Te mortuo heres tibi sim?

Slayer SS/Royale questions...

Hey,

picking up a NOS 2010 Slayer SS/Royaleframe to replace my lift and shuttle/Moab trip frame. (an aging Devinci Frantik that works great as a plow bike, but isn't much in the finesse department, which is how i prefer to ride) but have a few questions. Looks to be a good fit and has the geometry I want. Not a lot of reviews, but the bits' I've found seemed good, and I got a price i"m happy with, so...

Not finding some info, and finding some stuff that appears to conflict with other stuff.

Rear axle? 10x135, 12x135, or 12x150? Looks like the completes are/were 10x135, but I've seen a couple listings saying 12x150. I've got 10x135 and 12x150 wheels in the house, but if it's a 12x135 my 10x135 can be swapped to 12mm, just have to get the right end bits.

Rear shock stroke, eye to eye, and hardware size anyone? 7.875 x 2.25 and 8x22mm I found mentioned one place, but don't know if that is correct. Will stick with the stock shock to start with anyhow, but you never know in the future.

Anyone got a line on some spare drive-side hangers? I'm not finding anything that even looks remotely close.

Yes, I've also mailed the questions to Rocky, but figure to ask the collective in here as well.

It's going to have a flush headset, Domain 180mm, dropper post for pedaling up the local stuff, moderately priced and burly enough-for-me build. Pretty much all stuff swapped from the old bike, with a new crank/single ring setup.

Any issues to be aware of?
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

ups and downs
    The shock and reducer info sounds right it was the same as the SXC, the linkage pieces were pretty much the same as the 2006 Slayers.

This hanger is the one shown in the tech manual

Small Parts-Derailleur Hanger-Derailleur Hanger - Flatline

you can get a close up look on this frame spec sheet

http://www.bikes.com/DATA/BIKE/685_en.pdf

there's some more info in German

http://www.bikeaction.de/media/pdf/Q...ew_SXCu.SS.pdf

http://www.bikeaction.de/media/pdf/2...s_Handbuch.pdf
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Awesome! Thanks! Peter from RMB got back to me with some info as well.

I spent an exchange year in Germany in high school, and am tolerably fluent in basic conversation now, many years later. The technical bits are a bit beyond me, but shouldn't be too hard to figure out.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Def 10x135...
    Product Manager
    RMB
    Main Rides: 14 Proto - 13 Element RSL 29 - 13 Altitude MSL - 13 Prestige RSL

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I built one up about a year and a half ago. Best all around bike i have had to date. climbs well, quick and snappy on the dh, jumps really smooth. I am very sad Rocky discontinued this frame, when mine dies I dont know what I would ride.

I see you got lots of help from the posts above, but just in case here ya go.
    Shock and Eye to Eye is 7.875x2.25 stoke, 10x135mm axle, 73mm Bottom Bracket, 66 degree head angle, and my bottom bracket height came in at 13.75 static. run minimum of 4 Inches of seat post in the seat tube or it will void the warranty, thats what my booklet that came with my frame said.

Only thing I would change on the frame is how the rear droupouts are, can be kind of a pain to bolt back on once removed with the rear derailure attached.

I run 175mm cranks on mine, I smack peddals all day it doesnt bother me much though. If your not used to riding a slopstyle frame, the low bottom bracket takes some getting used to. When my current cranks die I am going to switch to 165mm cranks to help clear with some of the more techy style climbs.

I had it set up 1X9 but switched it to a 2x9 setup with a blackspire stinger for a guide which works great. with the slack angles it helped alot when the climbs got a little steep.

Some form of a travel adjust front fork or a velcro strap to suck down the front end on long climbs, cause with the way slack head angle the front end will wonder on you like no other.

On steep rocky dh you will have to adjust your ride style a bit with the fairly short wheel base. Thats if your coming off of a full blown freeride or dh rig.

Hope all that Helps.

lets see some pics with it built up.

Moose Member
    THREAD REVIVAL!

Thinking about picking up and old 2009 RM Slayer SS 350.

is the shock i2i the same? 7.875x2.25? The one I'm looking at has a custom valved Fox Van R on it, but I want to throw a rockshox monarch on it. I could also swap out the domain it has for a fox 36 eventually (i just got to college, left my AM rig at home with the fox 36).

How will it compare to a FULL blown DH (I'd trade my Evil Revolt for it.) I'm more of a FRer than a DHer. although I'll still ride some DH on it.

Last question... Hows rocky mountains customer support/warranty? Do they still warranty Slayer SS's or offer crash replacements? I've always been a huge fan of RM, so I'm stoked that I might get this bike.

Moose Member
    This is it.

Slayer SS/Royale questions...-slaya-ss.jpg

ups and downs
    Warranty only covers the first owner, so unless you're buying new old stock, you won't have a warranty. That blue SS350 is actually a 2008 model, the 2009 SS SS models were orange (350), black (396) white (427) and yellow (SE) .

The shock is a 7.875" x 2.25". For any other shock you'd want to make sure it was valved to match the suspension leverage curve, which is designed to be very plush for the first half of travel and ramp up to prevent bottoming. The 2009 models all ran air shocks on the rear instead of coil, likely to help with more progressive rear travel to reduce the feeling that it was blowing through 2/3rds of travel too quickly.

With a 66d headangle it was more freeride than typical current DH geometry which would be slacker yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Moosey View Post
    THREAD REVIVAL!

Thinking about picking up and old 2009 RM Slayer SS 350.

is the shock i2i the same? 7.875x2.25? The one I'm looking at has a custom valved Fox Van R on it, but I want to throw a rockshox monarch on it. I could also swap out the domain it has for a fox 36 eventually (i just got to college, left my AM rig at home with the fox 36).

How will it compare to a FULL blown DH (I'd trade my Evil Revolt for it.) I'm more of a FRer than a DHer. although I'll still ride some DH on it.

Last question... Hows rocky mountains customer support/warranty? Do they still warranty Slayer SS's or offer crash replacements? I've always been a huge fan of RM, so I'm stoked that I might get this bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Slayer SS/Royale questions...-rocky-mountain-slayer-ss-396_levratio.jpg  

Last edited by rockyuphill; 09-12-2012 at 07:38 AM.

Moose Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    Warranty only covers the first owner, so unless you're buying new old stock, you won't have a warranty. That blue SS350 is actually a 2008 model, the 2009 SS SS models were orange (350), black (396) white (427) and yellow (SE) .

The shock is a 7.875" x 2.25". For any other shock you'd want to make sure it was valved to match the suspension leverage curve, which is designed to be very plush for the first half of travel and ramp up to prevent bottoming. The 2009 models all ran air shocks on the rear instead of coil, likely to help with more progressive rear travel to reduce the feeling that it was blowing through 2/3rds of travel too quickly.

With a 66d headangle it was more freeride than typical current DH geometry which would be slacker yet.
    Okay, I'll figure out the shock later, and that stuff, but have you ridden a slayer SS? do they jump better than a DH, and how strong are they? One major reason for my trading my DH for a slayer, would be the fact that my DH (Evil revolt) takes a lot of upkeep to keep it running smooth, and i need something I don't have to worry about as much. I can't worry about a swingarm snapping, or anything like that.

How will it hold up on big stuff? I'm planning on hitting virgin utah pretty soon, and my goal is a 20+ foot drop. it should hold on a nice landing right? Im not going to bender it up and huck 20+ feet to a almost flat landing. but the slayer should take the impact?

also, does RM have good customer service and still offer crash replacements?

66degree HA is perfect. I'm no racer, 63 is awkward feeling.

ups and downs
    I owned a Slayer 70 which was the father of the SS, with the same rear suspension design.

The SS was designed as a Crankworx Slopestyle type of bike, but anytime you're doing 20' drops to flat or near flat, you're going to beat the crap out of a bike and break stuff eventually. I'm not sure what bike would be considered bombproof on 20' drops to near flat.

Moose Member
    I owned a Slayer 70 which was the father of the SS, with the same rear suspension design.

The SS was designed as a Crankworx Slopestyle type of bike, but anytime you're doing 20' drops to flat or near flat, you're going to beat the crap out of a bike and break stuff eventually. I'm not sure what bike would be considered bombproof on 20' drops to near flat.
    Lol I didn't type it really clear. I will NOT be doing 20' to nearly flat. Only bender would. I'm not that stupid. I want to do a 20' drop to a nice tranny, and just want to know if it can hold.

If it was designed as a crankworx bike, then it should hold.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    hi, could you tell me the head tube size please? i need a 1.5 inch traditional.
    cheers.

ups and downs
    What year and size of frame? The older slayer SS were all standard 1-1/8" and the new ones are all tapered headsets.
    Quote Originally Posted by konastinkydosmil View Post
    hi, could you tell me the head tube size please? i need a 1.5 inch traditional.
    cheers.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

2011 frame

What year and size of frame? The older slayer SS were all standard 1-1/8" and the new ones are all tapered headsets.
    thanks for your reply to my question, the frame i was looking at was a 2011 but my fox 36 has a 1.5 steerer tube so its not for me, i'll keep searching. cheers.