my 29ers diificult to ride on the Shore trailes like Ned's, Corkscrew, 7th, Pipeline or Ladies only. It's probably because the wheelbases are shorter than the 26" bikes that I've ridden (and own) and my 29er HT has a pretty slack head angle. I still choose my Nomad pretty much every time I visit the Shore because that's what it's built and spec'd for.
    Its great to get input. One of the worse things is a review met with resounding indifference. So thanks for the comments and keep them rolling

If I said that the Alitude 29er's shortcoming was its limited Shore ability then I have to work harder at conveying meaning because thats not what I said or intended to say.

I did say that its downhill/freeride ability has a "limited envelope". I'm a big believer in taking xc/am bikes outside their comfort zone (CCM knows this). A lot of AM and even xc bikes have surprised me by being very capable in wtf terrain. The Altitude 29er imo is NOT one of those bikes.

That's not a big surprise. Rocky doesn't pretend this bike is a Shore bike. So it's not a slam on Rocky. It's a reality check on the bike and my opinion on what it would take to expand the bikes downhill capabilities without (IMO) hurting its uphill ability
    Locals' Guide to North Shore Rides http://mtbtrails.ca/

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by leggatt
    Throwing flat pedals on, short stem, big tires really pushed the review out there in my mind.

The pictures were good though.
    Just to be clear on this. 2.25 Nevegals aren't really IMO big tires. They're actually a tiny bit narrower than the stock 2.4s which came with the bike. A 70mm stem is a $ 50 investment that a lot of people make - you can see boxes and boxes of 90 and 100mm stem in bike shops from such swaps and if you buy a bike from a shop; most LBS's will make that swap for free. Flat pedals are also imo legitimate trades; a lot of people run those.

To be clear I ran that bike on the Shore with the stock setup first before making the component changes. I also rode the bike in Squamish and Whistler and Pemberton with the stock setup before making those component changes.

IMO this is fair methodology as I then have some baseline to compare the stock setups vs the modified setup - AND - I make changes that are reasonable within most rider's budgets.

Big dollar budget changes are IMO more noteworthy and should be specifically mentioned in reviews - ie if a bike's suspension sucks I'll pay particular attention to that since its such a big dollar item.

Thx for the observation though and the opportunity to clarify!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I have to resist throwing a chain guide and stubby stem on every bike I have!

Subject to Whimsy
    Dec 2009
    It's interesting with the videos. I find that they are often very one dimensional in feel even with helmet cams and, much like it's very difficult to convey angle of slope or steepness with still shots, it appears a similar problem exists with video in that the difficulty of the terrain is hard to convey/imagine without having ridden it.

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowup
    It's interesting with the videos. I find that they are often very one dimensional in feel even with helmet cams and, much like it's very difficult to convey angle of slope or steepness with still shots, it appears a similar problem exists with video in that the difficulty of the terrain is hard to convey/imagine without having ridden it.
    darn - i was hoping that the videos would help. I know photos never really did the trick. You'll just have to visit and ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowup

Not a knock on the review but I have the same experience when watching mtb vidoes - they do not convey perspective and relative speed very well - I'm not techy but I imagine it's due to the limitations of current cameras.

mtbr member
    Oh - and what I like about this review was that Lee explored the limitations of the bike and found them for him. While some might think that the terrain is not suited to the bike so it was unfair, if you didn't know any better and read other reviews you'd think this bike could go anywhere. It's not exactly easy to take prospective new bikes for a test spin on the trail so I find reviews like this offer useful information to consider. Your terrain and skills may differ but at least some sort of benchmark has been etablished to gauge this bike against.

ups and downs
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Zoidberg
    Not a knock on the review but I have the same experience when watching mtb vidoes - they do not convey perspective and relative speed very well - I'm not techy but I imagine it's due to the limitations of current cameras.
    and a lack of depth, wait 'til they have 3D helmet cams...
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

ups and downs
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

North Van/Whistler
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill
    Awesome! Test the Altitude in the gnar of Florida (and to be fair South Carolina etc) and it will perform great

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3