mtbr member
    May 2007

Slayer 70 Shock Bolts Damaged

Hi,

I've got an amazing Slayer 70 for 6 months now, yesterday I decide to get out my Rp23 for first maintenance, cause it was not working as good as I expect...but I was really surprised when I saw that Shock Bolts where damaged as this:

Slayer 70 Shock Bolts Damaged-img_0073.jpgSlayer 70 Shock Bolts Damaged-img_0074.jpgSlayer 70 Shock Bolts Damaged-img_0075.jpg

Unfortunately I only ride once a week. Never ride under wet conditions (I'm from Spain so we have really warm weather).

Never wash it with high pressure machines.

I'm not a hard rider, just all mountain or endurance user with no big jumps or similar.

What happened here? I'm worried If I need to check the rest of parts of the frame...

In my previous bike, I had It for 3 years and nothing like this happened.

ups and downs
    That looks like severe galvanic corrosion (between aluminium and steel) of those anodized alloy bolts, as it's just inside the area of steel shock reducers, not in the frame pivot areas. Was there any sign of grease in that area? There should be a good film of grease on any metal to metal contact areas of the shock bolts and frame pivots.

Because there is a steel reducer sleeve in the shock you should be able to just clean those bolts up with some emery cloth so there's no burrs and coat them with grease and re-use them.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    That looks like severe galvanic corrosion (between aluminium and steel) of those anodized alloy bolts, as it's just inside the area of steel shock reducers, not in the frame pivot areas. Was there any sign of grease in that area? There should be a good film of grease on any metal to metal contact areas of the shock bolts and frame pivots.

Because there is a steel reducer sleeve in the shock you should be able to just clean those bolts up with some emery cloth so there's no burrs and coat them with grease and re-use them.
    First of all, thanks for answer. There where no signs of any grease or oil there, it was very dry.

I will apply emery cloth and grease on the bolts and re-use thems.

Meanwhile I will write an email to rocky mountain shop, It will be great if I can buy some replacement and buy a set of bushings / bearings for future replacement when necessary.

So, do you think I need I should check another frame part to find if it's well greased?

ups and downs
    You also want to clean out any corrosion on the inside of the steel shock reducer sleeves. It's worth checking all the big suspension pivot bolts for grease, they should all have grease where the bolts touch the bearings and metal spacers.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada