mtbr member

Slayer SXC Canuck Frame Needed!

American living in Europe at the moment. Going "All Mountain" and settled on a Rocky Mountain frame. I need to get my hands on a Slayer Canuck Limited Edition. The problem I'm running in to is that most shops that carry it in Britain are wanting 1695 Pounds ($3,300). That's crazy. I know they go for around $2,000 in the States but I can't seem to locate one on an internet site to buy. Can anybody help? They don't have to be able to ship to Europe. I can have it sent to my parents house in California and they can forward it to me. It's a great way to get around import taxes! Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    The price in Europe is ridicolous, you're right. But you won't find it for 2 grand in the States either.
    The Canuck might leave a shop for 2200-2400$ or so if you're lucky. But you should hurry, as those special edition bikes are normally sold pretty fast. Many shops here in Europe were already sold out of Canucks.
    Just drop some of the shops a mail that carry RM. I coulnd't really find a price on the net either.

ups and downs
    Here's the list prices on the Slayer SXC Canuck.

mtbr member
    Thanks Rocky. Should have known if I wanted a good price for a Canuck then I have to buy from the Canucks.

chips & bier
    Quote Originally Posted by SC_Fan
    It's a great way to get around import taxes! Thanks

I've tried this a couple of times (have so family in SoCal, live in the EU myself), and there's a pretty good chance of any package being intercepted, opened, and the customs guys slapping whatever percentage plus sales tax onto it. Any item over a certain value can be taxed, and the whole 'free gift' thing doesn't put customs off either. At best you can try writing 'warranty replacement' on the box, but even then I've had people be difficult about it. Problem is: you can appeal the decision to charge duties on your frame, but that might mean you don't see your frame until the appeal has come though, too.

Not to put you off, but be aware there's a good chance you'll still end up paying through the nose.

ups and downs
    If your location in Europe is not permanent and you're planning on moving back when the job is completed, check into the status of having items declared as either being "Free Domicile" or "Settler's Effects" where you agree not to sell them in the EU and that they are your property that you are bringing in and taking back with you when you leave.

mtbr member

No Problems Yet!

Quote Originally Posted by eric

I've tried this a couple of times (have so family in SoCal, live in the EU myself), and there's a pretty good chance of any package being intercepted, opened, and the customs guys slapping whatever percentage plus sales tax onto it. Any item over a certain value can be taxed, and the whole 'free gift' thing doesn't put customs off either. At best you can try writing 'warranty replacement' on the box, but even then I've had people be difficult about it. Problem is: you can appeal the decision to charge duties on your frame, but that might mean you don't see your frame until the appeal has come though, too.

Not to put you off, but be aware there's a good chance you'll still end up paying through the nose.

I've not had a problem with this method in the last 6 years. I have my parents take the items out of the store boxes they were shipped in and place them in a plain box with no markings or paper work (they mail the paperwork/invoices to me seperatly). They also declare it as a gift and the value as being far less than what it actually costs. Then we hope it doesn't get lost or broke (insurance will only cover the cost of the value declared). So, even if the box is opened for inspection, there is no paperwork showing the actual price or that it came from a shop in the States. There is no way for customs to prove that my parents paid a higher price for my items than what was declared.
    Last edited by SC_Fan; 02-26-2007 at 04:47 AM.

I CAN ALWAYS GO BIGGER
    Throw dirt on the frame before it is shipped.This worked with a box I sent to Germany.

mtbr member
    Did you use a "non original" box to ship it then? I'm not the best friend of the customs guys, so any advice is always appreciated