mtbr member
    Aug 2006

slayer 90 shfting problems

I bought a 2006 slayer 90 this summer and have had nothing but problems with the drive train. Skipping gears etc. I have had 4 derailleur hangers replaced and a new rear cog set and chain. Nothing has resolved the problems. The bike shop I bought the bike from refuses to help me anymore. Anyone else had these kinda problems? any suggestions?

intentionally left blank
    Quote Originally Posted by sbskidmark
    I bought a 2006 slayer 90 this summer and have had nothing but problems with the drive train. Skipping gears etc. I have had 4 derailleur hangers replaced and a new rear cog set and chain. Nothing has resolved the problems. The bike shop I bought the bike from refuses to help me anymore. Anyone else had these kinda problems? any suggestions?
    can you be more specific about the problems? skipping in which gears? under heavy pedal load? and by skipping you mean that the chain is bumping up against the next highest/lowest gear?

if you've replaced the hanger, chain, and cogs then there must be a problem elsewhere. try different shifters and cables.

if those don't work, is there something out of alignment in the frame?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

slayer 90 shifting problems

Thanks for your quick reply

The gears are skipping in the middle range on the rear cogset the front ring position does not matter. This happens when there is load on the pedals. The hanger seems to bend easily on this bike. I do not know if it is a problem with the hanger, the design of the bike or like what you suggested a frame alignment problem. The bending hangers may be a symptom of another cause.
    The cables seem to move freely. This is a new bike this year. The bike has not been abused. I will try again to get in touch of some one at Rocky Mountain today.

Steve

LBS Manager
    My friend has a slayer 70 and it ghost shifts and skips sometimes. I think it is because of the nasty cable routing for the rear der. I am going to re-route his first chance I get. If you look at how the cable is routed near the seat tube you can see it has 2 tight bends. I would remove the cable from the cable stops and run a shorter more direct pice of cable and secure it with a zip tie.

LBS Manager
    The green line shows how I think the cable should be routed. The stock way puts 2 bad bends in the housing.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

slayer 90 shifter problems

Thanks Johnny
    I see what you mean and will take that under advisement. The Rocky Rep. called me and we are going to go over the bike. I will be sure to point that out.

Steve

LBS Manager
    Other than the shifting problem how do you like the bike? My friend loves his and he has actualy become a better climber since getting it. His last bike was a Rocky mountain Edge. I love the look and build quality of the new Slayer frames but I don't need that much bike. I ride an ETSX it is an indredible bike and I have never seen a company that stands behind their product better that Rocky mountain.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

slayer 90 problems

Hey Johnny

The bike is great when it is working the way it should. I love the ride. It definitely isn't an XC bike but still it works great on XC single track trails. I have a 2003 Kikapu Deluxe as well it is definitely XC. You are absolutely right etsx is a really good bike as well I have heard nothing but good since they beefed up the frame and tweaked it a bit. I considered buying one but the dealer recommended that I would be better off with the Slayer.
    I met with the Rocky rep. and discussed the bikes problems. He is going to take the bike back to Rocky and they are going to go through the whole bike and fix all the problems. You are right they are a stand up company.

Happy Trails
    Steve

ups and downs
    When I picked up my Slayer 70 the short section of rear derailleur cable casing between the derailleur and the last cable stop on swing arm was too short and was sharply kinked over the weld. It didn't have the sort of curve that SRAM describes in their setup instructions. I replaced that piece of casing with a slightly longer one at the same time I switched to a 11-34T PG-990 casstte and the ghost shifting problem went away.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

slayer

It seems that the frame seems to be tweaked where the derailleur hanger mounts. There could be some other frame alignment issues as well. The guys at Rocky will tear it down and re and re the bike so I've been told. I am sending it in on Monday and I should have it back in a week or so. I will get the full scoop as to what's going on with it when I get it back. I was even offered a loaner bike while mine is gone for repair.
    Thanks for the info on the cable I will watch for that.

Rocky Mountain cares about their customers even if some of the retailers don't.

Steve

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Slayer 90 Shifting Issues

Hi. Just thought I'd drop in my two cents on the shifting issues on the Slayer. ISorry to hear you are having problems with your bike, I have on as well, and I can't figure out where your problem is exactly. I have not had any shifting problems on mine though I did make some changes to my bike as I was putting it together. (I wrench at a shop in edmonton, so I kind just do this.)

The first was to re-arrange the spacers on the RaceFace Deus cranks to get the chain rings to sit as far in board as possible, this helps to keep the chain from being pulled off the cogs when you are in a big or middle ring up front and a larger cog in the rear.

The other thing I did was to install a nokon shift kit. This cable housing is made up of ball and socket aluminum segments strung along a hollow plastic liner. In addition to being compressionless it is also very supple. You can bend the housing like crazy and run really tight cable lines without affecting the shifting. So that middle section of cable housing that runs fromt the main frame to the swing arm can bend as much as it likes and it won't affect cable tension. The nokon stuff costs more money, and can be tricky to set up, but it performs very well. I put it on all my bikes now.

Also as far as your derailer hanger problems go there is a company called North Shore Billet, or NSB, that makes aftermarket derailer hangers that are machined froma harder aluminum alloy than the stock rocky ones. You do run a greater chance of hurting your derailer or your frame (!) than you would normally do, but these units do give the derailer a firmer mount to work off of.

Hope this helps. If you keep having problems please post again.